GDT: [Game 3] April 17: Ducks @ Flames - 8:00pm MT (TV: CBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
All these people saying the Flames should be up 2-1 in the series: why? What about a team that blows a 4-1 lead says anything but pathetic to you, let alone that they should be leading the series?

It's about the way they blew a 4-1 lead. They successfully eliminated dangerous chances and got scored on with three flukey goals. If they allowed the Ducks to shell Elliott in the third and score from sheer domination, that's one thing. But having them plinko three pucks into the net, then a fourth in overtime, doesn't exactly speak to a team that wasn't capable or didn't do its job.

The other side of it is that even if you believe the Flames deserve to be where they are, the Ducks do not deserve to be up 3-0. What kind of a team that can't kill penalties and keeps taking them deserves to have a series lead? What kind of team that hangs out their goalie to the tune of a 4-1 lead deserves to have a series lead? What kind of team that keeps getting routinely outchanced deserves to have a series lead?

Deserves is such a wishy-washy term. I think what people are saying is that without really playing any differently, the Flames could have a 2-1 series lead, and the analysis would be looking a lot different.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Really happy to see some rational posts this morning. Mallard, AS, Kritty all bringing reason back to CFHF.

Don't get me wrong, I was as ticked as anyone to see that game fall apart. And it bothers me that I was able to turn it off after the 2nd and know that the Ducks would end up winning, but to me that's more an indication of the growing this team still needs to do as opposed to the pitfalls. They have a tremendous core of talent and I do think Elliott is the answer in net. Flames management may not agree and may look into someone like Bishop.

It's been a few seasons now since I've been this excited about what the Flames future looks like. They have a great GM and management group, Gulutzan I'm warming up to but still not totally sold on, a new building in the works and, in my eyes, one of the best young cores in the NHL.

If you look at this lineup, with even a little bit of development over the next 5-6 months and some players returning to full form, this team has all the makings of possibly winning the division next year. Full years out of Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Hamilton and Stone combined with hopefully a continuation of the 3M line and the offensive movement of Bennett and I don't see how this team doesn't make a jump. I would guess that Treliving has already identified some potential free agents to add (although i'm not sure what exactly they need) to make this team even better along with some farm ready NHLers (Jankowski, Kylington?, others?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad