Pre-Game Talk: Game 29 - Sharks @ Oilers: Fish and Chips anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'd rather muddle the pack a bit.

Calgary > San Jose, St Louis > Arizona and tomorrow Edmonton > San Jose and New York > Vancouver.

The Pacific standings would be:

San Jose 28
Vancouver 28
Arizona 27
Anaheim 27
Edmonton 26
Calgary 24

Yeeehawwww.

Meh - I'm not even thinking about the other teams. We're not a playoff team yet anyway. I just want to see sustained improvement.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
047.gif

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'd rather muddle the pack a bit.

Calgary > San Jose, St Louis > Arizona and tomorrow Edmonton > San Jose and New York > Vancouver.

The Pacific standings would be:

San Jose 28
Vancouver 28
Arizona 27
Anaheim 27
Edmonton 26
Calgary 24

Yeeehawwww.

Yeah, with that it would be almost like we are starting back at 0.

No need to think .750 records being the only way in, you just need to be better than 4 of these teams from here on out, with a lot of head to heads left on the schedule (I think its ~18 without double checking).

Granted, that is a big task to accomplish considering the past 9 years, but feels much more achievable than thinking about .750 for a 50+ game stretch. Basically, it comes down to earning 65-70% of the total points earned in the HTHs (assuming some OTs in there) against these 6 teams (i.e. about 27 points) and you are sitting in a decent spot for a late season push provided you play at least .500 for the other games.

This is actually achievable.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I just consider it realistic expectations. I still think it will be a couple years before playoff hockey comes to Edmonton.

I mean, being a realist means you understand what is likely to happen. It doesn't preclude you from having fun with what is possible.

This is the strangest year I've ever seen in the NHL. A team with 82-84 points may actually make the playoffs in the Pacific. Why not cross your fingers and track meaningful out of town games for as long as the Oilers are close.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah, with that it would be almost like we are starting back at 0.

No need to think .750 records being the only way in, you just need to be better than 4 of these teams from here on out, with a lot of head to heads left on the schedule (I think its ~18 without double checking).

Granted, that is a big task to accomplish considering the past 9 years, but feels much more achievable than thinking about .750 for a 50+ game stretch. Basically, it comes down to winning earning 65-70% of the total points earned in the HTHs (assuming some OTs in there) against these 6 teams (i.e. about 27 points) and you are sitting in a decent spot for a late season push provided you play at least .500 for the other games.

This is actually achievable.

Well, we're all going to get our ***** handed to us by the Central. That's really what's squeezing the Pacific out.

What I like about the Oilers? Their first half schedule is harder than their second half. They've dealt with significant injuries and may be done with them (knock on wood) in another month or so. They've played a lot of one goal games against good teams and have had a level of bad luck that should normalize.

What I don't like about them? They're the Oilers. Incoming 5 game losing streak.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
#treadingwaterforMcJesus

Isn't San Jose the only team we beat all of December last year? Ugh now I don't feel good about this game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I mean, being a realist means you understand what is likely to happen. It doesn't preclude you from having fun with what is possible.

This is the strangest year I've ever seen in the NHL. A team with 82-84 points may actually make the playoffs in the Pacific. Why not cross your fingers and track meaningful out of town games for as long as the Oilers are close.

plus, it's not like making the playoffs is a big accomplishment. You don't have to be a great team to do it. We are a team aiming to be a contender someday with the talent we have here. Even at a fraction of that potential, we could make the playoffs, but then likely get bounced out in the first couple rounds. That's what we are aiming at here. The delusional optimistic opinion is to expect a deep cup run.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
plus, it's not like making the playoffs is a big accomplishment. You don't have to be a great team to do it. We are a team aiming to be a contender someday with the talent we have here. Even at a fraction of that potential, we could make the playoffs, but then likely get bounced out in the first couple rounds. That's what we are aiming at here. The delusional optimistic opinion is to expect a deep cup run.

Yeah, I mean, if we were to somehow make it - we'd be bounced in the first round, maybe in 4 straight, by LA. No doubt about that.

It would just be fresh air for the City and a great boost to the teams PR.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, I mean, if we were to somehow make it - we'd be bounced in the first round, maybe in 4 straight, by LA. No doubt about that.

It would just be fresh air for the City and a great boost to the teams PR.

Eh, if this team makes the playoffs it means Chia acquired some legitimate top 4 d-men down the stretch, and likely improved the bottom 6 as well. It'd also mean one of Talbot or Nilsson (or both) played out of their minds for the majority of the season.

If those things happened a series win wouldn't be out of the realm of probability.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Eh, if this team makes the playoffs it means Chia acquired some legitimate top 4 d-men down the stretch, and likely improved the bottom 6 as well. It'd also mean one of Talbot or Nilsson (or both) played out of their minds for the majority of the season.

Don't think that game of margins applies to this season.

A team that would normally pick near the lottery will play in the playoffs this year. Not because of luck or unsustainable scoring rates like Calgary last year, but because it's going to take a dozen points fewer to earn a spot in the Pacific.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Don't think that game of margins applies to this season.

A team that would normally pick near the lottery will play in the playoffs this year. Not because of luck or unsustainable scoring rates like Calgary last year, but because it's going to take a dozen points fewer to earn a spot in the Pacific.

You'd still be looking at a much improved team. Oilers roster as it stands is not playoff bound IMO, even in this weaker Pacific division.

loller12

Mar 29, 2010
Sucks to see Calgary win, but I hope they beat SJ in regulation today. Don't want the gap between 2nd/3rd place to get any wider.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Sucks to see Calgary win, but I hope they beat SJ in regulation today. Don't want the gap between 2nd/3rd place to get any wider.

But then Calgary is up with us, no win situation eh.

Just pray for regulation I guess.

And maybe a suspension or two:D

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013

If those things happened a series win wouldn't be out of the realm of probability.
I dont think bottom 6 needs any improvement THIS season. Once they get (hopefully) relatively healthy line-up I would go with:

Hall-Drai-Purcell
Khaira-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski/Lander/Pakarinen

Hendo makes bottom 6 line work with almost anybody ! He and Letestu been really good for few games. So that looks pretty good to my eye. If Khaira fades away bit, then replace him with Hendo.

Top pairing RHD is the piece. Chia get us Shattenkirk !

Burger Baron

Feb 6, 2013
Vancouver
Has anyone else noticed how soft our January schedule is ?

If we can come out of December with 12-14 of the 22 remaining points, coupled with the return of McDaddy in Jan, we might be in a pretty good spot come February

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Show me a hot team, ill show you a hot goalie :)

A little quote from Bob MacKenzie yesterday. Said its pretty much bang on.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Show me a hot team, ill show you a hot goalie :)

A little quote from Bob MacKenzie yesterday. Said its pretty much bang on.

Unless you're Ottawa, who just seem to outscore all their defensive problems. :laugh:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You'd still be looking at a much improved team. Oilers roster as it stands is not playoff bound IMO, even in this weaker Pacific division.

I just don't think multiple top-4 defenseman and a bottom six forward is the difference in quality between the Oilers and four of the other six Pacific division teams.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I dont think bottom 6 needs any improvement THIS season. Once they get (hopefully) relatively healthy line-up I would go with:

Hall-Drai-Purcell
Khaira-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov

Hendo makes bottom 6 line work with almost anybody ! He and Letestu been really good for few games. So that looks pretty good to my eye. If Khaira fades away bit, then replace him with Hendo.

Khaira's been a real pleasant surprise.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Hall-Drai-Purcell
Khaira-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov

Yeah if our d and goaltending can keep playing pretty good, that forward group is going to be so dangerous when they're all healthy. Loved Khaira on that RNH line last game.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
We don't need to worry about Calgary. They're winning way more games than they should given their goal differential. Very lucky to start the season, and we have been relatively unlucky. Injures to key players, lots of 1 goal losses, etc.

Our team is on the up and up. Nilsson won best goalie in the KHL last year for a reason. Our terrible defence is finally getting the system. If we can bring in one or two more good D, our team is a playoff team. When McDavid comes back, we surely have a shot.

Just need to stay in the race for now.

As for tomorrow night, that is a must win. SJ should be playing their backup. Their #1 D is out. We have no excuse to lose this one. I feel like this game will be the most important one of the year for a bunch of reasons. Not to mention I bet the boys will go out there and battle for McLellan given it's his old team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad