Post-Game Talk: GAME 29 - Bruins blow a 2-0 lead and lose to LA in the shootout

Ddawg

Mar 7, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
You can't go undefeated in the season, losses like this happen. You get overconfident against weaker teams and you end up playing your "B" game. What needs to happen now is you start resting some of your older players here and there.

Reactions: sarge88 and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
LA in recent years has done well at TD Garden

Last four games in Boston between LA Kings & Boston Bruins
Date Score Winner OT Goal Scorer

March 7, 2022 3-2 (OT) LA Kings Andreas Athanasiou
Dec. 17, 2019 4-3 (OT) LA Kings Anze Kopitar
Feb. 9, 2019 5-4 (OT) Boston Bruins Patrice Bergeron
Oct. 28, 2017 2-1 (OT) LA Kings Tyler Toffoli

Out of the last 10 games played in Boston between these two teams, seven have been one-goal games

As @Aussie Bruin pointed out earlier we are now in the middle phase of the season. Every team has the dates they play the Bruins circled.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
That was frustrating but LA is actually not a terrible team - they have about the same number of points as Tampa, so I am not sure why some thought it would be a cake walk. They got blown out the game before, you could see in the second they started to play hard.

McAvoy wasn't himself last night, Lindholm was a game time decision because of illness, I wonder if something is going around as well...it is everywhere else, so makes sense they could be a bit under the weather.

The Leafs lost so at least we gained another point on them and still have 2 games in hand. Their torrid pace can't continue either.

aguineapig

Wasn't worried when the Kings scored their first goal, we seemed to still have control of the game. Growing concern after the Cliffy call and objects were identified flying through the living room when Carlo was whistled.
Tying goal all but a given, as Brick stated had to worry about now giving up the go ahead goal. Refs were the usual but we did have two PP's in the final ten minutes prior to that during which Pheonix stayed Copley Square to the shooters and we could not finish them off. The PP that carried over to OT was MIA. There are times when the man advantage is lights out but the four forwards in OT seems to be a complete power failure. At least we picked up a point on the Leafs and nothing was broken in the aerial attack on the living room. I have learned to throw pillows now that I do not have ashtrays at my disposal and keep the remote out of reach under the couch cushions.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Being down 2 men and LA having a 5 on 3 did not help, but the Bruins had chances and blew it, Pasta hit the post a couple times, but the PP despite scoring a goal was brutal. Monty has been great as a coach, but not sure what he was thinking putting 4 forwards on the PP to start the 4 on 3 in OT, you have 2 stud D in McAvoy and Lindholm who can put up PP points as much as Krejci could and gives you defensive help in case of a turnover. They basically wasted that OT PP by screwing around too much and wasting time.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If this team had a half decent Dman to take a hard and accurate slapshot from the blue line on the PP they would be unstoppable.

As much as McAvoy and Lidholm are good 5 on 5 they suck on the PP. One lousy goal between two of them with that much time on PP is ridiculous.
The biggest asset between Marchy, Bergy, Pasta is they can be unpredictable and can improvise on the fly. Pushing them to set plays kills any creativity they have during PP. Not having any threat on the blue line during PP forces them to play to the perfection to score a goal. Hence the nickname of that line. Even my grandma knows now it's gonna be either Bergy on the bumper with a quick shot or Pasta with his hit or miss slapper from the left circle. And she has been dead for 10 years.
They haven’t played that way for years. I too have complained. I agree with a slap shot, they both have it but I’m thinking analytics got the better of the slap shot and now they throw it to the net.

Reactions: BMC

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Boston was the better team. Occasionally a goalie is going to come in and beat us. That is what happened last night. On a side note, that was one of the best officiated games I have witnessed in a long time. The ice was terrible last night and really cost both teams several major scoring chances. The league really should put ice standards and testing between periods into the rules. Then start fining teams that aren't meeting the standards a million per game. Someone is eventually going to lose an edge or toe pick in the wrong place and end up with a serious injury.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Ok Monty - two games at home overtime with PP and four Forwards in a box

Wtf

One Minute of Marchand - Bergeron-Pastrnak & MCAVOY

One minute of Hall- Krejci-DeBrusk & LINDHOLM

Play a dainond and it’s nearly impossible to defend

I believe they win both

Yeah Monty's done so much right so far this season but these all-forward PPs just blow. As you say, the shape is wrong, no-one is really quarterbacking the whole operation, and it just becomes a confused, ineffective mess.

The PP in general has been a bit hot/cold all season, but there's no denying that overall it's been very handy - 3rd best PP% in the league is more than fine. Those OT efforts though, they need some work. Yes they're rare, but still the kind of opportunity you want to be seizing when it does present itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH and BMC

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Yeah Monty's done so much right so far this season but these all-forward PPs just blow. As you say, the shape is wrong, no-one is really quarterbacking the whole operation, and it just becomes a confused, ineffective mess.

The PP in general has been a bit hot/cold all season, but there's no denying that overall it's been very handy - 3rd best PP% in the league is more than fine. Those OT efforts though, they need some work. Yes they're rare, but still the kind of opportunity you want to be seizing when it does present itself.
Frustrating they continue to go back to them.
I believe he has to start playing four lines
Fitting the fourth unit in here there is wearing down the top three
Lastly I don’t care who is out of the lineup leave Coyle’s line intact. They Had four lines going now they are depending on power plays.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
https://epaper.bostonglobe.com/get_image.aspx?w=280&eid=0bb357a4-c973-48d7-95e7-ea554f2bce25&pnum=23&lm=63806776217887

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It could just be me but it seemed like they were better when cliffy was given second pair ice time minutes

Lindholm doesn't look like half the player he was earlier this season when he is paired with McAvoy. I think Lindholm is much more suited to being "the man" on his pair as oppose to the sidekick.

I get that Monty is trying different things out but to me this D-corps is set-up best with McAvoy, Lindholm and Carlo on different pairs.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
We're going to get games like this occasionally, I expect they'll figure things out.

However, I am concerned about two things:
1. We're not getting goals from the defense anymore.
2. Marchand looks like he's on track to do something 10-game suspension worthy.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
This is a very good post but we need to keep in mind they have alot of road games coming soon so .700 might be a bit much.Pretty sure end January first 10 or so days of Feb they play 11 games out of 15 on road.They also finish a 5 gamer in Toronto as an example it's not easy trips either.
Might be the best thing for them. Continuing to earn their keep on the road and away from the early season home cooking.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Lindholm doesn't look like half the player he was earlier this season when he is paired with McAvoy. I think Lindholm is much more suited to being "the man" on his pair as oppose to the sidekick.

I get that Monty is trying different things out but to me this D-corps is set-up best with McAvoy, Lindholm and Carlo on different pairs.
I agree. They're both line/pairing drivers in my eyes. They certainly have the ability to roll out Mac and Hammer on different lines. And why not? That means they're swallowing up more game time.

The Lightning have done the same with their big pillars on the backend in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00