GDT: Game 28: Columbus at Washington | 12/11 7PM EST

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Love what Foligno is doing, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Once upon a time, there was a man who was the "Heart and Soul of Columbus". He had a really good season. And then...

I have no idea what this means, but by all means, what a perfect time to bring it up (whatever it is).

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Who stands in Nationwide in the goal crease?
SergBob GoaliePants!!!
Blue-clad, Russian, non-porous is he.
SergBob GoaliePants!!!
If the red lamp you wish to light up,
Wait until Todd starts McBackup.
SergBob GoaliePants.
SergBob GoaliePants,
Serg Bob GooooaliePaaaaaants!!!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
News to me. I don't ever remember him having a "really good season" or for that matter EVER being called "the heart and soul of Columbus"

I remember it. It was mostly the seasons he was first here, as in the playoff year and the year after. Then he got the contract extension. He was regarded as the captain around here for a while.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
News to me. I don't ever remember him having a "really good season" or for that matter EVER being called "the heart and soul of Columbus"
He was good in his first couple of years. At one point, some fans were willing to name him Captain. Think he started to show signs of slowing down right before he signed a new contract and went completely down hill when his contract kicked in.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
He was good in his first couple of years. At one point, some fans were willing to name him Captain. Think he started to show signs of slowing down right before he signed a new contract and went completely down hill when his contract kicked in.

This. He was almost a hero to some folks around the time of the soccer game incident. I won't say I considered him a hero but I was really high on him as a player back then. Hell I still like him but it's beyond obvious he's faded dramatically.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

This is how I remember it as well. RJ was a big fan favorite before he started to show signs he was done. One of the gritty heart and soul types that was seen as part of the solution rather than the problem.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Wish Johansen line had more time in the ozone, never felt like they had continuous pressure down there but we can't keep winning games like Toronto did last year. With that being said go jackets

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I feel like Rockhound from the movie "Armageddon".
" We're staying, we're going, we're staying, we're going, make up your mind!"

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
so we're cool with comparing Foligno to Umberger then? :help:

Not for me as they are different styles of play and have different emotional motivators. That said, The RJ of the first few years here would fit well on this team. His game really fell off the past couple of years as some players do, not something you can really predict.

I think we challenge for the cup over the next few years in front of Bob with

Talent: Johansen
Intensity: Dubinski
Work Ethic: Jenner
Joy: Foligno

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

I don't want to wade into the argument, but Umby was repeatedly referred to as the 'conscience' of the Jackets by Porty during the first playoff season. I believe that is what Vinny is referring to.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Love what Foligno is doing, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Once upon a time, there was a man who was the "Heart and Soul of Columbus". He had a really good season. And then...

He had three really good seasons, actually, and then started subsequent declining years of "bare minimum", "still on the bare minimum pace if it had been a full season", and "okay, yeah, he's not that guy anymore".

* * *​
It's one thing to be labeled the heart and soul of Columbus and another thing to display it. The guy you reference never showed the heart shown by Foligno.

How soon we forget.

* * *​

:eek:

Wow.

Wow.

Just... wow.

Seriously ****ing wow.

THREE YEARS this was going on and people have completely forgotten. I joked about it but never seriously believed it.

Wow.

:shakehead Wow.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. :facepalm:

THREE YEARS. :shakehead

major major

Feb 18, 2013
To me one of the most notable things about Foligno was always that he wasn't a big scorer, despite doing just about everything right. He did everything great, but didn't have the shot. As we all saw tonight, he has the shot. I don't know if its the new sticks or what but he's got it. He isn't going to keep a 20+ shooting %, and he probably isn't going to stay around the top 10 goal scorers, but its not hard to imagine him regularly getting ~30 goals, given the amount of chances he generates.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Imagine if we start playing well? The Caps had a better forecheck for long periods.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Imagine if we start playing well? The Caps had a better forecheck for long periods.

This. We really need to stop falling ass backwards into wins. If this team actually starts playing to it's potential and carrying the play instead of letting the opposition do so then we might have a legitimate threat on our hands.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Getting a 3-2 score type of vibe.. question is, will it be us with the two points? As long as we keep our penalty minutes down and don't give up two early goals like we did last time against them, I like our chances.

Well .. I did call it. (3-2)

But we also did have way too many damn penalties. Oh well, I'll take an ugly W any day of the week. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad