GDT: Game 3: Avalanche vs Flames | 8 PM MT | April 15, 2019 | World of Possibilities

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The fact that Corefoot looks good out there should tell you a lot more about the way that the Flames are playing as compared to the Avs. When you give him space he can make plays. When you don't, he is not very good. Right now he is making a lot of plays, and that's related to the fact the Flames are so scared of Mackinnon,who is destroying them anyways.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Honestly wish he had a bit of Barrie's recklessness, even Tyson was making questionable pinches in the Flames zone when the score was 6-2.

Same here... it takes a certain mentality to provide offense at the level that Barrie does, Makar will have to develop some of that.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
When MacKinnon tells Makar he's a bad mother.......

2yqlqb.gif
If Makar is 5’11.25 then MacKinnon is 5’11.5 - they look to be almost the exact same height. Damnit...didn’t realize Mack was such a smurf

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I must be in the middle regarding Kerfoot this series. I don’t think he’s tearing it up, but I also haven’t thought he looked terrible either.

He is definitely playing a lot better in the playoffs than he was the final stretch of the season.

Reactions: avsfan09

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I don't get the hate for Kerf as well. He has his fault like all players but put him with bigger players to open up space like Mack and Rants and he can be a very effective player. Like I said he has his faults but I never looked at him as being afraid of being hit. He is careful because of his size but he has made a lot of plays this year and especially in the playoffs when he knew he was going to get hit hard and still did it. I'm all with everybody else to replace him with a better fit but:

1. Be careful what you are hoping for because you might end up with a player that can't make plays, and
2. It cannot happen until we get at least two other guys better than him on the team or we will fill a hole to create another one.

That being said his next contract will decide on long he will be with this team as he might priced himself off the team. However I'm not worry too much about overpaying .5M or 1M too much as long as it is not more than three year contract as we will have the cap space to retain $$$ to trade if need be.

Right now and most likely next year as well we need the secondary scoring he brings.

Kerf is also a nice complement for MacKinnon because he's solid defensively and MacKinnon remains...not so much. Obviously you take his dynamism and accept the flaws in his game, I just think you always gotta put a defensively-minded forward with him so that he doesn't spend extended shifts in his own zone.

I still say he comes back next year in a more complementary role and people will quiet down about him since he won't have to carry as big a load as he's had to this season and the one before. But that means Joe has to get that added offense on the roster, not necessarily an easy task. For now, this is the guy who played a major role in getting the Avs to the playoffs when their two best wingers went down with injury and their 2nd best center has all but disappeared. Yet people still just can't seem to accept that he's playing well. NOT perfect...but well.

Fine by me...I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride, however long it lasts.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I don't watch prospects a ton, so I'm not always the best at evaluating how skills will translate to a higher level. You see things that guys do as a prospect, and I'm not always sure how they will stack up at the highest level.

Couple of things I saw with Makar yesterday...

His hand-eye coordination is really high level. You can just see it in the way that gives and takes passes, his stickhandling, ect ect ect... He just never needs that extra look at the puck that most guys do. Really high end skill stuff.

Lots of juice on his passes. I like this. I guess I don't know how true this really is, but I was always taught that the best passers pass the hardest. I think of guys like Bourque or Pronger and some of their passes practically had a rocket strapped to them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
- Still not liking Yetis game, but that was the best thus far.

The fact that the Avs have dominated the last two games with Soderberg making more poor plays than good ones makes it that much more impressive. Hopefully he gets going soon.

The matchups and tougher minutes for Soderberg obviously can't be overlooked but Jost has probably been the second best center behind MacKinnon thus far.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The fact that Corefoot looks good out there should tell you a lot more about the way that the Flames are playing as compared to the Avs. When you give him space he can make plays. When you don't, he is not very good. Right now he is making a lot of plays, and that's related to the fact the Flames are so scared of Mackinnon,who is destroying them anyways.

Yeah I think this sums it up perfectly.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The fact that the Avs have dominated the last two games with Soderberg making more poor plays than good ones makes it that much more impressive. Hopefully he gets going soon.

The matchups and tougher minutes for Soderberg obviously can't be overlooked but Jost has probably been the second best center behind MacKinnon thus far.
Too be honest that might be unfair from me since his line is going head-to-head with Gaudreau's thus far and has shut him down completely (big part is EJ). So Bednar is using him as a shutdown centre and he even took some important defencive zone draws yesterday. However, he's still going through the motions offencively, which as you said is a good sign that Avs look so good yet he's been poor in generating offence.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
Some of them will. Others are still grasping at straws.

After last night's game, the Av's sucess over the Flames just isn't sustainable!

- MacKinnon won't continue to produce at a 3PPG pace for the next 20 years and crush Greztky's records
- Makar won't keep his pace and have an 82 goal seasons

Therefore, the playoffs should be cancelled and the cup handed to the Flames tomorrow. I mean, did you SEE the regular season?!

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
Reading our opponent's chat is funny. They are saying we are not even one line team, but one man Playoff Hockey God team: MacKinnon.

I thought MacK was good, but the whole team performed on a very good level. Kinda funny how they only think about MacKinnon. I guess he must be in their head..

I fixed your typo for you.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I wonder if that CBJ comeback down by 3 and the sharks/knights back and forth period where they both scored 3 in a row had anything to do with how we didn't let up yesterday. It's playoffs so you obviously don't want to just sit back but Bednar had the guys aggressively pinching and flying all night. Not a single shift taken off until maybe 5 minutes left and even then we stayed in high gear. I kept waiting for the turtle and there wasn't a sign of it. Can't take those leads for granted as we've seen a couple times these playoffs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Too be honest that might be unfair from me since his line is going head-to-head with Gaudreau's thus far and has shut him down completely (big part is EJ). So Bednar is using him as a shutdown centre and he even took some important defencive zone draws yesterday. However, he's still going through the motions offencively, which as you said is a good sign that Avs look so good yet he's been poor in generating offence.

He's certainly helping in other areas, which is important, but the play with the puck leaves a lot to be desired. Far too many turnovers.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I wonder if that CBJ comeback down by 3 and the sharks/knights back and forth period where they both scored 3 in a row had anything to do with how we didn't let up yesterday. It's playoffs so you obviously don't want to just sit back but Bednar had the guys aggressively pinching and flying all night. Not a single shift taken off until maybe 5 minutes left and even then we stayed in high gear. I kept waiting for the turtle and there wasn't a sign of it. Can't take those leads for granted as we've seen a couple times these playoffs.

I think it was a combination of us not letting off the gas as much as we normally do and the fact that Calgary was just plain bad last night.

Idk what it was, but they did not look good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad