GDT: Game #27 -- Wed Mar 13, 2013 - Red Wings @ Flames - 9:30 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way only cares about wife, money, and hobby. I would offer the fact he does care about his job and other people given some of the things he has done over the years, but even those first three aren't exactly surprising and makes him a normal human being. :laugh:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Further evidence of Zetterberg's love for money is that he was really into the CBA negotiation, was really negative about it the whole time, even after it was settled he whined about "the owners got everything, our terms got a lot worse WHINE WHINE WHINE", and is still to this day "butthurt".

You still make millions of dollars, shut up.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Further evidence of Zetterberg's love for money is that he was really into the CBA negotiation, was really negative about it the whole time, even after it was settled he whined about "the owners got everything, our terms got a lot worse WHINE WHINE WHINE", and is still to this day "butthurt".

You still make millions of dollars, shut up.

Is there anything associated with the Wings that you do like?

lkleung007

Jun 11, 2012
I believe if Howard was in net, we would have won a point or 2. But we struggle on the road.
Kind of strange we lose to the Jackets and Flames.

Are you kidding me...we would not have done any better with Howard in net. I watched the whole game and you can not go by stats alone. Yes, we dominated most of the game and got more shots on goal...but the majority of the shots were not in the "danger zones". The Flames had fewer shots but they were all in the middle of the ice and in the "danger zones".

Hell, the Flames scored their 1st goal on a breakaway...2nd goal Bowmeester walked in untouched...3rd goal Gustavsson had nobody watching his back as he has to play the shooter there and not let one in on his short side...4th and 5th goal were point blank shots in the middle of the ice...yes Gustavsson should've stopped at least one of those shots.

Do you really want to compare Gustavsson's performance to Howard's...I can make the arguement that Howard should have stopped both of the goals against Columbus. The shooters were farther out and Howard looked like he was not ready...especially the 2nd goal.

As fans we want to blame the goalie first...how can anyone compare Howard to Gustavsson at this point of the season. Gustavsson was out a month with a groin injury and this was his 3rd start of the year!! Howard has started more than 20 games and I expect him to be the sharper of the two regardless of ability. It is just ignorant and unfair to think that a backup can be outplay a starter for any team.

I have no problems with what Gustavsson has done so far as the backup...give the man a few more starts (like 10) and reassess. I remember how well Howard did in his 1st game this year with all the defensive breakdowns...at best we would have lost 3-2 to the Flames last night. Heck, Gustavsson made a great save on the breakaway and penalty shot in the 3rd period...despite being down 5-2 Gustavsson never gave up on the team and I liked his "fire" when he skated off slapping his stick on the boards.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Are you kidding me...we would not have done any better with Howard in net. I watched the whole game and you can not go by stats alone. Yes, we dominated most of the game and got more shots on goal...but the majority of the shots were not in the "danger zones". The Flames had fewer shots but they were all in the middle of the ice and in the "danger zones"....

I think we're in the minority but I completely agree. As this game quickly got away from us I never once questioned Monster. In fact after the game he was almost crying! He obviously cares a lot and his quality penalty shot save stands out in my memory.

Some of the posts criticizing Datsyuk are downright ludicrous. Pavel is night in and night out the best player on the ice. Our "first star" criteria is childish compared to how unbelievable Dats is every game. How he can complete pass after pass under extreme pressure is mindblowing. 4/5 times he makes a play to at least keep possession. Wednesday was as good a game I've ever seen him have. The quick turn ups, stickhandling, creative attempts...at one point he took off racing I've never seen him explode with such speed. Without Pavel it would be hard to imagine what this team would be.

Now Zetter...that's a different story. Sadly I think as he goes the Wings go. He seems drained. Descent but not dominating like we've seen for so many years. I worry about his back. I agree with the earlier comment that he overplayed himself during the lockout. I wouldn't mind if he sat out and rested himself a few games.

Another positive, I agree with Redmond, Fil didn't miss a beat coming back. There are times he appears so elite it seems anything is possible. Man it would be terrific if he could take over games like I know he (and Franzen) could.

Kindl is a rockstar! Played a STRONG game besides the unlucky bounce of his skate into our net (when Lashoff fell at the red line).

Nyquist was pretty invisible. Yea I know TOI etc. but Tatar in his limited opportunity rocked it. Hoping Gus can makes waves next game. After 18 games last year and a few this season, is it possible he can't translate his success to the NHL? Or how long could we expect it to take for him to truly stand out?

lkleung007

Jun 11, 2012
I think we're in the minority but I completely agree. As this game quickly got away from us I never once questioned Monster. In fact after the game he was almost crying! He obviously cares a lot and his quality penalty shot save stands out in my memory.

Some of the posts criticizing Datsyuk are downright ludicrous. Pavel is night in and night out the best player on the ice. Our "first star" criteria is childish compared to how unbelievable Dats is every game. How he can complete pass after pass under extreme pressure is mindblowing. 4/5 times he makes a play to at least keep possession. Wednesday was as good a game I've ever seen him have. The quick turn ups, stickhandling, creative attempts...at one point he took off racing I've never seen him explode with such speed. Without Pavel it would be hard to imagine what this team would be.

Now Zetter...that's a different story. Sadly I think as he goes the Wings go. He seems drained. Descent but not dominating like we've seen for so many years. I worry about his back. I agree with the earlier comment that he overplayed himself during the lockout. I wouldn't mind if he sat out and rested himself a few games.

Another positive, I agree with Redmond, Fil didn't miss a beat coming back. There are times he appears so elite it seems anything is possible. Man it would be terrific if he could take over games like I know he (and Franzen) could.

Kindl is a rockstar! Played a STRONG game besides the unlucky bounce of his skate into our net (when Lashoff fell at the red line).

Nyquist was pretty invisible. Yea I know TOI etc. but Tatar in his limited opportunity rocked it. Hoping Gus can makes waves next game. After 18 games last year and a few this season, is it possible he can't translate his success to the NHL? Or how long could we expect it to take for him to truly stand out?

I'm glad I am not alone in my assessment...Gustavsson is a goalie who never gives up on a shot...his competitiveness is obvious...after the defense abandoned him and giving up 5 goals, it would have been easy to "mail it in" on the penalty shot too but he didn't!! Hell I would have bet the bank that the Flames would score again.

I do think that Holland made a smart move picking up Gustavsson...he played behind a Leafs team that was abysmal and left him out to dry many nights...his stats were decent with all things considered. It's a shame that Gustavsson had the groin injury to start the year and it really put him behind...but I believe that he is a quality goaltender that can be "the monster" if given the chance to string a few starts together...that will be hard playing behind Howard.

But that being said, the defense has to play better in front of their goalie no matter who you are...Gustavsson, Howard, Rinne, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad