Post-Game Talk: GAME 29 - Bruins blow a 2-0 lead and lose to LA in the shootout

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Only 2nd game I missed so far this season. Did box score check throughout the night...
2-0 when I checked.

Then 3-2 SOL on my way home.

They gave up a lead, but how did they play?
Sloppy - it was Turn-Back-the-Clock Night for Brad Marchand - 2014 Brad

This was why I would never referee and one toughest job in sports - just smart move by LA forward we learn early on - you feel a stick by your feet and you are skating drop like you been shot

The guy in back of me in overtime was talking the entire game to his buddies and was the smartest guy I’ve had in those seats- as soon as 4 on 3 he lost it no defenseman - he was livid neither Mac or Lindy out there to run power play

Didn’t say anything but agreed

Irritated two needless losses in OT

Lindholm needs to play separately from McAvoy- defers to much

Put him with Clifton

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
A call or two doesn't happen. A close shot goes in instesd of missing. The conversation would be about the good win. League has a lot of parity. Bs are outplaying teams even in most of their losses. There are some things to work on, but on the whole still very happy with the team at this point.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Get me a lucic here and park his butt on the pp fire from point score on rebound. Enough of this cutie passes. If we cant get lucic then put greer butt there or foligno. I want grease on the powerplay. If we did that once I bet anyone we had a positive result of some kind.

It drives me nuts- the team tends to be too pass happy 5x5 but it is really glaring on the power play. Quit trying for the perfect and start trying for the possible. The only way to do that is to crash the net, not stand 25-30 feet away passing the puck around like a dessert at Thanksgiving dinner. :banghead: :pullhair:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I saw this today, Linus in his Bruins gear!

1671200209923.jpeg

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Good for then to get some adversity but still get a point out of it. Team is in a great place but much of them are still new, and getting used to the new system. I don’t think we’ve peaked but it’s a long season.

Would like to see Marchy be a little more disciplined, he let a lot of people get under his skin. Everyone except DeBrusk has to practice shootouts.

Reactions: Gordoff

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I would like to see Swayman get a few more starts before and after the holiday. Linus is the man and zero fault in anything he's doing, but don't want him overworked. Several back to backs coming up too.

Zacha has looked better at 2C than DK did last night. As Aussie so aptly said, the grind is upon us, and having points banked is important. The Leafs and Bolts are right on our tails and letting them play 7 games in April is the recipe for a long run.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I would like to see Swayman get a few more starts before and after the holiday. Linus is the man and zero fault in anything he's doing, but don't want him overworked. Several back to backs coming up too.

Zacha has looked better at 2C than DK did last night. As Aussie so aptly said, the grind is upon us, and having points banked is important. The Leafs and Bolts are right on our tails and letting them play 7 games in April is the recipe for a long run.
I agree.
krejci has not looked good 5 on 5.
hopefully back on the winning track tomorrow.
I think these past 2 games back from the long trip they have been especially rusty.
I think after a good practice today they will be back to normal tomorrow.
hopefully swayman has a good game to get his confidence back. We need to start playing him more.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Well back to hating shootouts again,really seems like Debrusk and Coyle are the only two real threats to score in shootouts,that 4-3 power play really killed them.Oh well on to the next game ,hope Swayman gets the start they really need to get him back on track again.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That was frustrating but LA is actually not a terrible team - they have about the same number of points as Tampa, so I am not sure why some thought it would be a cake walk. They got blown out the game before, you could see in the second they started to play hard.

McAvoy wasn't himself last night, Lindholm was a game time decision because of illness, I wonder if something is going around as well...it is everywhere else, so makes sense they could be a bit under the weather.

The Leafs lost so at least we gained another point on them and still have 2 games in hand. Their torrid pace can't continue either.

Seems like so many people are sick. My workplace has had confirmed cases of Flu A/B, Covid, Strep, Sinus Infections and head colds in the past 10 days. Dozens of people out sick.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
That was not a very good game by any definition. Sabres blew them out 6-0 and we couldn't hold a 2-0 lead? The early season offense is drying up a little and we're looking a little bit more like last year's team. Not terrible, but lacking finish and relying too much on defensive play. I'm not worried yet, but the Leafs are right behind us.
Sky's falling!!!

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Krecji missing a couple of games is the reason he may have looked a bit off.
he will be ok he has two good wingers

Reactions: BMC

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
It drives me nuts- the team tends to be too pass happy 5x5 but it is really glaring on the power play. Quit trying for the perfect and start trying for the possible. The only way to do that is to crash the net, not stand 25-30 feet away passing the puck around like a dessert at Thanksgiving dinner. :banghead: :pullhair:
Dumb high risk cross passes throughout all powerplays. Just wire from point and cause a ruckus in front of the net.

• Love
Reactions: BMC and BTO

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Lindholm imo is the key reason for the bruins play this year (aside from the obvious of ullmark)

when lindholm was alone he was flying and the bruins were as well, once chuck came back he quieted down a bit

i want to see him just be the guy in his pairing

after that blown call allowing bergeron to come on during the delay, something tells me the hockey gods were gunning for the bruins last night, was fitting we lost in the SO

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

This was why I would never referee and one toughest job in sports - just smart move by LA forward we learn early on - you feel a stick by your feet and you are skating drop like you been shot

The guy in back of me in overtime was talking the entire game to his buddies and was the smartest guy I’ve had in those seats- as soon as 4 on 3 he lost it no defenseman - he was livid neither Mac or Lindy out there to run power play

Put him with Clifton
Thanks for the update!

Doesn't sound great... but hopefully a learning experience. Maybe humbles the team a little bit.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Put him with Clifton
Dan,
You see the power play from a great vantage point and I've read before how you want a d-man out there. I personally prefer having at least one (if not two d-men on the power play depending on line-up)... and somewhat defer. The power play has also been amongst the best in the league - as it should be with the talent they have. So I'm splitting hairs.

They don't have Ray Bourque back there that can hold the point, open shooting lanes, give himself options and get the puck through. The don't have an E. Karlsson either that can just float around with the puck forever and terrorize with speed. They have three zone d-men.

McAvoy is amazing but his skill-set doesn't really advance the power play IMO. I believe he would grow into the roll over a season or two but seems like the weakest link as his instincts aren't quite there. Just seems to distribute the puck a moment slower and struggles to get his shot through. He's a very balanced d-man and it seems he has a tough time flipping that switch to only focus on offence.
I prefer Lindholm. I think it's mostly experience as he seems a bit quicker distributing the puck and can get his wrist shot through, but he's still not that kinda quarterback.
Grz doesn't have the shot to be a threat and open things up.
Clifton's too aggressive for the power play.

I don't know. Guess just keep rolling McAvoy out there and hope he gets better. I don't mind Krejci as I think he's one of the best forwards at playing defence (or was) (not defence in a Bergeron way but as an actual defenceman) as his understanding of angles and his backwards skating is (was) right up there.

Long post but have thought about that 5th guy quite a few times and still don't know.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Dan,
You see the power play from a great vantage point and I've read before how you want a d-man out there. I personally prefer having at least one (if not two d-men on the power play depending on line-up)... and somewhat defer. The power play has also been amongst the best in the league - as it should be with the talent they have. So I'm splitting hairs.

They don't have Ray Bourque back there that can hold the point, open shooting lanes, give himself options and get the puck through. The don't have an E. Karlsson either that can just float around with the puck forever and terrorize with speed. They have three zone d-men.

McAvoy is amazing but his skill-set doesn't really advance the power play IMO. I believe he would grow into the roll over a season or two but seems like the weakest link as his instincts aren't quite there. Just seems to distribute the puck a moment slower and struggles to get his shot through. He's a very balanced d-man and it seems he has a tough time flipping that switch to only focus on offence.
I prefer Lindholm. I think it's mostly experience as he seems a bit quicker distributing the puck and can get his wrist shot through, but he's still not that kinda quarterback.

I don't know. Guess just keep rolling McAvoy out there and hope he gets better. I don't mind Krejci as I think he's one of the best forwards at playing defence (or was) (not defence in a Bergeron way but as an actual defenceman) as his understanding of angles and his backwards skating is (was) right up there.

Long post but have thought about that 5th guy quite a few times and still don't know.
Mostly I'd like to see at least one d-man on the PP because they're experienced at keeping the puck in the zone.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
We played one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL, at home, and only managed to pot 2 goals. Simple as that.

On to the next one.....

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dan,

I can see this so well - close to what goalie sees

McAvoy & Lindholm play the point - they facilitate, they can walk line line

They play a daimond rolling out arguably the best 4 wingers on a PP

I’m fine with Charlie- he’s aggressive, decisive, and skilled

My theory is Monty wants to keep Krejci on but he should put him on second group and tell first group to get off the ice after a clear after a minute

They are staying out there

Who’s going to attach a defender and open things up ? Krejci or Lindholm/McAvoy

I don’t believe Montgomery can’t see this

To many of my hockey buds agree on the defenseman & 3 forwards - and I am not the author of this - I’ve had friends bring it up to me before I ever said a thing to them

He’s 0-2 in OT with no flow and momentum lost

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks for the update!

Doesn't sound great... but hopefully a learning experience. Maybe humbles the team a little bit.
They aren’t cocky - they need a few practices. Go over a few things, clean up stuff, put on the skates without a game and have a different mindset

Tells me how good they are

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah Monty's done so much right so far this season but these all-forward PPs just blow. As you say, the shape is wrong, no-one is really quarterbacking the whole operation, and it just becomes a confused, ineffective mess.

The PP in general has been a bit hot/cold all season, but there's no denying that overall it's been very handy - 3rd best PP% in the league is more than fine. Those OT efforts though, they need some work. Yes they're rare, but still the kind of opportunity you want to be seizing when it does present itself.
They throw out Marchand, Pastrnak, Hall, and DeBrusk- all four can shoot with the best of them. Get a point guard a facilitator- someone who can move laterally and sees ice entire game from that vantage

Both Bruins defenseman are so much more quicker and better skaters who push the play - Krejci is calculated and matrixish

Irritating because it was unsuccessful but I entertaining those 3-4 minutes of four on three

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad