GDT: Game #29 • "House of Horrors" • Oilers @ Wild • Dec 12 2022 • 6:00 PM • SN1/CHED

Most annoying team to play against in the last few years?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I chose Minni as they stifle the life and fluidity out of the game.

I'd personally like to see Kostin play on the 2nd line. I think his talents will be wasted if kept on the 4th line.

Kostin.Nuge.Yamo

After Kane is back drop him to the 3rd.
The 4th line is finally productive and isn’t a constant liability and everyone rushes to break it up.

You need good depth to be a good team. This obsession with continually just trying to throw every player that is playing the best into the top 6 is ridiculous. Sure if things start not looking good shake up the lines but can we not just go “this 4th liner looks good in the 4th line, let’s take that and throw it into the already productive top 6 and then complain that the bottom 6 isn’t doing anything”

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't know about that. Throw a guy to the wolves when he hadn't played any game anywhere in a calendar month nor had he played any games vs. an NHL team in almost 4 months and no games vs. NHL playoff caliber team in 6 months. Could have been a disaster pissing off your leadership if he shits the bed and making them trust him less next year beyond just the drop kick in nuts of his confidence.

Sure there's the good scenario where all of the sudden he goes nuclear and leads them to some wins, but I think the bad side would have been more damaging to him and the team in the long run.
I really thought Woodcroft should've started Koskinen in game 4 as there was nothing to lose at that point.

Reactions: Dieseloil and bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I really thought Woodcroft should've started Koskinen in game 4 as there was nothing to lose at that point.
I would have been fine with that, just didn't see Skinner being a realistic choice at the time.

Wonder how much the contract he had already signed out of the NHL was a factor particularly when his relief performance vs. Calgary wasn't anything special either.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
it is, and always will be, the Leafs for me. The undeserved arrogance of the Leafs fans and media is something I just can't stomach. They act like their team is the New England Patriots, Pats fans were pretty arrogant for a decade plus, but they kinda had a good reason to be, they kept winning. The Leafs haven't even seen the 2nd round in 20 years ,or even a Stanley Cup finals appearance since 1967, let alone actually won anything.

The complete lack of self awareness of what a sad franchise the Leafs have been for the past 55 years is astounding. Yet, every year is "their year" and every kinda good Leafs player is the best thing since *insert former mediocre yet ridiculously overrated Leafs player here*

Even Marner's points streak, while impressive, is really not when you think relative to the fact that the Leafs have been around for over 100 years. It's actually quite sad that the record was only 18 games. But yet, you'd think he broke Gretzky's 51 game streak with the hype from the media and fans....god, what a gross franchise and fan base.

Oh ya, Minnesota can eat a bag of dicks too...

I like the cut of your jib

Reactions: Juxta Position

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Holloway-McDavid-Draisaitl
Kostin-RNH-Hyman
Janmark-Hamblin-Puljujarvi
Shore-Ryan-Yamamoto

Fix this shit. Janmark shouldn't be anywhere near McDrai, RNH, or Hyman.

I’ve never understood why Draisaitl has never played any time at RW. He’s a sublime backhand passer and loves the one timer and shooting from that side.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
The only game where Colorado was significantly better than us was game 2. Game 1 was a bit of a muddled mess and you could say Colorado let their foot off the gas, but Mike Smith was still poor. Same with games 3 and especially 4.

Colorado was the better team but Mike Smith couldn't give his team any big saves.
Not to beat a dead horse but Smith was absolute shite in that series, followed closely by Nurse, Bouchard and even Duncan Keith.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I’ve never understood why Draisaitl has never played any time at RW. He’s a sublime backhand passer and loves the one timer and shooting from that side.

He played right wing in the playoffs last season when we stacked him on a line with Connor and Kane. I think he was mostly a RW back in 2017 when he played with Connor and Maroon as well.

Reactions: Duke74 and bone

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
It's not like Smith was even that great during the Calgary series, Markstrom was just worse.

And yeah the Avs definitely exposed our back end.
The whole Smith is a warrior thing never jived with me, ya that first game against the Flamingos was a horror story.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The whole Smith is a warrior thing never jived with me, ya that first game against the Flamingos was a horror story.
That long range goal in game 4 could've changed the series if the Flames had won that game. Thankfully my boy RNH came through.

Smith got steadily worse as the playoffs went on, thankfully we will likely never see him again.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
b8c.jpg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Is it just me, or is the whole wording of this just so extremely off?

I think it's clear what it's trying to say, it's what it's actually saying that's throwing me off.

Doesn't jive with any metric I've looked at this year. And intuitively, it appears they still give a metric shit ton of Grade A scoring chances every game (though improved over the last 10 games or so). So unless everyone in the league is doing the same thing it doesn't compute with what I've been seeing or what the general verbal has been out there in advanced stats land.

That said looking at league wide save percentages this year perhaps everyone else has just gotten worse so Edmonton doesn't look as bad comparatively.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think it's clear what it's trying to say, it's what it's actually saying that's throwing me off.

Doesn't jive with any metric I've looked at this year. And intuitively, it appears they still give a metric shit ton of Grade A scoring chances every game (though improved over the last 10 games or so). So unless everyone in the league is doing the same thing it doesn't compute with what I've been seeing or what the general verbal has been out there in advanced stats land.

That said looking at league wide save percentages this year perhaps everyone else has just gotten worse so Edmonton doesn't look as bad comparatively.
Defense is bad around the league. I didn’t realize how bad until I started watching more games this year. There are only a handful of teams that play consistent defense. The number of major defensive breakdowns per period by teams is actually startling.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So we have 4 lines that have been working the last few games so your plan is to give Holloway far more minutes than he is prepared for and break up the bottom 2 lines that have finally been working cause reasons?

Some posters just hate certain players so much they just dgaf

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Defense is bad around the league. I didn’t realize how bad until I started watching more games this year. There are only a handful of teams that play consistent defense. The number of major defensive breakdowns per period by teams is actually startling.
There was a time( 2 years ago lol) when 20% powerplay and 3 goals per game was like top third of the league. Now it's bottom third. Even shots, 30 shots per game isn't what it once was.

Not sure if it's teams allowing all these younger guys play with a longer leash which is pressuring the d more or what.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
On another tweet from the same interview sounds like teams around the league have figured out ways to increase the number of really high danger chances by 41%. That big of a jump suggests to me that teams have also found ways to improve at creating the chances to break down teams because that can't be all attributed to teams suddenly forgetting how to play defense.

It's interesting to see, so maybe the team actually has improved at preventing the manufactured chances against but teams have improved so much at creating them we don't see the improvement, but in the meantime have started to catch up to the rest of the teams.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
On another tweet from the same interview sounds like teams around the league have figured out ways to increase the number of really high danger chances by 41%. That big of a jump suggests to me that teams have also found ways to improve at creating the chances to break down teams because that can't be all attributed to teams suddenly forgetting how to play defense.

It's interesting to see, so maybe the team actually has improved at preventing the manufactured chances against but teams have improved so much at creating them we don't see the improvement, but in the meantime have started to catch up to the rest of the teams.
I’ve said this before, but imo it’s a combination of cap restrictiveness causing teams to dress less quality defensemen, mediocre goaltending, and refs calling penalties inconsistently leading to teams playing no contact defense (or they end up on the PK anyway and give up Grade A chances there).

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
It's the new NHL. They finally solved the predictability/defensive reliability problem that has plagued hockey for decades. Games have looked close to what early 90s hockey looked like before goaltending equipment started to dominate the game, which was unsurprisingly one of the most popular eras of hockey in the US.

It's actually kind of interesting to see how slow people are to adapt too. The perception of what a good and bad goal is seems to be lagging behind quite a bit, especially for goaltenders that have a significantly harder job these days.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I’ve said this before, but imo it’s a combination of cap restrictiveness causing teams to dress less quality defensemen, mediocre goaltending, and refs calling penalties inconsistently leading to teams playing no contact defense (or they end up on the PK anyway and give up Grade A chances there).

And Edmonton's seems to be taking a higher number of defensive penalties than past years, so perhaps these tactics are leading to better 5 on 5 shot quality metrics against, but then our PK is so pathetic we're pissing away all of that benefit gained.

Will be curious to watch. In general, it really feels like most of this teams troubles stem from a poor PK right now, so it should be a top priority to try and get this PK on track.

Reactions: Biltmore and Cloned

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know that it makes sense. Wouldn't that mean there are a bunch of good d-men and goalies just sitting there looking for jobs?

Is it restrictiveness or just an overall lack of depth at those positions?

On the defensive side of things to me it seems teams are more and more trying to draft and develop those potential Makar's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad