GDT: Game 29: Columbus vs. Los Angeles | 12/8 7PM EST

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Boy, this team might be farther away from winning than I thought. I think it's going to take several seasons to get these guys educated and in shape. I was hoping that wasn't the case, but it's becoming more and more clear that it is. Joey needs to lose 15 pounds and quit partying so much, he looks slow and has all season, I've said it over and over, and he's lost his hands. We are in trouble boys, Torts knows it. Todd was a nice guy and everyone loved him because apparently he didn't push anyone in practice, and didn't teach the game. Torts has a mountain to climb here.

If the problem is conditioning (maybe, but I don't think that's the only reason.) that can be fixed in one offseason if the guys put in the work. Joey's hands are gone? What? He has used them less, that I can agree with, but gone?

Is the Joey partying thing just a thing you said or does it actually have merit? Real question.

Agreed about Todd being too nice, but it's on the guys to get themselves ready and in shape to play. If they don't have that, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I think it's going to take several seasons to get these guys educated and in shape. We are in trouble boys, Torts knows it. Todd was a nice guy and everyone loved him because apparently he didn't push anyone in practice, and didn't teach the game. Torts has a mountain to climb here.

Strange, so strange. I wrote ( practically) same words on russian Jackets' board some days ago :amazed::amazed:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Glad I no longer have cable I think. This sounds like a Gong Show. Hope Bob isn't too serious.

Funny you should mention that, I have spent the last couple of hours going over my options for cutting the cord. The CBJ are literally the only reason I keep my cable. I am questioning that decision more than ever tonight.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I know. I guess my joke fell flat. Never happened before to me:laugh:

:facepalm:

I just went back and saw you were the one who originally made the comment. D'oh!

Funny you should mention that, I have spent the last couple of hours going over my options for cutting the cord. The CBJ are literally the only reason I keep my cable. I am questioning that decision more than ever tonight.

I cancelled over the summer and picked up Sling TV and NHL GCL for all games I can't go to even as a STH (;))

I have saved some money so far

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
LA is certainly the hottest team in the league and they dominated possession tonight. Our forecheck was completely handled with only a few exceptions, including the late rush that resulted in Dubi's shot off the post.

We didn't play well, plain and simple, I get sick of these games where the only positives on the ice are 72, 11, 58, and a couple of the other bottom 6'ers.

Joey comes that close twice, one on one, once against Doughty and again against McBain but can't find the net. Dubi hits the post, Nick fires one up into Quicks gear, we just couldn't catch any luck and that put the game on Bob's shoulders. Bob delivered and depending how long he is down, we could be in for a long stretch...a nails in the coffin stretch.

Optimistic take on things...4 points in our last 3 games, we're just a 5 game run from hitting the point per game mark, and if we can do that by the mid point we'll be in a position to push for the bubble in the second half of the season. 17 points in the next 12 games....8-3-1 if you will. Gotta have a streak to get there.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I cancelled over the summer and picked up Sling TV and NHL GCL for all games I can't go to even as a STH (;))

I have saved some money so far

yeah, that's the route I was thinking of going, the only thing is that the CBJ ruin hockey for me in general so i might not even keep the GCL monthly sub, either...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Forgot about Dubi hitting the post on a wide open net..that was killer

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
"No, I think we played different tonight than we did the last couple games, that’s for sure, and obviously against a team that probably doesn’t have as much individual skill as the last two teams we played."

Sutter pretty much calling Foligno, Johansen, Saad, Jenner, Atkinson, Hartnell bums. Time to wake the **** up and show some pride.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Sutter pretty much calling Foligno, Johansen, Saad, Jenner, Atkinson, Hartnell bums. Time to wake the **** up and show some pride.

No, he said our skill isn't on par with Chicago and Tampa Bay. He's not wrong. He's also not saying we have no skill players

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

The Jackets were the only thing keeping me in. But finances are simply too tight right now so it had to go. I'm not as sad as I would have been last year. Hopefully I can right my money ship before they consistently improve their play. I have Netflix for everything else and it suits me just fine.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
He's out of shape, you can see it in his skating, he's overweight and needs to drop 15 pounds and quit partying. He's out partying with the ice girls all the time, I know people that know. The same people that didn't want to trade Nash or the ones saying not to trade Johansen, but look what we got for Nash and it turned our franchise around. Might be time to start seriously considering it, only for a huge return, but we need D so badly....

It was such a turnaround, they turned around twice and ended up back where they started.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If the problem is conditioning (maybe, but I don't think that's the only reason.) that can be fixed in one offseason if the guys put in the work. Joey's hands are gone? What? He has used them less, that I can agree with, but gone?

Is the Joey partying thing just a thing you said or does it actually have merit? Real question.

Agreed about Todd being too nice, but it's on the guys to get themselves ready and in shape to play. If they don't have that, it doesn't matter who the coach is.

Sadly it's a real thing, I know a guy that works for the NHL for jackets games, the owner of R Bar and several Pepsi girls. He seems to have a little bit of Johnny Manziel in him but flies under the radar.

Gone was my anger speaking but certainly can't dangle like he has done in the past. I think that all points to conditioning. And conditioning starts with attitude. This isn't the first time Joey's been benched or deserving of a benching, remember when he joined the AHL for the playoffs and was scratched?

I think him making the All-Star team gave him too big of an ego and he hasn't put in the work. He makes the occasional nice pass but he's not beating anyone one on one

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
LA is certainly the hottest team in the league and they dominated possession tonight. Our forecheck was completely handled with only a few exceptions, including the late rush that resulted in Dubi's shot off the post.

We didn't play well, plain and simple, I get sick of these games where the only positives on the ice are 72, 11, 58, and a couple of the other bottom 6'ers.

Joey comes that close twice, one on one, once against Doughty and again against McBain but can't find the net. Dubi hits the post, Nick fires one up into Quicks gear, we just couldn't catch any luck and that put the game on Bob's shoulders. Bob delivered and depending how long he is down, we could be in for a long stretch...a nails in the coffin stretch.

Optimistic take on things...4 points in our last 3 games, we're just a 5 game run from hitting the point per game mark, and if we can do that by the mid point we'll be in a position to push for the bubble in the second half of the season. 17 points in the next 12 games....8-3-1 if you will. Gotta have a streak to get there.

58 was atrocious tonight

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

I appreciate your optimism but we are 7 points behind Boston and they have 3 games in hand so potentially 13 points out....we need a 10-1-1 streak or we are finished, they need to call up some offensive talent, I would give Milano a look, Rychel is nice but he's not a dangler that can spark some offense

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
tumblr_inline_nydp3pU7a51r6ig5i_500.gif

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Sadly it's a real thing, I know a guy that works for the NHL for jackets games, the owner of R Bar and several Pepsi girls. He seems to have a little bit of Johnny Manziel in him but flies under the radar.

Gone was my anger speaking but certainly can't dangle like he has done in the past. I think that all points to conditioning. And conditioning starts with attitude. This isn't the first time Joey's been benched or deserving of a benching, remember when he joined the AHL for the playoffs and was scratched?

I think him making the All-Star team gave him too big of an ego and he hasn't put in the work. He makes the occasional nice pass but he's not beating anyone one on one

He must be great at hiding it, I know his girlfriend goes to Ohio State, and he could party there I guess.

Its okay to party and do all that if you still put in the work. Is Joey out of shape? It appears like its possible. Does he lack the work ethic to be an ultra elite NHL player? It seems that way right now. But he's still young and could change his ways in that regard. He's only 23, he's going to do things 23 year olds do. I don't think trading him because of this issue is a good move unless its an extreme overpay by the other team, but you can't accept overweight and unmotivated.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

This is a good outlook, but they need a 6-10 game win streak to become serious contenders for this. And they need it fast.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He must be great at hiding it, I know his girlfriend goes to Ohio State, and he could party there I guess.

Its okay to party and do all that if you still put in the work. Is Joey out of shape? It appears like its possible. Does he lack the work ethic to be an ultra elite NHL player? It seems that way right now. But he's still young and could change his ways in that regard. He's only 23, he's going to do things 23 year olds do. I don't think trading him because of this issue is a good move unless its an extreme overpay by the other team, but you can't accept overweight and unmotivated.

Have you met him in person? He's got a little gut on him, he could drop 15 pounds to make him faster. He does the south campus bars a lot. I'm not calling for a trade but he better get his **** together quick!

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Have you met him in person? He's got a little gut on him, he could drop 15 pounds to make him faster. He does the south campus bars a lot. I'm not calling for a trade but he better get his **** together quick!

I have but not in a while. He does seem to be a bit bigger judging by the pictures that the team released the other day when they were making desks. Hopefully he uses this as motivation to work really hard over the Christmas break.

Btw. I wish we were in the pacific division. We'd be right in it . So much for the East being weaker :(

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I have but not in a while. He does seem to be a bit bigger judging by the pictures that the team released the other day when they were making desks. Hopefully he uses this as motivation to work really hard over the Christmas break.

Btw. I wish we were in the pacific division. We'd be right in it . So much for the East being weaker :(

LOL.. like he's really going to get his act together all the sudden and change over Christmas break.

I love how you go from "oh no no no, he's not out of shape at all" when his conditioning is first called out in this thread to "working really hard over Christmas break" ... riiiiiight :shakehead

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Jarmo_Booth1_1280x720_582479427636.vresize.693.390.high.19.jpg

No reason for all the gloom. It is quite positive seeing the team organized to somewhat hold defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad