Post-Game Talk: Game #3: Home Opener vs. Leafs

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Good game, guys. From an outside perspective, I was very impressed by Duclair. He was flying all over the ice tonight. I'd say he looks like a real good piece going forward for you guys.

Anyways, good luck going forward :cheers:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good game, guys. From an outside perspective, I was very impressed by Duclair. He was flying all over the ice tonight. I'd say he looks like a real good piece going forward for you guys.

Don't lie to us :laugh:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
This is literally the same stuff from last year. Alain's break out system is hard to learn and requires a tremendous amount of communication and understanding of how to play it and mutual chemistry. It quite literally will take games and time to nail down. Nothing that can be taught in camp.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Lee Stempniak gloved the puck down, had it stripped, Leafs score.

Miller misses a shot (obviously the only player to ever miss a shot ever), McDonagh can't keep the puck in, Henrik royally ****s up, JVR shorthanded.

Hayes loses his man while the Leafs have position and leave Kadri wide open in front of Henrik.

How are any of those Miller's fault? I don't even think he's been good. Just not this epitome of awful.

1st goal is on Stemp and Hank, no doubt.

2nd goal is on Miller and McDonagh. I find it hard to fault Hank for giving up a breakaway goal to a goal scorer.

Hayes should've been closer to Kadri, but that was a royal **** up of a miscommunication between G and McD. They both went to the carrier behind the net. No no no.

Anyway - was just pointing that out because three in a row is a hell of a coincidence, no?

Think the coaches agree with me considering Hayes was getting minutes in the third and Miller was with Glass and Fast.

But we'll see!

And of course:

THERE WERE A LOT MORE PROBLEMS ON THE ICE TONIGHT THAN JUST JT MILLER. JT MILLER IS NOT THE SOLE REASON WE LOST THIS GAME, NOR SHOULD THIS POST BE READ AS SUCH.

Zuccarello Awesome*

With regards to Miller, I guess I'm watching a different game. I'm serious, I have not seen this god awful hockey player all of you have.

I guess you're right and 20 of us are wrong.

Just kidding, you're wrong as usual and Miller has been horrible.

He can't receive simple, tape to tape passes. His head isn't in the game. He needs a fire lit under his ass.

I'm not worried about most of our players. It's been 3 games. But it's clear that we need a top-4 defenseman who can actually skate the puck out of trouble. McDonagh is the only one who is actually a MOBILE two-way defenseman. (Stralman was. His ability to skate the puck out of the corner and make a smart pass will be sorely missed) Dan Boyle should've retired. Staal is great against bigger teams but he is the opposite of mobile. Girardi is slow. Klein is slow. Moore is fast but he's tentative mentally and plays go to his stick to die.

We are going to need to find a way to add a guy like Edler, Yandle, Giordano, or go big for a guy like Seth Jones.

Once Stepan comes back, the lineup fleshes out into a much more balanced attack. But we absolutely need a top-4 who can skate. Dan Boyle (already hurt) is not the answer.

Lineup for Tuesday should be:

Duclair St. Louis Nash
Kreider Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Hayes Stempniak
Malone Moore Fast

Scratch Miller and Glass.

Although against the Isles, I'm sure AV will have Glass in, so perhaps Fast sits just for a game to get Malone in so he's not sitting for so long without playing. But Miller honestly didn't even earn a spot in preseason. He got the spot because he was already pencilled in as our 3C before training camp started. He's been terrible. Zero positives in his game so far.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Derek Holland played really well tonight. :naughty:

AHB*

2nd goal is on Miller and McDonagh. I find it hard to fault Hank for giving up a breakaway goal to a goal scorer.

Hayes should've been closer to Kadri, but that was a royal **** up of a miscommunication between G and McD. They both went to the carrier behind the net. No no no.

Anyway - was just pointing that out because three in a row is a hell of a coincidence, no?

Think the coaches agree with me considering Hayes was getting minutes in the third and Miller was with Glass and Fast.

But we'll see!

And of course:

THERE WERE A LOT MORE PROBLEMS ON THE ICE TONIGHT THAN JUST JT MILLER. JT MILLER IS NOT THE SOLE REASON WE LOST THIS GAME, NOR SHOULD THIS POST BE READ AS SUCH.

So you really hate JT Miller, got it.

BarbaraAlphanse

-Hayes had an okay first game. Really like his potential

-I liked what I was seeing from Hagelin. A lot of hard work from him

-Duclair is continuing the trend of "having the puck on a string" that was his characterization in Juniors.

-I REALLY hope that goal wakes Brassard up

-Congrats Nash on being a father!

Nothing else positive to say.

Uhhhhhh... wow negative nancy over here. Nothing else positive?!

How about:

- Henrik's hair looked DIVINE
- John Amorante's blue suit was ON POINT
- Cam Talbot's mask design was FIRE
- John Giannone's commentary was able to induce my first nap in over a year! That's a reason for celebration in and of itself
- On the bright side, Stu Bickel wasn't on the ice.

The list goes on man. The list goes on.

edanielsen

Apr 5, 2014
For the Islanders game we should park Hank (in full gear) in front of Halak on the PWP - perhaps then we'll have a chance to score

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
:deadhorse, but they really should've kept Stralman.

Now I don't really know what to expect from the defense.

You haven't really even seen the full defense yet. Dan Boyle, Stralman's replacement, has been injured...

The second pairing with Staal and Klein has been probably the best pairing since that happened (not saying much, but still).

Stralman would have had little to no effect on McDonagh and Girardi brain farting all over the place. Or on J Moore being J Moore. All is not lost.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

That's definitely a bit of a coincidence.

Miller had a puck chasing fiasco on Kadri's goal, and really, he was out of position. But Kadri is Hayes' man. And idk what the **** he was doing staring at him and not checking him.

I guess I'm more hopeful for Miller than everyone else because you can see the strong fundamentals in his game. And that there's plenty of time for him to start making an impact, this is his first full NHL season, he's still a kid. And like you said, he REALLY shouldn't be singled out with this awful start.

Wolfy*

Our savior...we desperately need you back, you're the heart of this team!

images

BarbaraAlphanse

John Moore must be pissed that Matt Hunwick is trying to take his title as worst player on the team.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
People do realize that in nature, top 4 defensemen are VERY hard to replace right?

I don't give a **** how deep a team is, no team is deep enough to truly offset the loss of a top 6 center, or a top 4 defenseman.

Why are people surprised the D looks worse without Dan Boyle?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
People do realize that in nature, top 4 defensemen are VERY hard to replace right?

I don't give a **** how deep a team is, no team is deep enough to truly offset the loss of a top 6 center, or a top 4 defenseman.

We're more at how bad top pair looked man cmon with that

Zuccarello Awesome*

It scares me that you think Dan Boyle is part of the solution.

We need defenseman who can SKATE. Dan Boyle doesn't fall under that category.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't see big problems here. It's a typical Rangers October. Lundqvist, McDonagh, and the team as a whole always start really slow.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
First the positives:

- Nash looks like lockout Nash again.

- Duclair continues to show that he belongs.

- Stempniak continues to prove what a bargain he was.

- Hayes looked good.

- Staal & Klein both had better games.

- Talbot steadied after his mediocre performance last night.

- Brassard scored - despite having a ****** overall game, hopefully that gets a monkey off his back.

And now the negatives:

- Hank, WTF? Looked like early last season Hank. Believe it or not, if you think about it, he just needs to make one or two quality saves (I won't even ask for his usual superstardom), that game is winnable, despite the other negatives.

- Despite winning more face-offs, MSL remains problematic at center. He's got 20 years of playing positionally as a wing to unlearn. Let's stop this nonsense - we're taking what was a strength (winger depth) and creating two weaknesses by playing him out of position.

- I have reserved judgment, but... Miller has gotten progressively worse since his first preseason game. Time for him to sit one out.

- Tanner Glass, who I had started to like during the preseason, is starting to fulfill some of the dire predictions. His puck control is non-existent.

- Brassard was playing with his head up his arse up until the goal.

- McD was all over the place - trying to do too much methinks.

- Girardi was scrambly. Looked like finals G.

- Hunwick looks like a 7th defenseman. I guess that's not a knock per se, but you're hoping that whoever steps in when you have an injury proves that he's more than a spare.

Mehs:

- D. Moore, Hags, Kreider, Fast, J. Moore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad