GDT: Game #3: Coyotes @ Islanders - 4:30pm (AZ) - Scripps, MSGSN

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Vejmelka looked decent, though was a little shaky to start.

They took fewer penalties this game. Not sure if that reflects better discipline or who was reffing.

Too many extra passes or forcing the extra pass instead of putting shots on net. Could be that they were just a little less sharp tonight, having played last night. If they had converted a few of those, they certainly could have won the game. I can't really fault them for trying it, but it's a bit frustrating that they didn't adjust to just put pucks on the net when it kept failing. I think some of this is due to the back to back games.

Related, the powerplay is too sedentary. It might just be personnel not being familiar with each other. Also, it's probably difficult to implement or try something new out when you're on an East Coast road trip with 3 in 5 nights. Hopefully they can clean that up because they're in games to the point that a better powerplay could have had them at 3-0.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Not enough shots, too fancy plays, too much passes?
Are we talking about the german national football team?

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Anyone else notice Moser's poor usage?

- Averaged 14 minutes of TOI for the first two games.
- Lost his powerplay role with the addition of Durzi.
- Only one defenseman, Valimaki, has averaged less penalty kill time than him.
- Was not used during the full overtime period in the New Jersey game.

Only defenseman that played less in a game was Josh Brown with 13 minutes. However, Brown is relied on heavily for the penalty kill.
His play dictated those numbers. Valimaki has played like a waiver pick up he was. To be honest. all the D have stunk. No chemistry, getting caught out of position etc. etc. Our best maybe has been Dermott.

Perhaps one of you insiders can tell Morgan to speak up during his interviews. He always sounds like he is afraid to ask a question and thus you cannot hear his questions half the time.
I have been saying that for years. He and Walsh always ask dumb questions, so maybe it's better we don't hear them.:laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hypothetically there should be no reason why Dumba, Moser, and Valimaki can't, they've all been more successful than Ghost. But it's f***ing Stecher and Durzi who have been our best transitional and offensive defenseman...hopefully that changes.
I think Ghost has been more successful than any of our D, except maybe Dumba.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel like both teams have been saying, "we got em right where we want em" since the midway point of the first lol.
This would be a blow out if not for Veggie.

That was an uninspired effort and perhaps worst game I've seen from Yotes in a year. No urgency at any point. When teams fall behind especially in the 3rd period, there is desperation. Saw none of that. What is worse is it was a 1 goal game to start the 3rd and the Islanders were playing not to lose.

We have a team of character guys but they didn't show much character tonight. BA has to be disappointed with the effort. This is a game we could win in the 3rd and we didn't even try. :(

That said, it is just 3 games in season so I hope we right the ship quickly, but boy do they need some PP practice.
These games happen early in the year. Look at the Oilers getting spanked.:laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We suck. Might need to reassess my season points prediction.

Call up Guenther and give the lines a shuffle.

KHS
Noodles-Cools-Crouse
Zucker-McBain-Guenther
O'Brien/Carcone-Bjugie-Kerfoot
We have one bad game and you guys sound like "fans". Chill. If it continues Bear will make adjustments. There will be more of these type games this year, and if we learn from our mistakes they will be less "shitty".:)

Reactions: Edenjung

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If u get Dumba, Kerfoot and Zucker as free agents and your core players/Rookies are way better…. No words needed.

We really need some real quality for big money to push these young guys.
It's early, but all three have been disappointments.

Reactions: AJ171181

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They always say this when they don't score, keep it simple, pucks to the net, etc...I think scoring can improve, I am most happy with our D not giving up a ton of goals so far this year.
The reason our D is not giving up goals is because of Veggie and Ingram. They are masking the problem. Not sure why you are happy with our. Hopefully our D can gel and start to play like a unit.

I absoloutely agree with u with our play style. Thats what we need for sure.

But you also need the right players in this league, there are no bad teams waiting for us to rebuild 20 years.
If u want to win games, use your picks and use some money.

There are so many talanted young players in this organisation, i think they can reach the next level with some qualitaty players in the lineup.
Rebuilding takes time and patience. It's when you lose patience, like you right now, that can lead to worse results down the road. It's three games in for god sake.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It's early, but all three have been disappointments.
I didnt see the NYI game but thought Kerfoot played well in the first 2 games. Coach just has to not over play him. He is a 3rd liner.

Zucker was invisible both games (he probably wishes he was after that poor penalty shot).

Dumba is what he has been for a few years now. Erratic defensively with v good offensive instincts.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Rebuilding takes time and patience. It's when you lose patience, like you right now, that can lead to worse results down the road. It's three games in for god sake.

I think we all had patience, a lot of it. Maybe the most in sports history.

Hope you are right and the team gets the results in the next weeks. But i think we are on the wrong way, offensivly.

But yeah, time will tell.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
This thread is reminiscent of opponent game day threads from the Dave Tippett era......everyone saying how poorly their team is playing....without giving any credit to the opponent......unless you consider " boring hockey" to be a complement.

Islanders are one of the hardest working teams..... that's a big part of the reason the Coyotes didn't play well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This thread is reminiscent of opponent game day threads from the Dave Tippett era......everyone saying how poorly their team is playing....without giving any credit to the opponent......unless you consider " boring hockey" to be a complement.

Islanders are one of the hardest working teams..... that's a big part of the reason the Coyotes didn't play well.

But there's something to Tourigny's assertion that the team is playing "too cute." The one game I was able to actually watch thanks to ESPN+'s brainfade, I definitely noticed that the forward group was trying too much fancy dipsy-doodle stuff, especially on the cycle, and the NHL is not a league that rewards that kind of play very often.

I love that we have a bunch of very creative forwards now, but they have to drop some of their lower-level flash habits now that they're in a league where brute force and shot volume brings more reliable dividends than highlight-reel figure skating and "creative" passing.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
But there's something to Tourigny's assertion that the team is playing "too cute." The one game I was able to actually watch thanks to ESPN+'s brainfade, I definitely noticed that the forward group was trying too much fancy dipsy-doodle stuff, especially on the cycle, and the NHL is not a league that rewards that kind of play very often.

I love that we have a bunch of very creative forwards now, but they have to drop some of their lower-level flash habits now that they're in a league where brute force and shot volume brings more reliable dividends than highlight-reel figure skating and "creative" passing.
They are taking puck possession a bit too far.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

Absolutely....all you Tocchet haters stop reading now....."it's all part of the process".

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3