GDT: GAME 29 | Penguins @ Senators | I Saw Timmy Kissing Santa Clause | Sat Dec 23 2023 7PM | SN360, City, TVAS

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ok. So guys here want accountability

Ridley Greig, a clear favorite on this board, takes yet another offensive zone useless penalty 2 minutes into the game. That leads to a bench minor and a lengthy 5 on 3.

How many here are good with Ridley's ass stapled to the bench? Cause that's what accountability looks like
Should the coach bench himself for the too many men penalty? Accountability all around. This is your new thing now eh. Going after Greig?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It really must be hurting the it's all DJ's fault crowd realizing he can't play for the players eh.
Stop being dramatic. Plenty of blame to go around. DJ was way past his best by date and it was time for a change.

I find it odd that those who claim the pure DJ haters are just hating on DJ and only him don't read the GDTs where every single player has been called out for poor play.

No one has been safe from criticism

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stop being dramatic. Plenty of blame to go around. DJ was way past his best by date and it was time for a change.

I find it odd that those who claim the pure DJ haters are just hating on DJ and only him don't read the GDTs where every single player has been called out for poor play.

No one has been safe from criticism
I'm not saying it wasn't time. But so many posters didn't have the ability or just wanted to blame him for absolutely everything.

There were/are pure DJ haters. To say there wasn't has thousands of pages of proof to say otherwise. I always try to honestly assess and break down plays, periods and games. So many times the conversation would die because no one wanted to have the real conversation as it's too hard to face. This team is broken at a very deep level. It's going to take a while to get out of it.

Again DJ had to go the way he was coaching this team didn't line up with how it's built.

Jacques has identified the biggest issue they arent aggressive enough on pucks. They play too loose. He's right they need to play with more speed. More puck pressure with tighter gaps. Especially in the neutral zone and at the blue lines. This teams mind set Needs to be puck pressure at all times. It's going to take a long time to execute.this over 60 minutes consistently it won't be a smooth transition but it is how they should play.

That being said this team has alot of selfish players that need to fully buy in. It's gonna take some time.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
I'm not saying it wasn't time. But so many posters didn't have the ability or just wanted to blame him for absolutely everything.

There were/are pure DJ haters. To say there wasn't has thousands of pages of proof to say otherwise. I always try to honestly assess and break down plays, periods and games. So many times the conversation would die because no one wanted to have the real conversation as it's too hard to face. This team is broken at a very deep level. It's going to take a while to get out of it.

Again DJ had to go the way he was coaching this team didn't line up with how it's built.

Jacques has identified the biggest issue they arent aggressive enough on pucks. They play too loose. He's right they need to play with more speed. More puck pressure with tighter gaps. Especially in the neutral zone and at the blue lines. This teams mind set Needs to be puck pressure at all times. It's going to take a long time to execute.this over 60 minutes consistently it won't be a smooth transition but it is how they should play.

That being said this team has alot of selfish players that need to fully buy in. It's gonna take some time.
Having selfish players who don’t buy in is on the coach too imo. I need another 4-6 weeks before adjudicating if the sens are broken or not - i.e. what was DJs fault and what wasn’t.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

You don't think 5 years is a long time for these selfish players to learn to buy in? You don't think that DJ is responsible at all for rewarding those guys with more Prime minutes, stat padding on contract years, despite floating in our zone? These exact players will somehow learn to be unselfish with a new coach and it isn't just because they're reaching a new age of maturity, it's because the country club setting is gone.

Jacques identified that they're not aggressive enough on pucks. Do you know how sad that is? DJ isn't a master tactician, the single trait his team should have is being hard on pucks, literally every interview he has is about that. After 5 days, a retired 70yo coach comes in and says the team isn't good at the one specific thing the previous coach has preached for 5 years.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Ridley Greig, a clear favorite on this board, takes yet another offensive zone useless penalty 2 minutes into the game. That leads to a bench minor and a lengthy 5 on 3.

How many here are good with Ridley's ass stapled to the bench? Cause that's what accountability looks like
I didn’t see the game, so is just a hypothetical or did Greig really get benched?

For the record I really like Greig and would be fully supportive of him getting benched.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006

Care to explain how his only caused the 5-3? I’m all for benching but let’s deal in reality instead of hysterias.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’d give the new coaches some more time with the players before analyzing and criticizing too hard.

So far so good imo

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Should the coach bench himself for the too many men penalty? Accountability all around. This is your new thing now eh. Going after Greig?
You misunderstand.

Not going after Greig at all. He's just the guy that took the penalty

We took two bad O zone penalties in the prior game. Jacques talked about it. Guys here have talked about the players being held accountable.

So this is an example. The very thing the new coach talked about happens two minutes into a game.

It doesn't matter who the player is. Could have been anyone. We started with two good shifts and that was a really bad penalty to take. We were lucky it didn't cost us.

So I'm asking.... should he be held accountable? If it was Batherson instead of a rookie should Batherson have been held accountable?

There it is! Appreciate backing my point up immediately.
You're going to take a random comment as backing up your point?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I didn’t see the game, so is just a hypothetical or did Greig really get benched?

For the record I really like Greig and would be fully supportive of him getting benched.
No, it's hypothetical. I like Greig too.

I'm asking

Guys have used the phrase holding them accountable a lot and it's been repeated ad nauseum that not holding them accountable was a big problem in the DJ era.

So Jacques says after 2 games we have to stop taking O zone penalties

2 minutes into his 3rd game, Greig takes an O zone penalty

So what does holding them accountable look like?

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

lt it was Norris who took the too many men, it was dumb ya.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
lt it was Norris who took the too many men, it was dumb ya.
Ya I get that. But it's not what I was asking. The too many men probably happened because of new assignments under a new coach while on the PK. It probably doesn't happen if they're not on the PK.

I was asking about the O zone penalty

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It really must be hurting the it's all DJ's fault crowd realizing he can't play for the players eh.
I think there’s been an improvement. The third periods the ice is tilting. Something we need to address

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Merry Xmas from the SNES!

1703437493121.png

• Love
Reactions: armani and senswon

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With Martin just starting I think everyone gets a clean slate. First step teach and if repeated sit a few shifts.

The TMM penalty was 50% on Norris, 25% on Giroux and 25% on the staff.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Only came back to home and started watching right after penguin made it to 4-3 in the third period, so I can only comment after that. This is probably the first time I watch the game that they don't give away a lot of high scoring chances.

Yes, penguins got the most offensive play in the third. But in the past, most of the time was that the sens got defensive and at the same time gave away high scoring chances. But at least today, after the score of 4-3, I didn't really see the sens gave away many high scoring chances at all. The tying goal was from the blue line.

They started to play more counter attacks, and more players came back and supported each other more. One thing I want to see more is the more active sticks. But we will see how Jacques Martin continues to guide this team
I found the Senators played too passively and let the Penguins get back into the game. Lots of work for Jacques to do. Lots of learning still to take place by the players.

Reactions: albator71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad