GDT: Game 28: Columbus at Washington | 12/11 7PM EST

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
so we're cool with comparing Foligno to Umberger then? :help:

That is not what we're doing. What is being said is guys like Umbie and Nash were hailed as the key guy on the Jackets only to have things not turn out that way in the long run. Is Foligno different? Of course, its always different until it isn't.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That is not what we're doing. What is being said is guys like Umbie and Nash were hailed as the key guy on the Jackets only to have things not turn out that way in the long run. Is Foligno different? Of course, its always different until it isn't.

The key differences is we have guys like Jenner and Dubinsky on this team, when we really didn't have any comparables in seasons past

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
and today is Thursday. :help:

Are you trying to say that it's irrelevant?! Because those guys were known to be apart of the clubhouse mentality, where as guys like Jenner and Dubinsky bring intensity and drive that damn near nobody in franchise history has had

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Are you trying to say that it's irrelevant?! Because those guys were known to be apart of the clubhouse mentality, where as guys like Jenner and Dubinsky bring intensity and drive that damn near nobody in franchise history has had

What I am saying is that your comment didn't have anything to do with what was being discussed. Nobody was comparing anyone to anyone, what was being compared was the tendency to jump a player to hero status based on a short window of time only to see the herd mentality shift down the road.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
As the cliche goes, good teams find a way to win. The Jackets were badly outplayed, for I'd say roughly 45 minutes of this game, but fortunately, the Vezina Bob showed up.
You could also tell the confidence is back with this team. A few weeks ago, with how poor they played, they would have lost this game no doubt, but as another cliche goes, 90% of the game is mental. Although the Jackets were outplayed, they didn't let that get to them. That was an awesome win. I honestly couldn't believe the Jackets got it done in OT with how poor the PP in overtime started. Almost gave up a SH goal, but Bob bailed us out.

Props to the PK as well. When the Caps get a PP, it seems they control it in the offensive zone for the entirety of it, but the Jackets, particularly Savard and Johnson, did an amazing job of taking away cross-crease passes the Caps like to try to execute, and Bobrovsky was excellent on stopping the one-timers on their PP, and allowed absolutely no rebounds.

Also, I didn't know Foligno had those kind of shots in him. He really needs to shoot the puck more. Those were rockets. I always thought he was a Hartnell type player, who got his goals in the blue paint, but with all the injuries we've had, Foligno has shown his worth. He does everything. I'm honestly starting to think he should be at the all-star game. The guy has just beasted so far this season.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
As the cliche goes, good teams find a way to win. The Jackets were badly outplayed, for I'd say roughly 45 minutes of this game, but fortunately, the Vezina Bob showed up.
You could also tell the confidence is back with this team. A few weeks ago, with how poor they played, they would have lost this game no doubt, but as another cliche goes, 90% of the game is mental. Although the Jackets were outplayed, they didn't let that get to them. That was an awesome win. I honestly couldn't believe the Jackets got it done in OT with how poor the PP in overtime started. Almost gave up a SH goal, but Bob bailed us out.

You take the stupid penalties away that resulted in their PP's and I think we have much smaller time of possession and shots on goal differential.

But I agree, we were outplayed, but Bob was LARGE again for this team. No doubt, we are seeing Vezina Bob right now, but we have to start winning games outright, rather than in OT with outstanding goaltending.

2 points, 5 in a row, this team is starting to believe and we all know what that can mean.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Also, I didn't know Foligno had those kind of shots in him. He really needs to shoot the puck more. Those were rockets. I always thought he was a Hartnell type player, who got his goals in the blue paint, but with all the injuries we've had, Foligno has shown his worth. He does everything. I'm honestly starting to think he should be at the all-star game. The guy has just beasted so far this season.

Yes, he and Bob are the most deserving Jackets for the all-star game.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
As the cliche goes, good teams find a way to win. The Jackets were badly outplayed, for I'd say roughly 45 minutes of this game, but fortunately, the Vezina Bob showed up...

From today's Dispatch:

“There were a couple shots Ovi took, those are goals most nights,†Capitals coach Barry Trotz said. “Against the best in the business, Bobrovsky, they weren’t. He was pretty tight tonight.â€

Ohhh, yessss!

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
From today's Dispatch:

“There were a couple shots Ovi took, those are goals most nights,†Capitals coach Barry Trotz said. “Against the best in the business, Bobrovsky, they weren’t. He was pretty tight tonight.â€

Ohhh, yessss!

Much deserved recognition for our Bobby :nod: Maybe he adds a 2nd Vezina to his trophy collection by the time all is said and done? ;)

thebus2288*

Question, is this "hero status" anything like our QB putting up 50 points last year?

I think it's hilarious that his time here, "healthy" or not, Horton has NEVER looked better than Foligno or even equal. And yet even up to the day we we're told he probably wouldn't be playing ever again, pretty much ALL of you had him penciled in on the "1st" line with Johansen. Why? Is reality perception or perception reality? Foligno has been our 2nd or 3rd most important player(best winger) for 2+ seasons. He's been given more ice time(PP time) and been looked at more for offense because of injuries, THATS IT. And he's been capitalizing on chances that for whatever random reason didn't go in in the past. Minutes don't come because of points, points come because of minutes.(See:Wiz's 13/14 PP TOI)

And I just wanna say I thought we were talking about Prospal with that riddle. The fact that "we" touted Umberger as such a leader of the team shows just how bad the team really was when it comes to both leadership and skill.

And to think, before he was traded(or asked for it) for Hartnell many of you thought he would "rebound" or were upset at the way Richards handled him in the playoffs. Dat net presence!! Many of you prolly wanted him on that top line with Horton and Johansen.

:shakehead

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I remember a time on here when it was dangerous to even insinuate that Umberger was only a 3rd line player.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I remember a time on here when it was dangerous to even insinuate that Umberger was only a 3rd line player.
:squint:
trouble.gif

;)

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
After three years of decline, he's more of a fourth-liner over there. These things happen.

* * *​

pat.gif
Viqsi you always find the best emoticons. Lol that one is probably my new favorite. And as Major said, pretty frightening. :laugh: especially knowing your setting-posters-on-fire capabilities. ;)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Question, is this "hero status" anything like our QB putting up 50 points last year?

I think it's hilarious that his time here, "healthy" or not, Horton has NEVER looked better than Foligno or even equal. And yet even up to the day we we're told he probably wouldn't be playing ever again, pretty much ALL of you had him penciled in on the "1st" line with Johansen. Why? Is reality perception or perception reality? Foligno has been our 2nd or 3rd most important player(best winger) for 2+ seasons. He's been given more ice time(PP time) and been looked at more for offense because of injuries, THATS IT. And he's been capitalizing on chances that for whatever random reason didn't go in in the past. Minutes don't come because of points, points come because of minutes.(See:Wiz's 13/14 PP TOI)

And I just wanna say I thought we were talking about Prospal with that riddle. The fact that "we" touted Umberger as such a leader of the team shows just how bad the team really was when it comes to both leadership and skill.

And to think, before he was traded(or asked for it) for Hartnell many of you thought he would "rebound" or were upset at the way Richards handled him in the playoffs. Dat net presence!! Many of you prolly wanted him on that top line with Horton and Johansen.

:shakehead

I'll listen to your meditations on "what comes first, minutes or points?" after you think harder on the meaning of the statistic "points per minute". Last year among big scoring defenders only Shea Weber had a higher points per powerplay minute than Wisniewski.

And Foligno's 5 on 5 points per minute is exactly the same this year as it was last year. Unchanged, at the top of the club. He's just killing it on the powerplay (where he was useless before), and getting more minutes at evens.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: