Post-Game Talk: GAME 27 - Newark 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
to be honest. how much do you think we could sign Kessel for?
He would actually help the team I think. And he can still shoot.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Just get
Agreed, there is so much that goes into winning a Stanley Cup.
Any playoff team who gets great goaltending and avoids major injuries has a legit shot. Yes the Bruins as constructed don't have the physical presence some feel is required, but if that was the sole factor why do skilled teams win the cup .
just get there healthy. As we saw last year there are no guarantees of playoff success. Its a whole new game.

Reactions: TobanWest

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
On the positive side it's great they pulled out a point with all the injuries and sickness. Quite impressive, just like their goaltending. Geekie was great last night. Hope he keeps going.
On the negative side Debrusk is a ghost and Gryz is over payed for what he brings. He skates well and can pass. But his next contract will be over 4 and needs to go. Debrusk, Gryz and unfortunately one of the goalies should/will be gone this season or the off season. I couldn't be happier except to lose a goalie.
The sky is not falling and no everyone shouldn't be traded but some upgrades are needed for a deep playoff run and I'm sure Sweeney has a plan. Add a Hanifin if they can, some depth and someone who loves to hit would be great.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
They really haven’t been playing well for the last 10 games or more ,very little offence other than Marchand and Pasta ,they got off to a great start so they have breathing room in standing,but will playing around .500 hockey hold up .

3-1 before this one?

Reactions: lopey

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
gotta trade a goalie.
debrusk and gryz too
The whole two number one goalies thing is so asinine I can barely comprehend it. On top of how idiotic it is in theory, we SAW IT PLAY OUT IN REALITY LAST SPRING AGAINST THE PANTHERS. You don't rotate goalies in the playoffs when it actually matters. Hurry up and trade Ullmark already.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The whole two number one goalies thing is so asinine I can barely comprehend it. On top of how idiotic it is in theory, we SAW IT PLAY OUT IN REALITY LAST SPRING AGAINST THE PANTHERS. You don't rotate goalies in the playoffs when it actually matters. Hurry up and trade Ullmark already.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. I don't like the idea of rotating goaltenders in the playoffs. If you start Ullmark and he gets a 35 save shutout, do you go to Swayman next game?

It's f***ing stupid.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Do people really expect this team to go 82 games without some rough patches .

Realistically they're doing better than most expected given the losses in personnel .
I'd rather some adversity now rather than cruising all year long only to falter in the playoffs like last year.

Reactions: hrdpuk

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Yeah, I prefer that to them looking for shit to call.
I’d prefer they call obvious penalties when they occur right in front of their eyes. Set standards and maintain them.

Matt Grzelcyk:

GP: 17
G: 1
A: 0
PTS: 1

Help me understand what he's bringing to this squad.
Need more from him for sure. He’s been a shadow. Lindholm as well.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Was happy I got to catch a full game for the first time in a while.

First off, I have no idea what people are talking about with the refereeing. It was inconsequential to me. They didn’t deserve any more than they got in that department.

Secondly, and I don’t say this as a “complaint”, but more as what I feel is an acknowledgement of current reality.

I think it’s a mid-level team. Yes, yes, I know they are at the top of the standings. But there is no aspect of this team (outside of goaltending) that really looks to be an upper echelon performer. I am not impressed with their ability to move the puck out of their own end (haven’t been all year). I am not impressed with the puck movement through the neutral zone. Not impressed with physicality. Not impressed with the effort of some players (we all fall victim to our own biases I understand, but to me Jake DeBrusk’s nightly effort is as bad as it’s ever been).

And honestly, I think that is just what this team is. It’s what many expected coming into the year and I think it’s what we are seeing now. Many teams have more talent. And the coaching, for me, has raised some serious eyebrows. It's just not a combo that I can see bringing them very far.

They have 2 #1D, 2 #1G, and an elite winger as the core of what makes them win games. Its not just goaltending.

Marchand and Carlo are also "above average" for where they slot into the roster.

But, the rest of the roster is mid at best for the roles they are slotted into.

They went into the season needing to see what they had in the kids and regroup with a hard cap situation with the bonus overages.

To be successful, they had to kick ass against the soft schedule at the beginning of the year, and then try to win a lot of tight low scoring games.

They are breaking in kids. They are winning games with defense and goaltending. They are really checking off all the checkboxes a realistic fan had going into the season.

So it's natural to want to change the goals mid-stream here. But, their ceiling is limited without some additions to the roster. And it's not that time of year, yet.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
They have 2 #1D, 2 #1G, and an elite winger as the core of what makes them win games. Its not just goaltending.

Marchand and Carlo are also "above average" for where they slot into the roster.

But, the rest of the roster is mid at best for the roles they are slotted into.

They went into the season needing to see what they had in the kids and regroup with a hard cap situation with the bonus overages.

To be successful, they had to kick ass against the soft schedule at the beginning of the year, and then try to win a lot of tight low scoring games.

They are breaking in kids. They are winning games with defense and goaltending. They are really checking off all the checkboxes a realistic fan had going into the season.

So it's natural to want to change the goals mid-stream here. But, their ceiling is limited without some additions to the roster. And it's not that time of year, yet.
sddefault.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. I don't like the idea of rotating goaltenders in the playoffs. If you start Ullmark and he gets a 35 save shutout, do you go to Swayman next game?

It's f***ing stupid.
Yes. Yes i do. It’s exactly what got them there, don’t f*** with it.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad