Post-Game Talk: Game #3 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7:30 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
There are no words or gifs or emojis to express how mad I am right now.

People wonder why hockey fans think the league is rigged for certain teams. You know why they think that, because it is!

Pens are a ratings winner, they must move on, and since Wilson was clearly making a difference in this series they saw their chance to remove him and took it. I wonder if the Caps had won the first two games if Wilson gets suspended for the Dumoulin legal hit?

**** THIS LEAGUE, **** THE ***** ASS PENGUINS, FROM THEIR WHINNY ASS ***** OWNER TO THEIR ENTITLED WHINNY ASS CAPTAIN.

p.s. when is Aston-Reese's "surgery" scheduled for, just curious?
Been busy w/other matters and found out ~30 mins ago. Yes, that's me except I'm almost beyond very po'd bc I'm not surprised at all.

This is my fav sport and has been for decades. I used to follow almost everything, but as I got older developed other interests. Hockey/NHL is the only team sport I follow. Sports is just part of the entertainment business. As long as I'm entertained I'll watch in one form or the other. All sports are semi "fixed". It's not that the athletes are fixing games. However there's an unwritten conduct that you must follow as a ref or you're not going to be very successful. The reason refereeing and "discipline" is so inconsistent (besides not being easy in a fast moving sport) is:
1) there's a desire to prolong series that get, or the suits think will get, eyeballs;
2a) some teams have more "juice" than others, more pull with the powers that be;
2b) like (2a) some players and owners are more "in the club" than others, i.e. have the "right" nationality, etc.

I'd say the big 4 sports in NA are about 20% like Pro Wrestling. It's the idea not that 20% is some solid estimate backed by a rigorous methodology.
Let's go back to (1) & (2). This series should get good ratings. The Caps are owned by a person (US) who made their fortune in tech. The face of the team, their captain is a Russian. Now compare that to Pitt. In terms of the NHL establishment... there's no comparison. Forget Malkin. Sure he's a big reason they've been successful, but a hired hand. But the owner and the face of the team are from the country that still makes up much of the NHL insiders.

A one game suspension might have been semi fair, and that only due to the result. Which is an asinine reason, but it's practiced. Three games is a joke and will clearly help Pitt come back and probably win this series. I like to believe and think Pitt could lose, but we haven't seen the reffing in games 4, 5,... ! Many fans are bloomin' hypocrites. Messier, Howe, and many other legends were just as dirty as Wilson. Tom is guilty of being a fast, big guy... that plays for the "wrong" team. Crosby's antics are well documented, yet he's never been close to a 1 game suspension :skeptic:

I gave up my ST as they jacked them up to squeeze as much as they could from the faithful during the latter part of the Ovi era. Attended much less games at the arena this season than I have in over a decade. Even if the Caps win the SC I'll most likely attend ~12 games tops next season. I they lose this series, might be closer to 6 - for old times sake. There's much to do in life and I'm somewhere on the back 9 :popcorn:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I've watched the NHL video.
Its explanation is fantasy made to justify the suspension. The narrator says Aston-Reese is "relatively upright" before the hit. His legs are clearly bent at a 35-45 degree angle (visible, e.g., @1:30 of the video). Not in a full squat, but making himself several inches shorter than if he were upright. In fact, his knees are still bent through Wilson's hit.
The hittee's stature contributed to the damage done, but DOPeS couldn't acknowledge that fact because it would have been a factor in determining the avoidability of the ultimate hit to the head.
Clearly the fix was in. "Get Wilson out of this series or I'm moving the club to Kansas City."

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I've watched the NHL video.
Its explanation is fantasy made to justify the suspension. The narrator says Aston-Reese is "relatively upright" before the hit. His legs are clearly bent at a 35-45 degree angle (visible, e.g., @1:30 of the video). Not in a full squat, but making himself several inches shorter than if he were upright. In fact, his knees are still bent through Wilson's hit.
The hittee's stature contributed to the damage done, but DOPeS couldn't acknowledge that fact because it would have been a factor in determining the avoidability of the ultimate hit to the head.
Clearly the fix was in. "Get Wilson out of this series or I'm moving the club to Kansas City."

Yep. That struck me too. They said ZAR was “relatively upright.” What a crock of crud.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The tweets are wrong. They should read:

Suspended 3 games for LEGAL hit.

Dept of Pennis Shots strilkes again, this time neutering Wilson. If there is no hitting in the NHL 100% I am a goner and this may push me away for good next year. Skating goals and saves can only keep my attention so long.

Its a real kick in the nuts because he is finally breaking out, ES scoring and generating turnovers, far exceeding expectations and kicking ass in every way.

Marcel nails it about Dick Patrick. We finally get a home grown power forward and the league clamps down on him, all because some dude on Pitt has a glass jaw.

Willy the Dragon Slayer will have to do it in game 7.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
f*** game 7. Unless Murray gets a glove transplant the Caps can take this in 6 or maybe even 5. They just have to keep playing their game and 8, 77, 44, and 25 need to hit the Pens every chance they get.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
**** game 7. Unless Murray gets a glove transplant the Caps can take this in 6 OT maybe even 5. They just have to keep playing their game and 8, 77, 44, and 25 need to hit the Pens every chance they get.

Definitely can do it. Especially if the reffing is on the level (shockingly so) as it has been for the first three games.

Caps are going to have to take their game to the next level, though. The same effort minus Wilson likely = loss.

Reactions: Bladerunner

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Caps need to hit MORE now. The Penguins are clearly afraid of it, and it disrupts their obstruction game. We sink backwards we play into their hands.

Trotz has nothing to lose this year. He may just cut everyone loose.

POTD candidate. Willy skating through Pens certainly devastates their obstruction game ambitions. They are in survival mode. We have to keep the pressure on them physically and to take pressure off Willy. Just like they made obstruction a normal part of the game by doing it all over the ice, Barry needs to do the same with hitting in Willy's absence.

Its high time to start responding to their interference as it happens. Flailing the arms fighting through the repeated obstructions, and catch another one on the chin and they'll think about it twice next time.

Lets be reality we can say we want DSP or Chiasson to pick up the slack but they cannot do what he does. We may be f***ed.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Pens will try to take more liberties with Willy out and in light of our abysmal 4 on 4 play. Got to resist taking the bait. And coaches got to be smarter about 4x4 matchups. We're giving them a Gretzky era Oilers advantage

Reactions: RandyHolt

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Pens will try to take more liberties with Willy out and in light of our abysmal 4 on 4 play. Got to resist taking the bait. And coaches got to be smarter about 4x4 matchups. We're giving them a Gretzky era Oilers advantage

Yep. They are purposely making the game 4 on 4 as a strategy. Caps have to keep their cool and not take the bait. The Pens are the masters at sneaky dirty.

Reactions: calicapsfan

smd333

May 2, 2012
Caps need to hit MORE now. The Penguins are clearly afraid of it, and it disrupts their obstruction game. We sink backwards we play into their hands.

Trotz has nothing to lose this year. He may just cut everyone loose.
I could not agree more.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
POTD candidate. Willy skating through Pens certainly devastates their obstruction game ambitions. They are in survival mode. We have to keep the pressure on them physically and to take pressure off Willy. Just like they made obstruction a normal part of the game by doing it all over the ice, Barry needs to do the same with hitting in Willy's absence.

Its high time to start responding to their interference as it happens. Flailing the arms fighting through the repeated obstructions, and catch another one on the chin and they'll think about it twice next time.

Lets be reality we can say we want DSP or Chiasson to pick up the slack but they cannot do what he does. We may be ****ed.
RH, I agree with g00n and you.

But, and this is a big BUT, all this depends on the refs calling a +&%#!@$^* fair game. If they do, Caps have a chance.
Else - different year, same result :eek:

The DOPES figured let's give Wilson 3. Good chance Pitt can take 2 of 3 and we'll have a game 7 (lots of playoff $). And if Pitt wins all 3, well that good too :rolleyes:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
G4 tomorrow is likely the key. The Caps need to respond to Willie out. I like Little Stevie on L1 and Gersich moved in to the bottom 6. Caps win tomorrow, come into Verizon with momentum. Lose tomorrow, lose momentum and come home where they're 2-3 in post season. Devo steps up. Trotz plays around a bit (i.e., adjusts) by icing Devo on a few shifts with 8 & 92. Pens had announced Sestito call-up before G3, but he didn't dress. Trotz needs to have players ready for Penguin goonery. Don't retaliate. Hope the refs call the first transgression.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
G4 tomorrow is likely the key. The Caps need to respond to Willie out. I like Little Stevie on L1 and Gersich moved in to the bottom 6. Caps win tomorrow, come into Verizon with momentum. Lose tomorrow, lose momentum and come home where they're 2-3 in post season. Devo steps up. Trotz plays around a bit (i.e., adjusts) by icing Devo on a few shifts with 8 & 92. Pens had announced Sestito call-up before G3, but he didn't dress. Trotz needs to have players ready for Penguin goonery. Don't retaliate. Hope the refs call the first transgression.
I’m not so sure. Obviously want to win tomorrow, but if they lose the series is tied. Not a disaster in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad