GDT: Game 3: Columbus vs. Dallas | 10/14 7PM EDT

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe we did have an effort problem, I don't know, but what I saw out there were systems breakdowns. Seguin and Benn were buzzing around and our guys didn't really know where to be.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Just a poor game. Dallas wanted this one so much more than we did, and it sucked seeing that, especially in the first period. Bad passing, bad outlets, bad through the neutral zone, bad along the boards, bad o-zone entries, just piss poor. Really decent crowd for a Tuesday, but wouldn't be surprised to see them taper off again with efforts like this.

One thought from me: Why does Richie entrust Prout with so much TOI, to me he sticks out like a sore thumb on defense, really struggled again tonight getting pucks out of the corner and effectively up the ice. We need #27 out there as soon as possible, I think the team misses that guy more than Jenner and/or Dubi, key as they may be to success.

I agree 100% with the bolded. Tyutin definitely makes up for him, I think. But I'd like to see Cody step in for a while. I haven't been a fan of Prout's for a while.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Prouter has his limits, but after tonights game I'm more worried about Jack back there. Despite his 2 assists I thought he was a mess. I'd like us to find a different role for him than shutdown defender.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We need Murray back.

Johnson-Murray
Savard-Wiz
Erixon-Tyutin

I think Murray stabilizes JJ, Savard stabilizes Wiz, and. Erixon and Tyutin is just a solid pairing. I know those pairings aren't gonna happen as Murray will pair with Wiz when he's back in the lineup.

Also cannot wait to get Dubi and Jenner back in the line-up.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Maybe we did have an effort problem, I don't know, but what I saw out there were systems breakdowns. Seguin and Benn were buzzing around and our guys didn't really know where to be.

It seemed to me like we couldn't really establish our forecheck, Dallas managed to disrupt it. I think that's on effort. I also think, while Wennberg and especially Dano have been impressive, heavy forechecking is a lot to ask of them- CBJ play a man's game and the kids have some growing to do. (although Dano's shift when he lost his stick, got it back, and managed to draw a penalty in Dallas's zone was great (and why he seems a better fit at this point than Wennberg)

Prestonn99

Jan 26, 2007
Columbus Oh
www.ohiogaming.net
Anyone else notice Hartnel pinch up into a play flying into our zone, miss his poke check that would have sprung him for a break away, and ultimately the puck ends up in our net? Through 3 games I've seen this twice, maybe this is to be expected?

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Would anyone else like to see JJ and Wiz paired up again on the powerplay? Erixon has not looked good on the PP with Wiz. He's looked decent at even strength with him, but Erixon has been complete garbage on the PP. The man advantage seems to just click whenever Wiz and JJ are both out there. They make great decisions with the puck, and are capable of keeping the puck alive in the offensive zone, which is something the Jackets seem to have struggled with on the powerplay so far. Up to this point the Jackets have struggled to keep possession while on the powerplay, and it seems like the puck gets shot down the ice every 5 seconds, which has been extremely annoying and aggravating to watch.

Thoughts?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Thanks to a traffic snarl up on 1-70, I didn't get to the game until 5 minutes were left in the first. Missed all the bad stuff.

Great early season Tuesday crowd. In actual attendance, I'd guess it was double of many of the early season midweek games of last year.

Thought the Jackets dominated the second and were fairly even with the Stars in the third.

Loved watching Seguin and Johansen on the same ice. Two tremendous young talents. Thought it was ironic that the first three stars (and deservedly so) were Seguin, Johansen and Benn. If I were a GM and had to choose between Seguin or Johansen, it would be a very difficult choice.

Atkinson sure looks like a 30 goal scorer to me with Johansen as his center. It's neat watching two guys who have the ability to score goals from long range on the ice together. Johansen's snap shot from the dot was magnificent. The kid has such a hard shot and quick release. 2g 3a in 3 games. It appears that rumors of his regression have been greatly exaggerated.:naughty:

It would be nice to win the next two before going west. Even with a healthy roster that trip would be a bear.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Big thing that I see is that right now we are pretty much a one line team. Yea, Arty has pitched in a couple of goals, but for the most part the 13-19-71 line is doing all the scoring.

Jenner, and Duby returning will help that, but this team lives on balanced scoring and it aint happening right now.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Big thing that I see is that right now we are pretty much a one line team. Yea, Arty has pitched in a couple of goals, but for the most part the 13-19-71 line is doing all the scoring.

Jenner, and Duby returning will help that, but this team lives on balanced scoring and it aint happening right now.

great point...haven't read thru the whole thread yet, but saw some saying that Erixon and Prout were pretty bad last night...I tend to agree...but I also agree that Dallas was flying everywhere last night...they have a pretty good team, however, I think they have too many older vets that may break down towards the end of the year...Hemsky, Horcoff, Cole, etc, not sure they can make it thru the year in the west the way they play...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Prout should be benched. He is the same as in the first two games. He cannot make a break out pass to save his life. And he is sloooooooow.

I agree that it is like we have one scoring line because of Wennberg. He does nothing to help the offensive potential of the second line. He plays a soft, perimeter game. He does not go inside to mix it up. Face it, he floats. Give me Dano every day of the week. The kid goes to the net and is reading to mix it up with anyone.

I understand that Wennberg is supposed to be so "intelligent" i n his approach to the game. Well, if there was a paper quiz, I would want him participating. But the game is played on ice, not paper. His soft play is hurting our second line.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Last night was the type of game the Jackets missed Dubinsky dearly. He would have pulled his teammates into the fight, instead of limping into the game. He also would have drawn Seguin and I don't think you would have seen the results you got last night. The 41-42-43 line was pretty dreadful. Once the Jackets get back to full health (not counting on Horton though), that lineup will be pretty damn good. I just hope this group as constituted can hang on.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Last night was the type of game the Jackets missed Dubinsky dearly. He would have pulled his teammates into the fight, instead of limping into the game. He also would have drawn Seguin and I don't think you would have seen the results you got last night. The 41-42-43 line was pretty dreadful. Once the Jackets get back to full health (not counting on Horton though), that lineup will be pretty damn good. I just hope this group as constituted can hang on.

i think this current group can stick about .500 until the beginning of Nov when we start getting healthy...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Prout should be benched. He is the same as in the first two games. He cannot make a break out pass to save his life. And he is sloooooooow.

I agree that it is like we have one scoring line because of Wennberg. He does nothing to help the offensive potential of the second line. He plays a soft, perimeter game. He does not go inside to mix it up. Face it, he floats. Give me Dano every day of the week. The kid goes to the net and is reading to mix it up with anyone.

I understand that Wennberg is supposed to be so "intelligent" i n his approach to the game. Well, if there was a paper quiz, I would want him participating. But the game is played on ice, not paper. His soft play is hurting our second line.

Agree on Prout. The 47/51 pairing is...well, it's not good. Give me Goloubef. Things should settle down when Murray comes back. Wouldn't mind Prout and Erixon sitting in for a couple games in favor of Golo and Murray.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Where has Calvert been? Not noticeable (much) on the forecheck and no points. A bit of a disappointing start.

Also...the Hartnell penalty - interference (??) when the dude had the puck? What?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The third line of Calvert-Letestu-Skille was also invisible. That line needs the energy that Dano can give it. Dano and Calvert playing together is a lot like Cam and Calvert playing together. Lots of energy. I know Skille has a good shot, but he was not supplying the type of tenacious play that usually comes form our number three line. I don't understand how Dano gets demoted when he scored a goal in the previous game. Indeed, if Dano got that softie that Wennberg shot into the goalie's chest, I bet it would have been in the back of the net.

IHeartZherdev*

I don't think you even know what a "floater" is - you just heard someone on TV say it about someone and now you apply it to every skill player we have.

The kid is a rookie still adapting to the NHL, and most likely, he wouldn't be at the NHL level right now if Boone and Dubie were healthy. I think he's played better than could be expected considering the circumstances and has really held his own. What do you mean by mixing it up? You think facewashing Antoine Rousell would make him a better hockey player?

Nothing against Dano, he's played well - but it's not a Dano vs Wenny situation. Both have their games. Wenny's skills may take longer to develop at this level while Dano's simpler game makes it easier to fit. That doesn't mean Wenny should be like more Dano.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Agree.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Anyone else notice Hartnel pinch up into a play flying into our zone, miss his poke check that would have sprung him for a break away, and ultimately the puck ends up in our net? Through 3 games I've seen this twice, maybe this is to be expected?

Yeah I noticed it, so did everyone sitting around me. Hartnel has done very little to impress me these 3 games. He had one nice pass last night, besides that he looks slow and old. Yeah he plays with an edge, but that's not enough.

IHeartZherdev*

Yeah I noticed it, so did everyone sitting around me. Hartnel has done very little to impress me these 3 games. He had one nice pass last night, besides that he looks slow and old. Yeah he plays with an edge, but that's not enough.

There is a reason a team was willing to take back RJ Umberger just to get rid of him...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The third line of Calvert-Letestu-Skille was also invisible. That line needs the energy that Dano can give it.

Uhh... Both had great scoring chances last night and were skating hard the entire night. If anyone was "invisible" it wa a guy like Letestu.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Can't recall the play in question; but I do know that Harnell is getting plenty of scoring chances. He's playing exactly how I thought he would and I wouldn't call him looking old and slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad