GDT: Game 26: Red Wings vs sens 7:00 pm et 12/9/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Hindsight is 20/20. Of course Perron's hit looks terrible now and just minutes after. But at time it all happened it's not all so clear. Humans are emotional.

Reactions: raymond23

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If I am Zub, sure I am pissed at Perron for hitting me in the head with a cross check for doing nothing wrong.

But he should also go into his own locker room and mention to Joesph, "Hey man, I just ate one because of you, think maybe you could keep things below the shoulders?"

This is similar to in baseball when a guy gets drilled in retallion to guys on the other team getting hit. Don't like it, go back to your pitchers and tell them to keep it over the plate.

Reactions: lgrws91 and renberg

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I was at the game.

I don't blame the guys for losing that one at all. Down to 9 forwards. Everyone in the building was shaken up. I still have some shakes from that. Really emotional night. Props to Fischer for dropping the gloves and Kane for giving us something to be happy about.

This is adversity. We will make it through. I love you all, lets go red wings

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Perron should get 3-5 games

I doubt Joseph gets anything but could see him getting 1-3 games. Remember Larkin got 1 for his sucker punch on Joseph 2 years ago. That was after Joseph cross checked him square in the numbers head first into the boards.

There is history here. Can't deny that.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Perron probably thought he would retaliate and get a minor by giving a hefty crosscheck to Zub's shoulder. Zub saw him coming and tried to deflect the crosscheck and it went high. Not that it should get Perron off the hook - play stupid games, win stupid prizes and all that. I just don't think Perron was aiming for the head.

Reactions: lgrws91

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
When is Joseph's hearing?

Oh I guess hitting someone in the head intentionally is only okay when they're in front of the net battling for the puck.

Or is it only okay when Larkin is the target.

Or is it only okay when it's in the back of the head.

Or is it only okay when the target is knocked unconscious.

f*** this, Perron is a hero, f*** the refs, and f*** anyone praising them for how they treat headshots in this league. They didn't get it right, they never get it right. If the league was serious about headshots, Larkin probably would have finished the game.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
The amount of people justifying Joseph’s hit on Larkin is making me lose my mind. I feel like I’m in Looney Toons land. Did Perron do a bad thing? Sure. But when all is said and done, who ended up lying motionless on the ice? That’s what actually happened here. Absolute insanity.

When is Joseph's hearing?

Oh I guess hitting someone in the head intentionally is only okay when they're in front of the net battling for the puck.

Or is it only okay when Larkin is the target.

Or is it only okay when it's in the back of the head.

Or is it only okay when the target is knocked unconscious.

f*** this, Perron is a hero, f*** the refs, and f*** anyone praising them for how they treat headshots in this league. They didn't get it right, they never get it right. If the league was serious about headshots, Larkin probably would have finished the game.

Yeah it’s really unfortunate that the Wings and Wings fans are taking the negative shots from others when our captain was face down motionless on the ice for over two minutes

Regardless of what was dirty and what was not, the discourse on the situation is really disheartening

I mean this is career-threatening stuff for the captain of the red wings and one of the better players in the league and all everyone wants to do is point fingers and argue

That’s the internet for you I guess. Maybe it doesn’t help that I was at the game because the entire building thought he was dead. Especially considering the Adam Johnson incident this year. I’m still shook from last night

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ok cupcake
oooh a keyboard warrior.

You're definitely tougher than me based on how you feel about watching a hockey game from your couch. Because that's the real sign of toughness.

Hindsight is 20/20. Of course Perron's hit looks terrible now and just minutes after. But at time it all happened it's not all so clear. Humans are emotional.

I have no problem with Perron being upset and even going after someone. But drop the gloves man. Don't just crosscheck someone in the head.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
He went after the wrong guy
I've said this before, and again OBVIOUSLY Perron's actions were wrong, but I still think part of his reaction was based on seeing Larkin down motionless on the ice, and Zub had been on top of him. Now I think Perron may have caused Zub to fall on him, but it is clearly in the video. I thought Larkin was potentially paralyzed when I watched it live.... Imagine what Perron thought. Wrong action, but I think there is a real reason he went after Zub. The wrong guy argument works best in hindsight, or from a couch with a beer in hand.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Ottawa fans are morons.

It seems to be mostly the same handful but man are they like the hemorrhoids of hboards. And last night was another flare up.

I get that there's a rivalry developing between these two teams but they have fans that will show up in the main forums GDT celebrating when the Wings lose against some random team. Obsessed much? Serious ex-girlfriend vibes.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
"Lemieux got the suckerpunches"

that's how...

and you compared Draper with a jaw wired shut and Suckering Kozlov blindside to the back of the head to Perron and said they were the same thing lol.

Perron could get 5 games and I would still say he did the right thing, he should get 2 just like Matthews, and we shall see.

I am just laughing at the fact that you said to blame Yzerman, who will probably buy Perron a beer and say you have a career here. Like I said Yzermans career was lined with Proby, and it wasn't because of his skill.

go watch the slow mo again... what does perron hit first, the shoulder or the head, if that cross check is an inch lower its a nothing story, its that simple. I honestly just want to hear more bout how Lemieux was the one who got the suckers and Yzerman should be blamed.... please go on.

and ill say this one last time... its a hockey game... there is NO SUCH THING AS AN INNOCENT BY STANDER, this isn't the corner from the Ice Cream shop... its a f***ing hockey game.... its pretty much the worst take possible when it comes to hockey... its 5 man units... live and die as a team... its not by standers,
If I remember right Kozlov had given a "dirty hit" out before the blindshot. That rivalry is not a great representation of what happened today, not that I believe that was your initial point. Shit was tit for tat back then, different era, clash of the titans type stuff. You ever re watch those games? I did not remember as a kid, but players were falling all over the place, Maltby was the KING pest. Honestly at times, it detracted from the flow of the game. Now again, that was the era, but I am not sure it was the right way to officiate a league.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I've said this before, and again OBVIOUSLY Perron's actions were wrong, but I still think part of his reaction was based on seeing Larkin down motionless on the ice, and Zub had been on top of him. Now I think Perron may have caused Zub to fall on him, but it is clearly in the video. I thought Larkin was potentially paralyzed when I watched it live.... Imagine what Perron thought. Wrong action, but I think there is a real reason he went after Zub. The wrong guy argument works best in hindsight, or from a couch with a beer in hand.
I don't doubt that at all.

Reactions: cvaicunas

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I was at the game.

I don't blame the guys for losing that one at all. Down to 9 forwards. Everyone in the building was shaken up. I still have some shakes from that. Really emotional night. Props to Fischer for dropping the gloves and Kane for giving us something to be happy about.

This is adversity. We will make it through. I love you all, lets go red wings

That's part of what was so frustrating last night. In isolation Perron's crosscheck stands out as vicious so people on the main boards kept focusing on that. But if you're a fan watching the game in real time, it looked like Larkin was dead or at least paralyzed. He wasn't just out cold, he was lying face down on the ice in a really awkward position. It looked like we had just witnessed a life changing injury.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

So, assuming we're going to have to bring up a griffin or two for this difficult stretch.

I knew he'd get a hearing, just as I knew Joseph wouldn't receive any punishment yet again for targeting a player's neck. But I didn't think Perron's punishment would be worthy of more than four games.

The fallout from the Perron incident is whatever, but Joseph should be receiving similar treatment by the league, and the "department of player safety" is an utter and complete farce for not doing so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad