Pre-Game Talk: Game 3/82 - 17/10/2023, 6 pm - EDM@NSH - Well, at least we don’t play Vancouver for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I mean, they needed a guy that can score goals, and Brown has a better shot than any of the wingers aside from Kane (assuming he ever fully recovers). They have enough guys trying to pass the puck into the net. They also needed a defensive presence in the top 6. I still think Brown will end up being the best winger this year, which could be a bad thing.

My opinion probably isn't popular, but I thought we needed another top 6 guy that can hold a puck and make plays 5v5. I think we are far too dependent on McDrai to do all the playmaking and zone entries. Come playoffs, if we have McDavid and Drai on dif lines, it makes the opposition game plan easy 5v5, just smother those guys, and hope the refs are in playoff mode and don't care. The wingers they have are incapable of drawing attention away and taking advantage of open space while holding onto the puck, they are just waiting for McDavid or Drai to do everything. That inevitably leads us to being a 1 line team 5v5 because we need at least 1 line with 2 guys capable of carrying a puck.

I hope Brown works out. Funny enough though, our 2 best goal scorers on the team are McDavid and Drai themselves. But, they have to do 1 man shows to score because their wingers are so incapable of playmaking. Nuge included, who plays hot potato with the puck 5v5 and needs all the extra time and space on the PP to make plays.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m no Jackson Stan but I think that was the point of bringing him in.

It’s not going to change in season though.

The constant bitching about Holland in here can be directed towards the analytics nerd Jackson brings in after that GM also isn’t able to craft a team with no holes in a cap world.

If Holland didn’t hire two failures in Archie and Wright he might have that team with no holes in the cap world.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean, they needed a guy that can score goals, and Brown has a better shot than any of the wingers aside from Kane (assuming he ever fully recovers). They have enough guys trying to pass the puck into the net. They also needed a defensive presence in the top 6. I still think Brown will end up being the best winger this year, which could be a bad thing.
My worry with Brown is his last mostly full season he only scored 10 goals and was tied for 7th on the team.
At this point I think he is probably a third liner, kind of hoped we would have swung for a clear improvement and not a maybe on Yamamoto.

Toronto just lost to 4-1 to Chicago at home. I wonder if their HFboard melts down like ours would.
They has 2 wins first.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My worry with Brown is his last mostly full season he only scored 10 goals and was tied for 7th on the team.
At this point I think he is probably a third liner, kind of hoped we would have swung for a clear improvement and not a maybe on Yamamoto.

They has 2 wins first.

lol their board totally would melt down if the Leafs lost 8-1 on opening night and followed it up with another loss right after that.

Reactions: Duke74

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Drai has scored in every game. He's been productive, he's drawn penalty, he's made the plays and been around every one of our goals.

The McD line seemed to have struggled more. The McD line had also been giving up more goals. Brown -4. Kane -5 McD -4. They've been on ice for a lot of GA.

Drai and Nuge have played a good game for the most part. stats reflecting that. Been McD line shaking off rust.
True. I’m not saying he’s been bad. But he’s not at his peak. At his peak he buries a couple of those one timers on the PP on top of the other things he did in those games.

Reactions: Duke74

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm happy to see the Holloway - McLeod - Brown line it's what I wanted all offseason, I think its a nice balance brings a little more finish to the line and a veteran who can help mentor, but also simplify things in the right kind of ways to help the line be more productive and effective.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Toronto just lost to 4-1 to Chicago at home. I wonder if their HFboard melts down like ours would.
Thats why I staying off for a bit. Lots of Doom & Gloom on here now. Im here for the entertainment, not the suicide watch. Also @tardigrade81 gives us good updates on his sex life which I like to keep up on as well since I wont have any starting next week.
Keep up the good work @tardigrade81 . Might as well have another, You will have to change your name to Sureshot then

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Well their PGT is titled "New Year, Same Team, Leafs put forth another lacklustre effort" so yeah, seems their fans are in the same boat as ours. Unfortunately for them, their star players still wont show up in the post season so yeah, unhappy times.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Well their PGT is titled "New Year, Same Team, Leafs put forth another lacklustre effort" so yeah, seems their fans are in the same boat as ours. Unfortunately for them, their star players still wont show up in the post season so yeah, unhappy times.

I don't know, for some reason I have a hard time understanding how you can come out in the season opener and be completely and utterly lacklustre. It's really the 1 game of the year where this is no excuses. I get losing the game. I understand mistakes and rust. But to come out with a give o shit o meter rating of 1/10 in the first game of the year?

I'm more concerned that it's kind of the identity of the team and that we'll see it again come playoff time. They haven't won game 1 of a playoff series since 2017.. That's 0/7.

I feel this team isn't a player away, I don't even think it's a defensive system change away. It's a mentality/psyche away. They give away games and rely way to much on emotion/desperation to bring out the best of them. So when they run into a team on their level (like Vegas).. The first one's free result will cause them to lose the series.

I'm not concerned or ooooooooo we're never going to make the playoffs.. the season is in Jeopardy. I'm just looking for signs of a maure'd hockey team that I think is needed to have playoff success. So far they haven't been the least bit mature. They're still in whiny teenager mode with dumb ass penalties and lacklustre efforts. My concern is they didn't grow the f*** up over the summer.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Thats why I staying off for a bit. Lots of Doom & Gloom on here now. Im here for the entertainment, not the suicide watch. Also @tardigrade81 gives us good updates on his sex life which I like to keep up on as well since I wont have any starting next week.
Keep up the good work @tardigrade81 . Might as well have another, You will have to change your name to Sureshot then
The wife is out of commission this week :( :(

Pray for her starting next Monday LOL!!!!!

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
I don't know, for some reason I have a hard time understanding how you can come out in the season opener and be completely and utterly lacklustre. It's really the 1 game of the year where this is no excuses. I get losing the game. I understand mistakes and rust. But to come out with a give o shit o meter rating of 1/10 in the first game of the year?

I'm more concerned that it's kind of the identity of the team and that we'll see it again come playoff time. They haven't won game 1 of a playoff series since 2017.. That's 0/7.

I feel this team isn't a player away, I don't even think it's a defensive system change away. It's a mentality/psyche away. They give away games and rely way to much on emotion/desperation to bring out the best of them. So when they run into a team on their level (like Vegas).. The first one's free result will cause them to lose the series.

I'm not concerned or ooooooooo we're never going to make the playoffs.. the season is in Jeopardy. I'm just looking for signs of a maure'd hockey team that I think is needed to have playoff success. So far they haven't been the least bit mature. They're still in whiny teenager mode with dumb ass penalties and lacklustre efforts. My concern is they didn't grow the f*** up over the summer.
Assuming even yet another coaching change, what changes that team dynamic? How does a team turn around it's identity in a season (again, it's been multiple coaches so I think it's safe to rule that out).

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I see it the same way. I was looking for a mentality/psyche change in this team for the first 10-15 games. Game 1 didnt inspire confidence. Still baffled that there wasnt a goaltending coach change at a minimum. Still appalling that the team cant play sound defensive hockey (forwards and defense). I dont think we have the best defense, but its as much of a will/commitment/effort problem than a personnel problem.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Assuming even yet another coaching change, what changes that team dynamic? How does a team turn around it's identity in a season (again, it's been multiple coaches so I think it's safe to rule that out).

It's a great question. I think the first step is acknowledgement. Which I'm not sure they have.

It's really impossible for us to know this part of the team and dressing room. I tend not to believe too much of what the coaches and players say. It's just the way it is in the NHL now days. They're all trained and coached to deliver the platitudes. Basically talk is cheap, actions speak volumes.

They said some really nice things this summer. They're actions on the ice so far dictate otherwise. And I'm not talking about the defense and goals against failure to start the season. I'm talking about my main concern that they can't bring their best game until they face some kind of emotional adversity. The immaturity is another thing. First thing we see.. dumb ass penalties.. by their leadership even.

This team talks the talk. But can't walk the walk until a measure of guilt and urgency kicks in. Perhaps it's a confidence issue, perhaps it's over confidence. I can't say. But it's there. It's almost like they have attention deficit problems. First half whatever.. turn it up second half. First game meh.. oh now you've pissed us off!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Man f*** the cretins that made this NHL schedule. Sitting on loses like this is incredibly annoying.

If history is any indication, fewer games to start the year is a good thing for the Oilers. Usually takes until about January for the team to play anything resembling consistently competent hockey.

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad