GDT: Game #27: Coyotes @ Sabres - 5:00pm (AZ) - Butt Goal Anniversay Edition

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The problem is not Logan Cooley.

The problem is that Stecher and Brown should be in the AHL full time in place of Kesselring and Kolyachonok.

Another problem is how are we going to shed Vejmelka’s $3M contract because he sucks. Armstrong’s biggest mistake. I’d like to see a buyout this summer.
Most knew our D was going to be our weak spot this year, so we just have to grin and bear it, I guess. Veggie always has had consistency problems. I think he will start to play better. I don't see a buyout.

Reactions: Howling Overseas

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
The problem is not Logan Cooley.

The problem is that Stecher and Brown should be in the AHL full time in place of Kesselring and Kolyachonok.

Another problem is how are we going to shed Vejmelka’s $3M contract because he sucks. Armstrong’s biggest mistake. I’d like to see a buyout this summer.
Cooley is kind of a problem. Not the biggest one. Stetcher, Kelemen and Veggie are bigger problems, but Cooley is a problem.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I think Cooley is fine staying with the big club. I think he, like a few other guys on the team, are being used beyond his current ability due to the injuries to the team. He’s not bad, he’s just learning. He’ll get there.

Vejmelka was always inconsistent but previously you could always put him out there and he’d give the team a chance to win 70% of the time. He isn’t even giving them that right now. The defense sucking is frustrating but entirely expected. We all knew there was a lot of work to do before this team was gonna be ready for bigger things.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
All the better. I’d love to be rid of him. But Tucson would help him get his shit together. He is playing like Kuemper when he first came to Arizona. Sliding all over the place.

The other problem with Vejmelka sucking is it is making us overrun Ingram to the point where his game is going to fall off due to fatigue and with it the risk of injury will increase. At this time we don’t have a reliable backup.

I feel like McConnell and Nash were gaslighting us on Veggie; pumping him up to the fans. His career numbers are not even good enough for NHL backup.

1702397880749.png

Reactions: LittlePipes

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Cooley isn’t going anywhere based on Armstrong’s comments. He’s learning but he is never going to be much of a two-way guy. Besides he is on pace for about 50 points. Not many Coyotes rookies have had that type of production. And he’s still only 19. He still couldn’t even buy a beer at the Mullett for another 2 years.

Also, given the slide from Keller and Schmaltz since Hayton went down, that should silence any remaining criticism about Hayton’s effectiveness and his value to that line.

Not sure why Sanford got the call up over an actual centre like Jenik or Smith. Maybe we should start watching waivers for any sort of decent depth centre.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cooley isn’t a problem. Missing Hayton and McBain is.

Keller and Schmaltz haven’t been the same since Hayton went out and we lost a major grit element when McBain got hurt.
Keller and Schmaltz have been the same with or without Hayton. They are not producing 5v5, simple as that. Keller and Schmaltz are the worse +/- on the team. IF Hayton could or would play to at least last years level would help as that line produced last year 5v5.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Keller and Schmaltz have been the same with or without Hayton. They are not producing 5v5, simple as that. Keller and Schmaltz are the worse +/- on the team. IF Hayton could or would play to at least last years level would help as that line produced last year 5v5.

Does your stat reading tell you this???

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cooley isn’t going anywhere based on Armstrong’s comments. He’s learning but he is never going to be much of a two-way guy. Besides he is on pace for about 50 points. Not many Coyotes rookies have had that type of production. And he’s still only 19. He still couldn’t even buy a beer at the Mullett for another 2 years.

Also, given the slide from Keller and Schmaltz since Hayton went down, that should silence any remaining criticism about Hayton’s effectiveness and his value to that line.

Not sure why Sanford got the call up over an actual centre like Jenik or Smith. Maybe we should start watching waivers for any sort of decent depth centre.
Ok, maybe do a bit more research before making a statement about Keller and Schmaltz. Keller and Schmaltz, with Hayton in the line up were and still are pathetic 5v5. The only reason so many of you posters were happy was that our PP was clicking and those two were putting up points, and now the PP has gone into the tank you are taking notice. Even with Hayton and McBain back in we still lack talent at C. Quantity yes, talent no.

Does your stat reading tell you this???
Prove me wrong smart ass.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Cooley isn’t a problem. Missing Hayton and McBain is.

Keller and Schmaltz haven’t been the same since Hayton went out and we lost a major grit element when McBain got hurt.
This is what I was just going to say. Hayton and McBain being out for so long has thrown everyone out of their proper spots. They got away with it for a while but it’s starting to show in a big way. Even the loss of Boyd on top of that has hurt more than we think, because he could play C and was a decent stopgap and was playing alright. We are crippled down the middle right now and it’s tough to win like that.

Even if you concede Jakey’s point that with Hayton the top line was garbage 5v5, it still doesn’t change the fact that they were at least generating chances and o-zone time and just not converting…and doesn’t change the fact that it has thrown the whole lineup out of whack. We need those guys back in a hurry or the losses are going to rack up I’m afraid.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Sure wish we could improve our blue line, like, through a trade...
Seems like we have more than enough assets to make it happen...
agreed...our D is atrocious on paper...and sometimes even worse on the ice

But at least we've got guys coming that look to be really big improvements: Simashev, Lamoureux, Szuber, they all look really good.

on the outside looking in are: Kipkie/Langlois so we certainly have some depth as far as quality prospects. Our C prospect depth is Geekie, who will make it and Castagna who is on the outside looking in, that is it. So i'm alot more comfortable with the D situation than I am the C situation.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
our lack of C depth has hurt the organization for sure...we've got Geekie coming in, but I'm not convinced he starts out at C let alone stays at C.
I could see a 4th line sometime next season of Geekie McBain. Doan

agreed...our D is atrocious on paper...and sometimes even worse on the ice

But at least we've got guys coming that look to be really big improvements: Simashev, Lamoureux, Szuber, they all look really good.

on the outside looking in are: Kipkie/Langlois so we certainly have some depth as far as quality prospects. Our C prospect depth is Geekie, who will make it and Castagna who is on the outside looking in, that is it. So i'm alot more comfortable with the D situation than I am the C situation.
Cooley Hayton. McBain?
We do not have any Coyote blueliners signed for next season yet!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This is what I was just going to say. Hayton and McBain being out for so long has thrown everyone out of their proper spots. They got away with it for a while but it’s starting to show in a big way. Even the loss of Boyd on top of that has hurt more than we think, because he could play C and was a decent stopgap and was playing alright. We are crippled down the middle right now and it’s tough to win like that.

Even if you concede Jakey’s point that with Hayton the top line was garbage 5v5, it still doesn’t change the fact that they were at least generating chances and o-zone time and just not converting…and doesn’t change the fact that it has thrown the whole lineup out of whack. We need those guys back in a hurry or the losses are going to rack up I’m afraid.
Our problem is on D as a team and not just the back end or Veggie. Hayton helps solve part of that and so does McBain. 4 or more goals against is a recipe for losses. The first line was better on D with Hayton, this is why we see the +/- stat creeping up with Keller/Schmaltz. The first line has to first figure out how to play better D as a unit, and then second score a bit more. Cooley is a 19 year old rookie, primarily a scorer, his D play is poor, that is why he is down the line up now. With McBain and Hayton, it can help hide some players and their flaws on D, they get tougher assignments now and it shows.

This is up to Bear to figure out how to get the team D back closer to where it was during our 5 game win streak.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The D isn’t great, at all, but they’re at least workable for Ingram. I think that’s a combination of the team having no confidence in Vej and his overall poor play.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Ok, maybe do a bit more research before making a statement about Keller and Schmaltz. Keller and Schmaltz, with Hayton in the line up were and still are pathetic 5v5. The only reason so many of you posters were happy was that our PP was clicking and those two were putting up points, and now the PP has gone into the tank you are taking notice. Even with Hayton and McBain back in we still lack talent at C. Quantity yes, talent no.

PPs can be streaky. Just like everything else. Note though stat boy Hayton was on PP1, usually around the net creating havoc. Seen him lately??

Penguins have way more firepower than we do and their PP is currently clicking along at a whopping 9%.

Now analyze that.

Prove me wrong smart ass.

Why?? You prove yourself wrong just about every day. :laugh:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad