Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 of the Toronto Maple Leafs vs Montreal Canadiens series

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac nylander

May 23, 2021
New York, NY
Hoping Marner can start slowing the game down for himself asap.
Nylander needs more mins, and as long as Thornton minimizes his liabilities on the ice .. his presence and leadership is far more valuable than bringing on someone else for the 4th line(would love brooks or Robertson playing with spez)
Also Spezza is just a stud.

Reactions: Rokker

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
damn its almost midnight. and i forgot my daily cussing at those filthy pos habs

f*** the habs
f*** montreal
f*** price
f*** weber
f*** petry
f*** edmundson
f*** gallaghar
f*** chiarot

but......

Wooooooooo.... bergevin.... keep challenging the legal goals bruh.... you the man.... your team needs more pk practice

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
There is a reason why goalies split back to backs

In the regular season, yes, a back-to-back is a good time to utilize your backup and give your starter a rest.

In a high-stakes playoff game, you don't start the corpse of Freddy Andersen just because it's two games in two nights.

Campbell will be fine and I fully expect him to start both. Not even if we were up 3-0 would I consider Andersen in Game 4. If we had a capable backup, maybe. But we have Freddy.

Reactions: Auston 316

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
with Winnipeg poised to sweep -the Leafs need to end this in Five.

How about we just win this next game, ok?

Even as a fan (obviously we have no effect on the outcome), we should never, EVER, get ahead of ourselves . . . especially this team. After we just tied the series. After blowing the first game badly.

Reactions: egd27

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The Leafs need to do the same things as they did in Game 2. Play them hard, limit the counter attack (this is where most of MTL chances come from), capitalize on our chances and lastly get the first goal of the game this time around. We play a lot better when they aren't chasing the game and are forcing the other team to make mistakes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
How about we just win this next game, ok?

Even as a fan (obviously we have no effect on the outcome), we should never, EVER, get ahead of ourselves . . . especially this team. After we just tied the series. After blowing the first game badly.

okay. and then we need to win the next two. prepare for bear.
and we didn't blow the first game badly. we lost by 1 goal. in a game that shook a lot of the team up.

it's a statement of fact. this teams intends to do a long run. Winnipeg is poised to sweep. the Leafs need to basically do the same. end of story.

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
Hoping Marner can start slowing the game down for himself asap.
Nylander needs more mins, and as long as Thornton minimizes his liabilities on the ice .. his presence and leadership is far more valuable than bringing on someone else for the 4th line(would love brooks or Robertson playing with spez)
Also Spezza is just a stud.

Not sure Robertson, team needs Simmonds type of player for physical presence. Don't see that Keefe would replace Thornton with Robertson yet. The 4th line is pretty much set at this moment.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
To preserve them for the playoffs...

No it's not that, you can always give them whatever rest they need the last week or two before playoffs. It's done because goalies save percentage drops by something like .15 in the second game vs if they were reseted in the first game. So even if your backup isn't that great you still normally have a better chance to win than with your #1, statistically.

That said I have no trust at all in Andersen, he's .895 this year, I'd rather take our chances with a tired Campbell. .895 is not even bad NHL backup, it's AHL caliber.

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
No it's not that, you can always give them whatever rest they need the last week or two before playoffs. It's done because goalies save percentage drops by something like .15 in the second game vs if they were reseted in the first game. So even if your backup isn't that great you still normally have a better chance to win than with your #1, statistically.

That said I have no trust at all in Andersen, he's .895 this year, I'd rather take our chances with a tired Campbell. .895 is not even bad NHL backup, it's AHL caliber.
But isn’t part of the reason that happens (sv % drop) because a tired team is playing in front of you? And the team you’re against us normally rested?

in this case both teams would be playing a B2B.

It’s the playoffs, unless someone’s truly injured you play your best players.

don’t overthink it.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
The Leafs should win this series, they're just on a different level. It comes down to if they put in the effort and compete. No excuses at this point of the year. Be ready and leave all of it out there.

Reactions: leaffaninvancouver

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Game/Series management by the refs needs to stop.

Call the penalties that need to be called, like last night. Every Montréal Dman comes into any hit, scrum etc. with their stick up.

Only way a talent starved team can compete.

That should be the case but we know how these things go. Montreal will likely get the edge in PPs this game, so hopefully the team stays disciplined and has been practicing the PP. Kill them 5v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad