GDT: Game 3: Columbus vs. Dallas | 10/14 7PM EDT

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The third line of Calvert-Letestu-Skille was also invisible. That line needs the energy that Dano can give it. Dano and Calvert playing together is a lot like Cam and Calvert playing together. Lots of energy. I know Skille has a good shot, but he was not supplying the type of tenacious play that usually comes form our number three line. I don't understand how Dano gets demoted when he scored a goal in the previous game. Indeed, if Dano got that softie that Wennberg shot into the goalie's chest, I bet it would have been in the back of the net.

The only person who could have buried that puck on our roster is Johansen. ]

And if you watch the replay Wennberg was a half second away from scoring. lehtonen barely squeezed his glove against his body to keep that puck from squeeking through him. I play goalie and i know that look, Lehtonen wasnt even sure he had the puck. It is very difficult to get an accurate, hard shot off with the puck on its side like that, especially with a player breathing down your neck and a such a sharp angle so close to the net.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yeah I noticed it, so did everyone sitting around me. Hartnel has done very little to impress me these 3 games. He had one nice pass last night, besides that he looks slow and old. Yeah he plays with an edge, but that's not enough.

Check out the primary assists on both of Anisimov's goals this season. Yes, Hartnell blew last night but so did Arty and, despite his shot total, I thought Wennberg was poor also.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Had a question on Atkinson's breakaway with the weak shot on goal. He later admitted his stick was broken so all he could do was "shove the puck towards the goal." I thought the rule was if your stick is broken, you have to drop it immediately.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I thought Dallas' combo of size with speed was a large part of the problem. Atkinson, Letestu, Calvert, and Dano were bouncing off guys last night. The longer reach of the Dallas players was partially preventing wins in the board battles.

That being said, it doesn't excuse the complete and utter craptastic passing we all got to witness last night. I don't know if the ice was that horrible (passes were behind guys) or what. Since it rained all afternoon, the humidity might have been too high in the building.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Had a question on Atkinson's breakaway with the weak shot on goal. He later admitted his stick was broken so all he could do was "shove the puck towards the goal." I thought the rule was if your stick is broken, you have to drop it immediately.

It is, but sometimes you dont even notice until you go and put pressure on it and you cant do anything with it. And lets be honest if your on a clear cut breakaway with no one within 20 feet of you would really drop your stick if you still had a chance to score? :laugh:

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
It is, but sometimes you dont even notice until you go and put pressure on it and you cant do anything with it. And lets be honest if your on a clear cut breakaway with no one within 20 feet of you would really drop your stick if you still had a chance to score? :laugh:

The correct answer is: Drop your stick, pick up the puck, drop it down your pants, and dive toward the goal.

What do I win?

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Jackets just didnt have it in that game. The Stars came into town a desperate team and the Jackets came off of a big win vs the defending Eastern conference champs. It was, as they say, "the perfect storm".

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Uhhh...ok. Worst crowd was probably 11-12k.

How many games did you attend last year? How many during the week early in the season?

not even close...maybe by NHL attendance, but there were nights last year that were still heavily papered and ones that were not well attended...two years ago was far worse though...

Right on.

Announced attendance figures in pro sports are often times quite inaccurate. In fact, they're sheer fabrications in many cases.

Teams will use the "tickets distributed" explanation. That can include freebies and tickets which were available for use but weren't even printed.

I'm not attacking the CBJ. The Cincinnati Reds figures are laughable on certain nights.

There are very few teams which don't sell out whose announced attendance figures are reliable. Most inflate their numbers. No big deal. It's common practice. Not sure why or who it benefits-except, perhaps, to mislead sponsors or encourage advance purchases by the public.

Tickets paid or actual fannies in the seats are the only legit ways to measure attendance, imo. But nobody seems to care:laugh:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Oh, and like Florida ACTUALLY had 7,000+ for that game vs. Ottawa! Puh-leeze. They may have had 7,000+ tickets distributed, counting charities, sponsors, player's families, etc.

By contrast, CBJ had a good crowd last night. 16k was pretty much a spot-on number.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
How many games did you attend last year? How many during the week early in the season?

Went to a variety last year - there were always more seats filled than unfilled. Sometimes in the lower bowl it was about 50/50, but the upper deck made up for it in those instances.

But please, fill free to post a screen shot or anything of these 7.5K weekday crowds from last year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If stubhub.com is a decent measure for ticket demand, then the Jackets are trending significantly upwards.

Last season I purchased tickets for 4 games prior to Jan. 1 on stubhub. I paid, $5.45, $5.50, $5.50, and $7.60 per ticket on those dates. The other two games I went to pre Jan 1, I bought $10 seats at the door.

Last night I paid $15.90 for a ticket on stubhub. I've noticed that the number of tickets available is less and the starting point is higher for games yet to be played.

Columbus will support the CBJ if given a decent product. I hope that I won't have the option of nearly free tickets in the future.

If the Jackets continue their trend upwards, I would imagine that the days of being able to purchase a $10 seat from the box office at game time will become a memory.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Went to a variety last year - there were always more seats filled than unfilled. Sometimes in the lower bowl it was about 50/50, but the upper deck made up for it in those instances.

But please, fill free to post a screen shot or anything of these 7.5K weekday crowds from last year.

There were games early on last year which were far less than 50/50 in the lower bowl and the upper bowl may have been 25% full.

If you believe announced attendance figures, then so be it. I'm not going to argue with you about it. I'm certainly not going to waste my time looking for a screen shot of a NWA game from last season.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

As someone who was there for several of them, I can vouch for the fact there were 7,500 or so in attendance at a handful of Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday games. Bad weather played a part in most of them. Now, the actual number of tickets sold or distributed is a whole nuther story - which, I suspect, accounts for the higher attendance reported.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
As someone who was there for several of them, I can vouch for the fact there were 7,500 or so in attendance at a handful of Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday games. Bad weather played a part in most of them. Now, the actual number of tickets sold or distributed is a whole nuther story - which, I suspect, accounts for the higher attendance reported.

Spot on.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
The third line of Calvert-Letestu-Skille was also invisible. That line needs the energy that Dano can give it. Dano and Calvert playing together is a lot like Cam and Calvert playing together. Lots of energy. I know Skille has a good shot, but he was not supplying the type of tenacious play that usually comes form our number three line. I don't understand how Dano gets demoted when he scored a goal in the previous game. Indeed, if Dano got that softie that Wennberg shot into the goalie's chest, I bet it would have been in the back of the net.

I think the bolded is dragging down Skille. I thought he played pretty well and on that line was the only one really generating their own chances.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We need Murray back.

Johnson-Murray
Savard-Wiz
Erixon-Tyutin

I think Murray stabilizes JJ, Savard stabilizes Wiz, and. Erixon and Tyutin is just a solid pairing. I know those pairings aren't gonna happen as Murray will pair with Wiz when he's back in the lineup.

Also cannot wait to get Dubi and Jenner back in the line-up.

You're going to have to learn which guys play which side before you start toying with d-pairings. Savard and Wiz are both righty's for example. They won't be playing together. Right now you have:

LL
RR
LL

Richards is moving towards:

LR
LR
LR.

I think you can make exceptions to that, but you have to at least know the sides to begin with.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think the bolded is dragging down Skille. I thought he played pretty well and on that line was the only one really generating their own chances.

I don't know what line Skille belongs on, but you can tell he's a lot closer to scoring than most of the guys out there. The crowd definitely buzzes everytime Skille picks up the puck.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Would anyone else like to see JJ and Wiz paired up again on the powerplay? Erixon has not looked good on the PP with Wiz. He's looked decent at even strength with him, but Erixon has been complete garbage on the PP. The man advantage seems to just click whenever Wiz and JJ are both out there. They make great decisions with the puck, and are capable of keeping the puck alive in the offensive zone, which is something the Jackets seem to have struggled with on the powerplay so far. Up to this point the Jackets have struggled to keep possession while on the powerplay, and it seems like the puck gets shot down the ice every 5 seconds, which has been extremely annoying and aggravating to watch.

Thoughts?

I don't think Erixon has been 'garbage' on the PP. His passing is usually pretty good, but lacks the heavy shot, which is a big deal. I'm not sure if he is going to be a good PP player in the NHL or not.

Jack meanwhile can't hit the side of a barn sometimes.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It seemed to me like we couldn't really establish our forecheck, Dallas managed to disrupt it. I think that's on effort. I also think, while Wennberg and especially Dano have been impressive, heavy forechecking is a lot to ask of them- CBJ play a man's game and the kids have some growing to do. (although Dano's shift when he lost his stick, got it back, and managed to draw a penalty in Dallas's zone was great (and why he seems a better fit at this point than Wennberg)

Last night the Stars defence was way way better than the Jackets defence. They were just getting to pucks way faster and getting the transition going. Daley really jumped out to me, but they seem to have a few defenders who have better mobility than anyone we have.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Last night the Stars defence was way way better than the Jackets defence. They were just getting to pucks way faster and getting the transition going. Daley really jumped out to me, but they seem to have a few defenders who have better mobility than anyone we have.

I agree, but I thought the real problem was the defensive play from the forwards. The Stars had freedom to waltz down the slot, unimpeded, and take free wacks at Bob, particularly in the first. He truly kept the game close on his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad