Pre-Game Talk: Game #26 Dec. 3 Toronto @ Tampa

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yeah going in circles. I don’t believe they broke any rules like the Astros did
20M over the cap, keeping a healthy Kucherov on LTIR and activating him immediately after game 82, perfectly healthy for the playoffs. Yes there is no cap for the playoffs, but there is for regular season, and that's why they didn't activate him immediately or they'd have to waive players. Cap circumvention is against the rules, Devils were fined for it and lost a pick.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Cirelli is back.......nice

That guy absolutely shut down Matthews in Tampa during the playoffs last year. Great 2-way center
I agree with cirelli is a great two-way Center. However I don’t think he locked Matthews up. In fact no one shut Matthews down tbh that series.

it wasn’t like Boston where he finished most chances but didn’t dominate. And it also wasn’t like Montreal where he dominated and just choked every possible chance. Against tampa, matthews was the best player between both teams

7GP - 4G - 5A - 9P
Even strength metrics
CF% 57.5
CF%rel + 9.9
OIGF: 7 OIGA: 6
oISH%: 11.7

This was a case of depth scoring, and nylander tavares (personal opinion), and untimely defence breakdowns not doing enough. Matthews and Marner were very good in tampa, couldve they have scored more? Yes, but they were probably 1 and 2 in the series.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Damn you have a hard time following along eh

They cheated in 2021 to win a cup, they are a cheating organization.

They were badly outplayed and were given a lot help from the officiating to win in 2022

Are the Houston Astros cheaters because they cheated a few years ago ? Or do they lose that label because they played fairly after that ? Not that hard to understand.
Sorry - I have a hard time following illogic.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
20M over the cap, keeping a healthy Kucherov on LTIR and activating him immediately after game 82, perfectly healthy for the playoffs. Yes there is no cap for the playoffs, but there is for regular season, and that's why they didn't activate him immediately or they'd have to waive players. Cap circumvention is against the rules, Devils were fined for it and lost a pick.
So since Tampa wasn't fined, it obviously wasn't cap circumvention.

Wait a minute. Wasn't it Houston where JFK was shot, and they told everyone it was in Dallas to confuse it with who shot JR?

It suddenly all makes sense.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I agree with cirelli is a great two-way Center. However I don’t think he locked Matthews up. In fact no one shut Matthews down tbh that series.

it wasn’t like Boston where he finished most chances but didn’t dominate. And it also wasn’t like Montreal where he dominated and just choked every possible chance. Against tampa, matthews was the best player between both teams

7GP - 4G - 5A - 9P
Even strength metrics
CF% 57.5
CF%rel + 9.9

This was a case of depth scoring, and nylander tavares (personal opinion), and untimely defence breakdowns not doing enough. Matthews and Marner were very good in tampa, couldve they have scored more? Yes, but they were probably 1 and 2 in the series.
Looking more at the numbers you're probably right, shutdown is too strong. And I do agree Matthews was the best forward in the series. But his splits were pretty interesting:

In Toronto: 4 games: 3 goals - 4 assists - 7 points
In Tampa: 3 games: 1 goal - 1 assist - 2 points

The only game in Tampa I thought he dominated was game 6. IIRC game 3 the depth scoring carried us and game 4 was basically a route from the start

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

kb

Aug 28, 2009

7GP - 4G - 5A - 9P
Even strength metrics
CF% 57.5
CF%rel + 9.9

I dunno about lumping Nylander in with those not doing enough if that's what this is implying.

8G and 15 points in his last 14 playoff games over the previous 2 seasons.

For reference, Marner had 2G and 12 points in the same span, while Matthews had 5G and 14 points. Tavares had no offseason training at all prior to last season, and had 3G and 6 points in 7 games.

Kinda looks like Nylander's been stepping up from his regular season numbers.

Reactions: leafsfan5

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I dunno about lumping Nylander in with those not doing enough if that's what this is implying.

For reference, Marner had 2G and 12 points in the same span, while Matthews had 5G and 14 points. Tavares had no offseason training at all prior to last season, and had 3G and 6 points in 7 games.

Nylander has been our best playoff performer over the last 2 years, consistently stepping up and in big moments

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The team that cost me much of my interest in the game. Reading Coopers comments today on Sportnets site was interesting at best, wouldn't expect anything less when you win the series, be diplomatic because you were the victor, easy.

As I saw it, worst officiated series for a team trying to finally find their killer instinct and another blown series lead. It would be nice if Leafs could put one such "killer instinct" line together, champions need them in the playoffs, just a thought...

The disgusting, soft, prideless flopping that was rewarded, the 5-0 dominance in game 1 until the refs took the series over (and Keefe IMO bent with his lineup), the phantom high stick on the road up a goal in the 3rd, the "never-seen-before-call-in-a-game-7-playoff-series-interference-of-a-player-aay-from-the-puck-when-the-home-team-scores."

That series cost my interest for most of this season so far, though I'm trying to slowly ween myself back into weekday games when I have the time.

In short, Coopers team played like a squishy soccer team looking to draw yellow cards all game and getting them.

Play your game and win one for the Gipper against this plastic team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, so the NHL are aware of the rule. How did the NHL punish Tampa?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

Definitely not talking about him not doing enough over the last two years, but I think nylanders last years play could’ve been better. In game 1-3 he has absolutely no finish, and same thing with game 7, still remember the breakaway he got right after we tied it.

Tavares in general has yet to elevate his play in a series for us, he plays his role, whether it’s shutdown the opposition like Boston, or 2C likr the rest of the series’s, but personally I would want him to have the series you point and say without a doubt he was our best player. Each of the other three have that series.

And yea I know Tavares had a goal called back, but I thought their line was inconsistent in the series, not producing at the start of the series and I found that lines game 7 to be sort of underwhelming. Matthews and Marner gave us the equalizer, you’d hope the other two can piece together another goal.

But in general, I usually find that of our stars, max 2 play amazing, and 2 play mediocre-average at a time.

Depth scoring and goaltending/ untimely breakdowns are probably the key problems to our playoff failures, but the stars not producing at once is also a minor reason

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yes, so the NHL are aware of the rule. How did the NHL punish Tampa?
They did not, Tampa and Florida are barely staying afloat. Punishing them would just destroy what the NHL is trying to do, grow the game in areas like Florida/California

You can call it abusing a loophole, or exploiting a flawed rule. But simply put, it's cheating.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I think this game will be a bit much for our Marlies Defense. Going to be exposed by that bigger TB forecheck that third line could swing it for them.

Murray will have to be awesome tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad