GDT: Game #27 -- Wed Mar 13, 2013 - Red Wings @ Flames - 9:30 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
wrong player to scratch

No kidding.

Honestly, who cares? He's only playing 9 minutes a night - it's not much of a loss at this time.

I think he should be playing more and Cleary or Abs should be scratched, but the reality is, he's not used much.

Hes not used much but its more of a send a message thing. Tootoo has produced some offense from the fourth line (not much but neither has anyone), goe out there and hustles every shift laying the body and hes also the only one who will try to spark the team with a fight. He lays his body on the line and youve got other guys who do pretty much nothing out there on the top line.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Wings win 3-1

Abby with a goal and an assist. Nyquist with 7 minutes of ice time. Wings will be leading 2-0 going into the third and Babcock will sit Nyquist because they are trying to sit on the lead.

RedWingsNow*

Tootoo is probably a player that you keep sharp by scratching him once in a while. He needs to agitate a little and play with immense energy to be an asset. Once he drops a little in intensity he doesn't do much, and he doesn't play special teams.

Good excuse Joe.

How would you keep Cleary or Abdelkader sharp?

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Abby still in the top 6 + Tootoo might be the odd man out= Babcock has lost his ****ing mind.

Seriously considering watching the Griffins game instead (hopefully Tats scores a Hatty just as a big **** you to Babs/Holland)

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Watch us score 1-2 goals tonight and hear Babcock complain about the lack of offense...all while he places a young offensive dynamo on a checking line so that his Pet Plug can play with our star.

crashman

Good excuse Joe.

How would you keep Cleary or Abdelkader sharp?

I was disappointed to see Tootoo is scratched at first, but come to think of it, he hasn't done much lately. But your point about Abby and Cleary stands, it's just that Babcock loves those two for some unknown reason.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I was disappointed to see Tootoo is scratched at first, but come to think of it, he hasn't done much lately. But your point about Abby and Cleary stands, it's just that Babcock loves those two for some unknown reason.

If "not done much lately" is the reason for scratching players, why is Abby still up? Pretty sure he has the lowest points of any of our forwards, despite significant TOI, playing with Pavel and on the PP. And his lone goal this season was an EN. Whereas guys like Andersson, Miller, Tootoo, Tatar, all have more points and goals and with less games/chances/time.

That's the point. The point is not that Tootoo is some all star that needs to be in the lineup. It's that it makes no sense to scratch him before some other severely underperforming players on the team.

RedWingsNow*

CLEARY - 4 ESP, -4, 28 hits, 329 Even Strength Minutes,
ABS - 2 ESP, -3. 60 hits, 320 even strength minutes
TOOTOO -- 4 ESP, +2. 48 hits, 242 even strength minutes

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think it's more likely that Tootoo is a bit dinged up, and no one's talking about it. Small guy playing a big game usually equals an injury or two throughout a season.

I initially wanted to complain about Tatar not being up, but then realized they were probably banking harder that we thought on Flip playing.

edit: just realized Flip is in the lineup. Yeah, no idea what they're doing.

Last edited:

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas
Abby has been pretty good in front of the net and on the boards the last few games. Cleary, well I can't explain Cleary, but he WAS better the last two games. 3rd line is about where he belongs.

Tootoo has just been getting random penalties lately. It's not going to kill us for him to sit a game or two. Bringing up statistics like Tootoo has more 'offensive' ability than Abby - 2 points vs. 4 points - is pointless. They both suck offensively, but Abby is definitely the better grinder so far this year. And I'll take 17 PIMs over 62 PIMs, thanks.

crashman

CLEARY - 4 ESP, -4, 28 hits, 329 Even Strength Minutes,
ABS - 2 ESP, -3. 60 hits, 320 even strength minutes
TOOTOO -- 4 ESP, +2. 48 hits, 242 even strength minutes

If "not done much lately" is the reason for scratching players, why is Abby still up? Pretty sure he has the lowest points of any of our forwards, despite significant TOI, playing with Pavel and on the PP. And his lone goal this season was an EN. Whereas guys like Andersson, Miller, Tootoo, Tatar, all have more points and goals and with less games/chances/time.

That's the point. The point is not that Tootoo is some all star that needs to be in the lineup. It's that it makes no sense to scratch him before some other severely underperforming players on the team.

I agree, but benching Tootoo isn't the most perplexing decision they've made lately. The Cleary/Abdelkader debacle blows my mind.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
So Holland says they only want to bring up Nyquist if he is gonna be in the top six, so he finally gets a call up and Babcock puts him on the third line, Babcock says he will take a few shifts with Datsyuk, but we all know that means one shift and when he doesn't score he goes back down to playing 8 minutes on the "third line".

Also how is a line considered a third line if they are on the ice less then the 4th line.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I've officially given up on Babcock.

I don't recall the last time I've felt so disgusted by our coaching. Not even Dave Lewis hit this point for me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad