GDT: Game #3 | Detroit Red Wings @ Boston Bruins | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

This year we watched Jimmy Howard give away a freebie goal, making a close game out of a game that would have been a romp of the offense had better luck.
We've seen Franzen and Quincey's idiocy lead go goals against.
Yet the coach chooses to tell the press that the rookie didn't help the team with his 10 minutes from line 4 -- despite the fact that the rookie put the puck on the stick of miller in the slot, 4-5 feet out, and Miller couldn't do anything with it.

You know....Tie goes to the veterans.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I'm all for having Tatar accountable but it has to be for every player. Franzen looks like hes at sunday afternoon shinny. Sammy, Bert and Cleary (our leadership/vet/grit/supposed to overpower other3rd lines) havent looked anything special.

This team finished 20th in GF last year and didnt make any real additions. Thinking Smith and Kindl will improve and thats the only way we would increase our offense isnt the best way.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
The number of 25 goal scorers seems to have been going downhill every year since the last CBA, as more and more obstruction has been allowed to creep back into the game and fewer powerplays appear to be handed out. For an idea of how bad it can get, there's the last year before the 04/05 lockout there was just 42 twenty-five goal scorers.

IIRC the GMs wanted some obstruction to be allowed back into the game. The players were moving at too high of speeds, the lack of obstruction that was allowed & the removal of the 2 line pass, & it was leading to more injuries. The league now wants more scoring so I wouldn't be surprised to see them tightening up on the obstruction again.

Play with Datsyuk, score 20-30 goals
Abdelkader scored at a 34 goal pace in the second half last year

He was also scoring at any extremely high percentage, one that wasn't sustainable IIRC.

Brunner scored at a 22 goal pace last year.

But it's not 25, you can find around 90 guys every year that will score 20 goals but you said that 25 goal scorers were readily available.

Hudler and Flip both scored close to 25 goals on the first line for 2/3rds of the year without first line PP minutes.

True but they did play 2nd unit & they both received a fair amount of PP TOI/G, Filppula played 2:27 a game & Hudler had 2:14. They also produced reasonable numbers so it's not like playing on the 2nd unit hurt them at all. They did most of their damage at ES anyways.

Name the last guy on the Red Wings to play alongside Datsyuk or Zetterberg on line 1 for the majority of the year and fail to score close to 25 goals?

I'm not sure but you could put a 10-15 goal player up there and get a 20-25 goal scorer just because of the increased opportunity that they would get.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Honestly, with Jensen out, I'd expect both Ouellett and Almqvist to be given shots at the big club this year when injuries hit. Which one gets the shot first probably depends on who goes down.

For that matter, depending on how we do, maybe Kenny will trade Quincey at some point. I just don't see them bringing him back when the contract is up.

The only problem with quincey though is I doubt we could get jackin **** for him. Maybe key word maybe we could trade deadline deal him for a conditional 7th. Its a contract year and he blows donkey balls I doubt we could expect much from him.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Play with Datsyuk, score 20-30 goals
Abdelkader scored at a 34 goal pace in the second half last year

Brunner scored at a 22 goal pace last year.
Hudler and Flip both scored close to 25 goals on the first line for 2/3rds of the year without first line PP minutes.

Name the last guy on the Red Wings to play alongside Datsyuk or Zetterberg on line 1 for the majority of the year and faily to score close to 25 goals?

Bertuzzi didn't.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Bertuzzi didn't.

His response.

Bert never played 2/3rds of the season with Datsyuk.
The \year Bert played with Datsyu most was 2012 -- Bert didn't start playing with Datsyuk until late November and then Datsyuk was hurt by February.

And - it needs to be said -- Bert did not get first line PP time.

Franzen scoring 28 goals a year on Datsyuk's wing and first unit PP isn't a big deal. Brett Hull did it from 37 to 39.
Shanny scored 40 with Datsyuk at 36.
Homer scored at the 20 to 30+ goal pace on Datsyuk's wing.
Z was a 40-goal pace kind of guy on Datsyuk's wing.
Hossa scored 40 goals on Datsyuk's wing.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
again i love bryan murrays quote after he sent Zbad done to the AHL

“if we’re going to be good on our word: that is work hard and you will get a chance.â€

got to admire aman who sticks by his words no matter what

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
again i love bryan murrays quote after he sent Zbad done to the AHL

“if we’re going to be good on our word: that is work hard and you will get a chance.â€

got to admire aman who sticks by his words no matter what

Holland and Babcock do and say this, they just don't say when they'll get a chance. :help:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm all for having Tatar accountable but it has to be for every player. Franzen looks like hes at sunday afternoon shinny. Sammy, Bert and Cleary (our leadership/vet/grit/supposed to overpower other3rd lines) havent looked anything special.
Aside from Cleary (who, we have to admit, works pretty hard... he's just not good), I'm not convinced Babcock wants anything to do with those players. I'm particularly convinced that Babcock wants to shoot Franzen out of the airlock, so to speak.

But he knows his job is to win and in most of those cases, the alternatives are worse. I think Babcock might agree with posters here a lot more than they assume. He just has a different way of acting on that information: namely that he has a job to do, and he'd like to keep it.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Aside from Cleary (who, we have to admit, works pretty hard... he's just not good), I'm not convinced Babcock wants anything to do with those players. I'm particularly convinced that Babcock wants to shoot Franzen out of the airlock, so to speak.

But he knows his job is to win and in most of those cases, the alternatives are worse. I think Babcock might agree with posters here a lot more than they assume. He just has a different way of acting on that information: namely that he has a job to do, and he'd like to keep it.

He may need stats to SHOW that Bert, Sammy or Cleary are garbage.
Cleary has the stats from last year.
Bert and Sammy do not.
Their production is debatable, because no one really knows how they would do with prime playing time. (WE like to guess, but seems Babcock is going to find out before he tosses them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad