GDT: Game #29 • "House of Horrors" • Oilers @ Wild • Dec 12 2022 • 6:00 PM • SN1/CHED

Most annoying team to play against in the last few years?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My thoughts as well. I’d give Campbell Preds and Ducks this week and basically let Skinner have everything else until the back to back at the end of December.

Kid is feeling it and it seems to be giving the team confidence as they are starting to slowly shape up in front of him.
It also takes pressure off of Campbell if the team is doing well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well I would say Colorado has been our worst opponent. They have beaten us 7X over the last 8GP including playoffs. Fortunately we didn't play them at all in calendar year 2020 or 2021.

The one game we beat them was more window dressing than anything. AV's resting for playoffs late last season and the Oilers wanting pts. AV's mop the floor with us all the time.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Well I would say Colorado has been our worst opponent. They have beaten us 7X over the last 8GP including playoffs. Fortunately we didn't play them at all in calendar year 2020 or 2021.

The one game we beat them was more window dressing than anything. AV's resting for playoffs late last season and the Oilers wanting pts. AV's mop the floor with us all the time.

Playoffs aside, we played the Avalanche really well in all three regular season games we played them in last year.

We were the better team in the loss in Colorado, but that one was essentially handed to the Avalanche by the worst officiating performance of the season. Then the other loss here was in a shootout despite the Oilers being the better team and facing Kuemper on a night where he was standing on his head.

By the time we played them in the playoffs we were beaten up and our goaltending cratered while they were healthy and clicking on all cylinders. Don't think we beat them last playoff with a healthy lineup, but it would have been much closer than a sweep. The bottom falling out of Nurse's game cost us a game pretty much all on its own.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Holloway-McDavid-Draisaitl
Kostin-RNH-Hyman
Janmark-Hamblin-Puljujarvi
Shore-Ryan-Yamamoto

Fix this shit. Janmark shouldn't be anywhere near McDrai, RNH, or Hyman.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Playoffs aside, we played the Avalanche really well in all three regular season games we played them in last year.

We were the better team in the loss in Colorado, but that one was essentially handed to the Avalanche by the worst officiating performance of the season. Then the other loss here was in a shootout despite the Oilers being the better team and facing Kuemper on a night where he was standing on his head.

By the time we played them in the playoffs we were beaten up and our goaltending cratered while they were healthy and clicking on all cylinders. Don't think we beat them last playoff with a healthy lineup, but it would have been much closer than a sweep. The bottom falling out of Nurse's game cost us a game pretty much all on its own.
The only W we had against Colorado in several years was end of last season when AV's had packed it in and didn't give a toss about the game. They then took us to the cleaners to W 4 games straight in playoff series and sweep us. The former Colorado team beats us any time they play us hard. The current team has lost some good players and we would fare better, or should, now. But I've found it most annoying playing Colorado and always expecting losses.

In anycase matches against AV's tend to be a situation where the Oilers take the AV's more seriously than the AV's take the Oilers, which is sad to say, but relative to where the teams are in terms of perceived contender status. I suspect McDrai pencil these games on their calendar more than the AV's do.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The only W we had against Colorado in several years was end of last season when AV's had packed it in and didn't give a toss about the game. They then took us to the cleaners to W 4 games straight in playoff series and sweep us. The former Colorado team beats us any time they play us hard. The current team has lost some good players and we would fare better, or should, now. But I've found it most annoying playing Colorado and always expecting losses.
The only game where Colorado was significantly better than us was game 2. Game 1 was a bit of a muddled mess and you could say Colorado let their foot off the gas, but Mike Smith was still poor. Same with games 3 and especially 4.

Colorado was the better team but Mike Smith couldn't give his team any big saves.

Reactions: Vagabond

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only game where Colorado was significantly better than us was game 2. Game 1 was a bit of a muddled mess and you could say Colorado let their foot off the gas, but Mike Smith was still poor. Same with games 3 and especially 4.

Colorado was the better team but Mike Smith couldn't give his team any big saves.
Not much is achieved in navel gazing the ins and outs of a 4 game sweep and saying we could have won this or that one. Fact is we lost all the games. Unfortunately there is no should, would, or could. One team advances, wins a cup, and the other gets swept. The collective scoreline in first 3GP in series is 16-8. None of them were even one goal games. Its standard issue for the team facing a sweep to mount a more serious effort in game 4 and particularly if game is played at home. So that the Oilers got game 4 to OT before getting beat.

Hockey ain't horseshoes and in the playoffs there are no participation pts. Win games or go home.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not much is achieved in navel gazing the ins and outs of a 4 game sweep and saying we could have won this or that one. Fact is we lost all the games. Unfortunately there is no should, would, or could. One team advances, wins a cup, and the other gets swept.

Hockey ain't horseshoes and in the playoffs there are no participation pts. Win games or go home.
Of course but there are still factors that lead to losses. I have no delusions about us winning that series, Colorado was a buzzsaw that wasn't going to be stopped.

I'm just saying it wasn't a series that felt like a sweep. A better goaltending performance and I feel like we could've at least made it to 5 or 6 games. But Colorado was far and away the best team in the league last year, and I wouldn't be shocked if they repeat this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Of course but there are still factors that lead to losses. I have no delusions about us winning that series, Colorado was a buzzsaw that wasn't going to be stopped.

I'm just saying it wasn't a series that felt like a sweep. A better goaltending performance and I feel like we could've at least made it to 5 or 6 games. But Colorado was far and away the best team in the league last year, and I wouldn't be shocked if they repeat this year.
It felt like a sweep. They almost always do. Nothing feels more like sweep than losing the pivotal game 2 by a 4-0 score and then proceeding to get mopped in game 3 at home.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It felt like a sweep. They almost always do. Nothing feels more like sweep than losing the pivotal game 2 by a 4-0 score and then proceeding to get mopped in game 3 at home.
Game 2 was definitely bad, but game 3 was at least close before Mike Smith let in a laugher. It was kind of a reverse of how games 2/3 went against the Flames.

I was watching game 4 with a friend and the Oilers were leading 3-1 in the third. Mike Smith gave the puck away and seconds later it was 3-2. I turned to my friend and said "Uh oh." I honestly wish Woodcroft would've started Koskinen in the deciding game but whatever, we weren't winning the series.

Colorado is a damn good team, just imagine a Cale Makar on this team...

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

In anycase matches against AV's tend to be a situation where the Oilers take the AV's more seriously than the AV's take the Oilers, which is sad to say, but relative to where the teams are in terms of perceived contender status. I suspect McDrai pencil these games on their calendar more than the AV's do.

This is a difficult one to really evaluate though in terms of a trend considering how COVID f'd with head to head scenarios. Sure last year had some circumstances in regular season but both teams earned 4 points in the three games. Did the Avs need those games as much as Edmonton, probably not, but that's all they have to evaluate by.

In the 2019-20 shutdown season, they were 1-1 including a 6-2 W and a 4-1 L and the year before becomes irrelevant as it was before Makar and the only Oilers left from the 18-19 team are McDrai, Nurse, RNH. and JP.

As such, really all we have to evaluate is the playoff series, but even there you could argue some circumstances.

Ultimately, the Avs were the best team in the NHL last year, so sure Edmonton "struggled" in the playoff series vs. them, but really no one had a major success against them either with them having one of the shortest playoff runs we've seen in a long time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is a difficult one to really evaluate though in terms of a trend considering how COVID f'd with head to head scenarios. Sure last year had some circumstances in regular season but both teams earned 4 points in the three games. Did the Avs need those games as much as Edmonton, probably not, but that's all they have to evaluate by.

In the 2019-20 shutdown season, they were 1-1 including a 6-2 W and a 4-1 L and the year before becomes irrelevant as it was before Makar and the only Oilers left from the 18-19 team are McDrai, Nurse, RNH. and JP.

As such, really all we have to evaluate is the playoff series, but even there you could argue some circumstances.

Ultimately, the Avs were the best team in the NHL last year, so sure Edmonton "struggled" in the playoff series vs. them, but really no one had a major success against them either with them having one of the shortest playoff runs we've seen in a long time.
I think what's scariest is that Colorado won the Cup with completely average goaltending. If they had a top tier goalie they might've lost 1 or 2 games max. Oh if only Kuemper didn't get hurt...

Reactions: bone

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I chose Minni as they stifle the life and fluidity out of the game.

I'd personally like to see Kostin play on the 2nd line. I think his talents will be wasted if kept on the 4th line.

Kostin.Nuge.Yamo

After Kane is back drop him to the 3rd.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think what's scariest is that Colorado won the Cup with completely average goaltending. If they had a top tier goalie they might've lost 1 or 2 games max. Oh if only Kuemper didn't get hurt...
Exactly, and further to the original point that we only beat them because they didn't care in the regular season games, well in that 5 week span that all three games happened, Colorado still went 11-4-1 and their opponents went 5-8-3. So we managed to snag 4 of the only 13 points anyone in the league could get out of them in that stretch.

So maybe they cared less, but they were still pretty dominant most of that stretch and already had their playoff reinforcements from trades.

In those 16 games they outscored teams 60-45. The three games vs. Edmonton they were outscored 8-9, so they went 52-36 in the other 13 games. They were still damn good even if "they didn't care" in those games.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Game 2 was definitely bad, but game 3 was at least close before Mike Smith let in a laugher. It was kind of a reverse of how games 2/3 went against the Flames.

I was watching game 4 with a friend and the Oilers were leading 3-1 in the third. Mike Smith gave the puck away and seconds later it was 3-2. I turned to my friend and said "Uh oh." I honestly wish Woodcroft would've started Koskinen in the deciding game but whatever, we weren't winning the series.

Colorado is a damn good team, just imagine a Cale Makar on this team...

I thought the Oilers should've won game 4. Just taking 1 game away from a powerhouse Avs Team would've been nice. Smith did look terrible that entire series.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
73a6v8.jpg

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I thought the Oilers should've won game 4. Just taking 1 game away from a powerhouse Avs Team would've been nice. Smith did look terrible that entire series.
Absolutely, Smith gave that game away. It wouldn't really have changed much in the grand scheme of things but the Oilers were in control and the Avs seemed content to beat us at home in game 5.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Ya I think he has an 0.880 save % lol

I wish they would have just chucked Skinner in there. It was a win-win even if he failed

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ya I think he has an 0.880 save % lol

I wish they would have just chucked Skinner in there. It was a win-win even if he failed

I don't know about that. Throw a guy to the wolves when he hadn't played any game anywhere in a calendar month nor had he played any games vs. an NHL team in almost 4 months and no games vs. NHL playoff caliber team in 6 months. Could have been a disaster pissing off your leadership if he shits the bed and making them trust him less next year beyond just the drop kick in nuts of his confidence.

Sure there's the good scenario where all of the sudden he goes nuclear and leads them to some wins, but I think the bad side would have been more damaging to him and the team in the long run.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holloway-McDavid-Draisaitl
Kostin-RNH-Hyman
Janmark-Hamblin-Puljujarvi
Shore-Ryan-Yamamoto

Fix this shit. Janmark shouldn't be anywhere near McDrai, RNH, or Hyman.
So we have 4 lines that have been working the last few games so your plan is to give Holloway far more minutes than he is prepared for and break up the bottom 2 lines that have finally been working cause reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad