GDT: Game #3: Coyotes @ Islanders - 4:30pm (AZ) - Scripps, MSGSN

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
The good:

Dermott was pretty solid defensively with several huge saves.

Moser was mostly invisible, neither good nor bad.

Valimaki got better as the game went on (coping)

Brown was...okay?

Cooley is Cooley. Cooley Macelli and Zucker/Guenther/Someone who shoots the puck should be a line for sure.

Schmaltz and Keller learned how to shoot the puck this game.

Vejmelka is still a god.

The bad:

Literally everything else

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
If u get Dumba, Kerfoot and Zucker as free agents and your core players/Rookies are way better…. No words needed.

We really need some real quality for big money to push these young guys.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Our top line is legit. They're just not up to speed yet. Big money free agents is not what this rebuild needs.

I would just shuffle the lines a bit and see if something clicks.

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli McBain Crouse
Carcone Cooley Zucker
Kerfoot Bjugstad Boyd

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Our top line is legit. They're just not up to speed yet. Big money free agents is not what this rebuild needs.

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli McBain Crouse
Carcone Cooley Zucker
Kerfoot Bjugstad Boyd
I’d like to see more of what he had rolling in the 3rd. Top line was the same and then he had

Zucker-Cooley-Maccelli
Carcone-Bjugstad-Crouse
O’Brien-McBain-Kerfoot.

I’d like to see more of that, or just go with the original lines but switch Bjugs and Cooley and try that. I’ll repeat it until I’m blue in the face but Cooley and Maccelli will make magic. Just work with the pair method and go from there. Keller/Schmaltz, Cooley/Maccelli, Bjugstad/Crouse…the rest you can mix and match as needed.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli McBain Crouse
Carcone Cooley Zucker
Kerfoot Bjugstad Boyd
You can rotate the lines a thousand times, but you dont get NHL Scorings out of it. Yes, guys like Cooley, Gunther and maybe Maccelli will improve and get more points in the future. But this team has just one real goal scorer and after this 3-4 guys with 10-20 goals… not enough.

But our biggest problem is the qualitay in front of the net and the awful zone entry especially in the powerplay (like the last 1:30 showed brutal again).

You cant handle these problems just with picks and some coaching.
If you want to make the next step (and if these franchise ever wants to be a legit playoff contender), you have to grab some real quality on the free agent market.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
You can rotate the lines a thousand times, but you dont get NHL Scorings out of it. Yes, guys like Cooley, Gunther and maybe Maccelli will improve and get more points in the future. But this team has just one real goal scorer and after this 3-4 guys with 10-20 goals… not enough.

But our biggest problem is the qualitay in front of the net and the awful zone entry especially in the powerplay (like the last 1:30 showed brutal again).

You cant handle these problems just with picks and some coaching.
If you want to make the next step (and if these franchise ever wants to be a legit playoff contender), you have to grab some real quality on the free agent market.
Agreed on net front presence, but we do have guys that can move the puck effectively - Schmaltz, Durzi, Cooley, Maccelli, Keller, hell even Kerfoot and Dumba. I'd like to see us use our width in attack a little more combined with our speed. Go more wall to D to wall or just opposite corner dump ins. Then get it back to the trailing attackers, crash the net and for the love of God, get some more shots.

Simple fundamental attacking hockey.

Reactions: AJ171181

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Agreed on net front presence, but we do have guys that can move the puck effectively - Schmaltz, Durzi, Cooley, Maccelli, Keller, hell even Kerfoot and Dumba. I'd like to see us use our width in attack a little more combined with our speed. Go more wall to D to wall or just opposite corner dump ins. Then get it back to the trailing attackers, crash the net and for the love of God, get some more shots.

Simple fundamental attacking hockey.
I absoloutely agree with u with our play style. Thats what we need for sure.

But you also need the right players in this league, there are no bad teams waiting for us to rebuild 20 years.
If u want to win games, use your picks and use some money.

There are so many talanted young players in this organisation, i think they can reach the next level with some qualitaty players in the lineup.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
If u get Dumba, Kerfoot and Zucker as free agents and your core players/Rookies are way better…. No words needed.

Dumba and Zucker are "real quality," despite two game's evidence to the contrary.

Everyone relax.

Cooley is on a 82 point pace. Things are fine.

Edit: watching the replay. What an embarrassing crowd. Relocate NYI.

Reactions: lanky

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Dumba and Zucker are "real quality," despite two game's evidence to the contrary.

Everyone relax.

Cooley is on a 82 point pace. Things are fine.

Edit: watching the replay. What an embarrassing crowd. Relocate NYI.
Dumba and Zucker are here to wait for March, so they can be traded cheaply to a playoff team.

This 1 year contracts are s…. as hell

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
not sure if anyone else mentioned: youtube tv in phoenix had the game on the CW61, which is included as a local station in youtube tv here in phx, maybe even all AZ, dont know

Reactions: Summer Rose

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Pretty bad game. Boring and the Yotes didn’t show up until the 3rd. That PP neutral zone drop is so bad when these guys try it. They really should stop.

At least the DVR worked for this one. Haha. Though I kinda wish it hadn’t.

B2B after playing two of the best teams in the league. We have a -1 goal differential after playing the best three New York teams (Jersey is a suburb of NY, not up for debate).

NYI is the type of team we will struggle with until the Mavericks and Simashevs hit the blueline. We are not bottom heavy outside of Brown. So getting the on the back end of the B2B was going to lead to this type of performance.

Reactions: BAdvocate and rt

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
We'll have 20 or so road games all season vs playoff teams, we've already got 3 of those out of the way, and we got a win and 2 1 goal losses. We're fine early. Just get something from this STL game and beat up the Ducks on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00