Post-Game Talk: GAME 29 - Bruins blow a 2-0 lead and lose to LA in the shootout

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Dumb high risk cross passes throughout all powerplays. Just wire from point and cause a ruckus in front of the net.
Reading your post reminded me of several old playoff posts discussing this same topic. I feel there's a balance needed between the two approaches, depending on what presents itself. Read and react.
Agreed back then and also now with you those low percentage seam passes are fine every now and then, but are just that, low percentage. Need other options when they're not working.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I can see this so well - close to what goalie sees

McAvoy & Lindholm play the point - they facilitate, they can walk line line

They play a daimond rolling out arguably the best 4 wingers on a PP

I’m fine with Charlie- he’s aggressive, decisive, and skilled

My theory is Monty wants to keep Krejci on but he should put him on second group and tell first group to get off the ice after a clear after a minute

They are staying out there

Who’s going to attach a defender and open things up ? Krejci or Lindholm/McAvoy

I don’t believe Montgomery can’t see this

To many of my hockey buds agree on the defenseman & 3 forwards - and I am not the author of this - I’ve had friends bring it up to me before I ever said a thing to them

He’s 0-2 in OT with no flow and momentum lost
i do defer to you, honestly, you see this better than I do. (no sarcasm: I would love to watch a power play from your seats to see it from your vantage point as I'd understand it different.)
- I was thinking less of 4 on 3 than straight power play but...

I just... it's a strange one. I think McAvoy (and Lindholdm) has all the skills to be an incredible power play quarterback, walking the line and distributing the puck, pushing in as they hold possession, closing the walls, getting off one timers, etc. However I don't think he's there. I believe the coaches need to focus on this aspect over the next four months because I think that it's a difficult adjustment for someone like McAvoy who's generally been focused on separating the man from the puck and moving it up ice or taking rushes and perfect angles on defence.
It's a different skill-set that I don't think he quite has. It'll hopefully come soon enough but in my opinion it needs some directed coaching and many more reps.

I look forward to chatting about this again.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Mostly I'd like to see at least one d-man on the PP because they're experienced at keeping the puck in the zone.
I agree. However I don't find them quite up to task just yet. (splitting hairs again as their pp is pretty darn good)
My issue (if there is one) is that the play slows down a bit too much on their stick and becomes predictable.

It's Whack-A-Mole. My issue last year was Pastrnak missing the net and the puck ringing off the boards and leaving the zone. He's cleaned that up. ... other issue I see is that Bergeron has to start scoring a few more one timers from the slot. Probably the only part of his game that I notice a difference in as age becomes a factor.

Reactions: Gordoff

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Lindholm imo is the key reason for the bruins play this year (aside from the obvious of ullmark)

when lindholm was alone he was flying and the bruins were as well, once chuck came back he quieted down a bit

i want to see him just be the guy in his pairing

after that blown call allowing bergeron to come on during the delay, something tells me the hockey gods were gunning for the bruins last night, was fitting we lost in the SO
I agree with all of this

They weren’t bad last night. But they can, and will be much better on other nights. Even with everything that happened they still had about 90 seconds of a 4 on 3 and couldn’t get anything going in OT.

It’s not the end of the world. They’ll lose again. They’ll have games where they get the doors blown off the building, and they will have games they suck and win 4-0. It happens.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Dan,
You see the power play from a great vantage point and I've read before how you want a d-man out there. I personally prefer having at least one (if not two d-men on the power play depending on line-up)... and somewhat defer. The power play has also been amongst the best in the league - as it should be with the talent they have. So I'm splitting hairs.

They don't have Ray Bourque back there that can hold the point, open shooting lanes, give himself options and get the puck through. The don't have an E. Karlsson either that can just float around with the puck forever and terrorize with speed. They have three zone d-men.

McAvoy is amazing but his skill-set doesn't really advance the power play IMO. I believe he would grow into the roll over a season or two but seems like the weakest link as his instincts aren't quite there. Just seems to distribute the puck a moment slower and struggles to get his shot through. He's a very balanced d-man and it seems he has a tough time flipping that switch to only focus on offence.
I prefer Lindholm. I think it's mostly experience as he seems a bit quicker distributing the puck and can get his wrist shot through, but he's still not that kinda quarterback.
Grz doesn't have the shot to be a threat and open things up.
Clifton's too aggressive for the power play.

I don't know. Guess just keep rolling McAvoy out there and hope he gets better. I don't mind Krejci as I think he's one of the best forwards at playing defence (or was) (not defence in a Bergeron way but as an actual defenceman) as his understanding of angles and his backwards skating is (was) right up there.

Long post but have thought about that 5th guy quite a few times and still don't know.
I agree with your assessment across the board, but I would like to see Clifton tried at the point before we decide that he can't do it. Somethings gotta five with this PP. So far I see too much throwing it around trying to find a hole or seam, killing time. The points aren't a threat and Pasta wants to "one-time" it most of the time.
From what I've seen, and it's been a limited viewing, Clifton has a good slapshot and is pretty straightforward in his approach. IMO it would hurt nothing to give him a chance. In the past, when Butch tried Pasta on the point, it turned out to be a disaster with the plan going the other way and a scoring threat against would ensue, so that didn't work. The one thing Reilly had was a decent shot from the point, but I don't know if Monty tried him there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad