GDT: Game 28: Red Wings at Blues 7:30 pm EST 12/12/23 (ESPN)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
To me, it matters not, you simply have Seider take shifts with the other guys to keep him on the ice more often. Same way they did with Lidstrom, or any team does with their top end defenceman, he played with a regular partner but always played way more cause he also had shifts with everyone else. I agree, lately Walman's defensive game has been a little off and he seems to be making more mistakes lately, but Chiarot is only playing ok and Petry really isn't playing well at all.

I mean even 38-39 year old Burns is close to Seider's average ice time this season. I get it is only Seider's 3rd season, but not sure why we always need to be so slow to move good players along in their careers. Good players are good players let them play.
Just saying what Fester does dude. He rarely splits pairs.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So I just got home, Copp got on the scoreboard by cycling backwards along the boards (as predicted), he gets a point, GWG, the Wings win, I go to sleep drunk and happy, lol.

I love Fabbri. I hate his knees.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
not sure why the Blues fired their coach -- when two of your former players are instrumental in a loss that seems to be more of a GM issue.

It's not like their GM has given that coach some sort of amazingly talented team -- the Blues are actually a lot like the Red Wings, solid all the way down but no huge stars.

Reactions: Snuggs

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
not sure why the Blues fired their coach -- when two of your former players are instrumental in a loss that seems to be more of a GM issue.

It's not like their GM has given that coach some sort of amazingly talented team -- the Blues are actually a lot like the Red Wings, solid all the way down but no huge stars.
I’d rather have Berube than Lalonde honestly.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That team has been trending down for a while

2018-19 .604 (won Stanley Cup after abysmal start=
2019-20 .664 (the SC carried very well until the corona stoppage, 1st rd exit)
------------
2020-21 .563 (swept out 4-0 at 1st playoff round)
2021-22 .665 (2nd round exit)
2022-23 .494 (out of the playoffs)
2023-24 .482

What was interesting, at season 2021-22 they had some historical franchise PP% (27.0%) record.

When David Perron did leave, that PP has fallen down from 2nd best --> 22nd best --> league 2nd worst. Just in 2 off-seasons.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
That team has been trending down for a while

2018-19 .604 (won Stanley Cup after abysmal start=
2019-20 .664 (the SC carried very well until the corona stoppage, 1st rd exit)
------------
2020-21 .563 (swept out 4-0 at 1st playoff round)
2021-22 .665 (2nd round exit)
2022-23 .494 (out of the playoffs)
2023-24 .482

What was interesting, at season 2021-22 they had some historical franchise PP% (27.0%) record.

When David Perron did leave, that PP has fallen down from 2nd best --> 22nd best --> league 2nd worst. Just in 2 off-seasons.
Downhill ever since Petro left and JayBo retired.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Has anyone been noticing veleno is playing a lot like larkin since he has been given more responsibilities? I started noticing it when he got first line minutes with larkin, then the past two games where he has been the center with kane and dbc. Not talking about his offensive output or anything, mainly speaking about his tenacity, speed, agility, and compete levels.

Yeah he is in a contract year that is make or break for him, but he is definitely a lot higher on the make side than the break side.

Reactions: saska sault

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Has anyone been noticing veleno is playing a lot like larkin since he has been given more responsibilities? I started noticing it when he got first line minutes with larkin, then the past two games where he has been the center with kane and dbc. Not talking about his offensive output or anything, mainly speaking about his tenacity, speed, agility, and compete levels.

Yeah he is in a contract year that is make or break for him, but he is definitely a lot higher on the make side than the break side.
Veleno is basically Dollar Tree Larkin. Good size and speed, high effort, he just doesn't have the same shot/skill/offensive IQ. I've liked his play this year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Veleno is basically Dollar Tree Larkin. Good size and speed, high effort, he just doesn't have the same shot/skill/offensive IQ. I've liked his play this year.
Basically this. Stylistically Veleno is the best guy to plug into Larkin's spot when he's out without having to rework everything. That and alliteratively Larkin Lite was right there for the taking...

Reactions: RRhoads

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
may or may not be true, but our team doesn't have half of them trying to leave it.
I mean doesn’t really matter in terms of evaluating how Markstrom would do here. After Seider, all of Andersson, Hanifin, and Weegar are better than all our D. Tanev is a good top 4 D as well. Calgary’s goalies aren’t exactly a strength.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009

Veleno is turning into a prime Helmer which I would be OK with. Probably flirt with 15-20 goals, fast, good pk and affordable contract.

Reactions: dj4aces

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Patrick kane continues to look unreal. He could have 5 goals right now if not for 4 posts. But even just the little things he does. He makes our powerplay so much more deadly looking.

Kane looks a lot better than I thought he would. I think the goals will come, he just has to find his aim again.

molah25

May 30, 2021
1702498367949.png

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
1702495626819.png

When he is on decent to good teams, he plays extremely well and has 3 vezina recognitions in top 10.

When he is on bad teams (the last two years and I don't count covid year for anyone) he does not play well. When you have hanifin, kadri, zadorov(then), lindholm express they don't like the outlook of the team and huberdeau is playing like ass (a usual defensive minded player) then you could see that markstrom doesn't really have support out there. Markstrom himself has been in trade talks because other teams are openly scouting their games for a goalie trade and vladar was on stage and another time markstrom was on stage where they won that game with like 10+ teams in attendance (don't think red wings were there).

So yes, he is having a down year so far and last year, but historically, he is actually a pretty good goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad