GDT: GAME 29 | Penguins @ Senators | I Saw Timmy Kissing Santa Clause | Sat Dec 23 2023 7PM | SN360, City, TVAS

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
21-11 shots us through 2
23-4 in the 3rd

Why do they just stop playing
I hope Jacques is not employing a defence only strategy with a 2 goal lead in the third period. We saw enough of that under a previous coach. Perhaps it is a "baby steps" approach to fix what has been ailing this team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
With Martin just starting I think everyone gets a clean slate. First step teach and if repeated sit a few shifts.

The TMM penalty was 50% on Norris, 25% on Giroux and 25% on the staff.
Norris deserved much more than 50% on that TMM. He should know better than to jump onto the ice without checking to see if his man is/has stepped off the ice. That was a brain dead move!

I do not wish a Merry Christmas to Kevin Bieksa
Surly isn't he?

So we just traded awful 2nd periods for awful 3rd periods?
I guess we can only play 2 out of 3 periods a game. More coaching to do.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I hope Jacques is not employing a defence only strategy with a 2 goal lead in the third period. We saw enough of that under a previous coach. Perhaps it is a "baby steps" approach to fix what has been ailing this team.

He has been preaching being aggressive. That looked like the players playing passive not to lose style they often fall into when another team has a push.

Extremely passive in their own zone collapsing, leaving the points open. Not trusting each other so they try to do someone else's job.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ok. So guys here want accountability

Ridley Greig, a clear favorite on this board, takes yet another offensive zone useless penalty 2 minutes into the game. That leads to a bench minor and a lengthy 5 on 3.

How many here are good with Ridley's ass stapled to the bench? Cause that's what accountability looks like
I am. But for a shift or 3 only while a chat takes place.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How many high danger even strength chances were there ? I don’t know.

I don’t think they “stop playing”. The other team is going to throw things at us. And when they do our defence has to have the confidence to go back retrieve the puck and do something smart with it. Right now I see the defence flubbing ALOT.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They don't trust each other. Always trying to do each other's jobs.
I wonder if they know what each other player's job is! Heck, do they even know how to do their own job? I expect Jacques to fix that, but it will take some time.

F**king screamed and climaxed
Ah, the full Canadian: watching the Senators play hockey and having . . . at the same time!

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm not saying it wasn't time. But so many posters didn't have the ability or just wanted to blame him for absolutely everything.

There were/are pure DJ haters. To say there wasn't has thousands of pages of proof to say otherwise. I always try to honestly assess and break down plays, periods and games. So many times the conversation would die because no one wanted to have the real conversation as it's too hard to face. This team is broken at a very deep level. It's going to take a while to get out of it.

Again DJ had to go the way he was coaching this team didn't line up with how it's built.

Jacques has identified the biggest issue they arent aggressive enough on pucks. They play too loose. He's right they need to play with more speed. More puck pressure with tighter gaps. Especially in the neutral zone and at the blue lines. This teams mind set Needs to be puck pressure at all times. It's going to take a long time to execute.this over 60 minutes consistently it won't be a smooth transition but it is how they should play.

That being said this team has alot of selfish players that need to fully buy in. It's gonna take some time.

Yes Bert, all of these previously great all around players are magically selfish now. It has nothing to do with playing in a system which forced them to play like individuals because structure was nowhere to be found.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Norris deserved much more than 50% on that TMM. He should know better than to jump onto the ice without checking to see if his man is/has stepped off the ice. That was a brain dead move!

Surly isn't he?

I guess we can only play 2 out of 3 periods a game. More coaching to do.
You can’t wait for the man you are replacing to get on the bench, Giroux looked to be coming off

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Wait did Stu mention Kells blocked 5 shots in a row. . I did not see that mentioned in the GDT .. surprising lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You can’t wait for the man you are replacing to get on the bench, Giroux looked to be coming off
Typically the player coming off signals the bench, Giroux didn't. I agree Giroux looked like he might go for a change, and maybe should have too. I suspect part of the confusion comes from the old system of Giroux being out for the faceoff on the PK and immediately changing

Wait did Stu mention Kells blocked 5 shots in a row. . I did not see that mentioned in the GDT .. surprising lol

Well, Kelly was only credited with 3 blocks all game, so maybe Stu is including disrupting passes?

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
There it is! Appreciate backing my point up immediately.
Must have misread your original post then. So we are in agreeance that DJ should have been fired years ago. Dog shit coach who couldn’t get any structure out of the players. Far too loosy goosy.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Our PK has greatly improved
Pens PP is 13.7%, dead last in the league. Our boys do look more organized, but hard to judge until we play a team with a good PP. The Leafs are at 26.4%, 4th in the league. We'll see how they do on the PK on the 27th.

Reactions: Dionysus

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Apparently it is a John Denver song?

No clue who that is.
Country music. He passed in 1997 so probably before many of this board's time. I didn't notice it during the broadcast but John Denver's most famous song is Country Roads so it may have been that. If it was, have to admit, I like that song and know most of the lyrics lol.

Reactions: Relapsing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad