Post-Game Talk: Game #3 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7:30 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nah. If he gets suspended it will be for the rest of the Pens series

For a play that wasn't even penalized. That would be ridiculous.

Even one game is too much. But they'll probably give him at least that to appease people.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
It's a high hit and there was head contact, there's no denying that. I'm ok with whatever the DoPS decides.

Hits high because he is taller. Initial point of contact is his shoulder and because he is taller, bigger, and stronger, the force of his shoulder continues to his face. Then the Pens recipient throws his mitten at the Caps bench in a tizzy.

Welcome to hockey!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I won't be surprised if he gets 4 games, ensuring that he'll be out at least the rest of the series.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I can see 1 or 2 games. 3+ would be the equivalent of 6+ regular season games which seems unlikely given the camera angles show at least some initial shoulder contact and seemingly no other rules being broken (charging, interference, boarding). My guess is 2 games given he is officially a repeat offender and that ZAR is severely injured.

If I'm Wilson/MacLellan I'm pointing to the Kucherov hit on Vatanen and asking the DOPS what the difference is. Both hits make significant contact with the head but are initiated with shoulder on shoulder, along with lower body contact with the hips.

My opinion has always been to outlaw all hits to the head so that there is no ambiguity and hits like these are illegal but under the current rules I still think Wilson has a strong case to not be suspended at all. The DOPS seemingly already made up their mind that it's illegal but perhaps citing a video that DOPS just released a few days ago showing a similar hit going unpenalized may reduce the suspension length.

Last edited:

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Watch, Wilson will get suspended for the rest of the series and the Pens will come back and win it.

Because, we are Caps fans after all and would be a typical story

Reactions: RandyHolt

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
if u ban him now, u have to find a wired explanation why other collisions that include head contact are not banned... if its injuries, people will start faking, it will be the end.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Even one game is too much. But they'll probably give him at least that to appease people.

Can we cite in the rule book where it says that any play by Willy that results in a whistle is subject to review, including calling penalties after the fact? I assume there was a rule change that I missed that body checks are now review-able, but am I crazy in thinking it's only been Willy under the review microscope?

You'd think the refs and linesmen 4 experts in penalties reviewing a body check would be enough to call off the DOPS DOGS, but nope.

This was all about the case of a taller opponent at speed. If he doesn't get suspended, rest assured he will be on double secret probation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Yes, 1 game is too much. He is a repeat offender and broke a guy's jaw. DOPS is in a box. They cant give him an obvious token game. They either suspend him like they mean it or they say the hit was legal

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Can we cite in the rule book where it says that any play by Willy that results in a whistle is subject to review, including calling penalties after the fact? I assume there was a rule change that I missed that body checks are now review-able, but am I crazy in thinking it's only been Willy under the review microscope?

You'd think the refs and linesmen 4 experts in penalties reviewing a body check would be enough to call off the DOPS DOGS, but nope.

This was all about the case of a taller opponent at speed. If he doesn't get suspended, rest assured he will be on double secret probation.

he's already on secret probation, that's the reasoning for this hearing to begin with. the behind the scenes whining to the league is definitely happening.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hits high because he is taller. Initial point of contact is his shoulder and because he is taller, bigger, and stronger, the force of his shoulder continues to his face. Then the Pens recipient throws his mitten at the Caps bench in a tizzy.

Welcome to hockey!

I know hockey very well, and I can tell you that Wilson should've bent his knees more. I know he's taller than 95% of guys but if he's gonna drill them, he might as well bend his knees more and drive through their shoulders.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The DOPS seemingly already made up their mind that it's illegal but perhaps citing a video that DOPS just released a few days ago showing a similar hit going unpenalized may reduce the suspension length.

I don't read it that way. Saying an illegal hit to the head establishes the category of conversation and the boundries. They are not going to spring charging on him, for instance. His defense is based on illegal check to the head. I believe that is required by the CBA

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I know hockey very well, and I can tell you that Wilson should've bent his knees more. I know he's taller than 95% of guys but if he's gonna drill them, he might as well bend his knees more and drive through their shoulders.

I will agree with this. My argument is the point of contact was and is still to his shoulder.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Watch, Wilson will get suspended for the rest of the series and the Pens will come back and win it.

Because, we are Caps fans after all and would be a typical story

All coupled with the irony of the recent Kucherov hit DOPS production, being virtually ignored. Which would confirm that Parros is just a puppet, as I had suggested when he was named. Naming a former goon is laughable. How about former refs instead.

Which would all point the finger directly at Bentman making the decisions. That foot is me. He is Dean Vernon Wormer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Do they have hearings for fines?

If so, I would lap up the tears like home made ice cream if that is the case

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Do they have hearings for fines?

If so, I would lap up the tears like home made ice cream if that is the case

Yes but it's rare.

Pens fans literally cry about everything. They're in the main series thread complaining about Ovie "taunting" after the game winner. He has been jumping into the glass for like 14 years

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I will agree with this. My argument is the point of contact was and is still to his shoulder.

Sure but it might not be the main point of contact. It's hard to tell from the video, because the two angles provided don't show the impact very well. The view is obstructed by Wilson's back on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad