GDT: Game 26: Columbus at Tampa Bay | 12/6 7PM EST

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Heck of a win. Joey should have put that empty-netter in... lazy attempt.

Wanted the shutout for Bob, but 2 points against TB makes a great weekend!

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
thoughts on RJ's game tonight....

I still didn't see the high energy Richards is trying everything He can think of to get RJ to raise his game to his expected level

sometimes you wonder if He is ice dancing or playing professional hockey

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Hopefully we are turning the corner. We doubled our chances to make the playoffs to 1.2%. Wohoo!

Oh we're terrible at scoring empty netters, that contributed to Bob losing the shutout.

Last edited:

Nicky1992

Jun 29, 2014
thoughts on RJ's game tonight....

I still didn't see the high energy Richards is trying everything He can think of to get RJ to raise his game to his expected level

sometimes you wonder if He is ice dancing or playing professional hockey

I'm thinking everyone would better off if Richards could accept that Joey is at his best when he's playing calmer and more collected, not when he's going crazy hard like when Calvert and Hartnell do their best work.

Also, I really don't understand what he's done to upset Richards so much-yes, he's cooled off a bit lately, but benching him and giving him less skilled wingers isn't going to help. I'd say its probably more likely to pi$$ him off enough to ask for a trade. I can't say I know of any players with his skill level who get treated the way he does by their coaches

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Also, I really don't understand what he's done to upset Richards so much-yes, he's cooled off a bit lately, but benching him and giving him less skilled wingers isn't going to help. I'd say its probably more likely to pi$$ him off enough to ask for a trade. I can't say I know of any players with his skill level who get treated the way he does by their coaches

Sounds more healthy situation than having star cult build around one fourth overall draft pick.

that was an incredible pass.....Hartnell has insight to the game you can't teach

I would say it's completely easy to teach someone to play possession-helping hockey but mastering it at Hartnell-level is a thing of beauty. Soviet Union's hockey teachings versus Canada's... Hextall, Berube, Sandstorm...

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Joey didn't have a great game but... He did go mano-a-mano with Stamkos and kept him off the scoresheet. He did better on face offs. Had changing line mates.

When he doesn't score, it's a disappointment, but I saw some positives too.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Joey didn't have a great game but... He did go mano-a-mano with Stamkos and kept him off the scoresheet. He did better on face offs. Had changing line mates.

When he doesn't score, it's a disappointment, but I saw some positives too.

Agree on the Stamkos and face offs points but the missed empty netter at the end was the exact lackadaisical effort that is troubling to see - didn't even take a good shot at it. Not that it truly mattered but still c'mon - easy point to your total.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Agree on the Stamkos and face offs points but the missed empty netter at the end was the exact lackadaisical effort that is troubling to see - didn't even take a good shot at it. Not that it truly mattered but still c'mon - easy point to your total.

Kind of hard to be outraged about the empty net - the other stuff is far more important. Curious where he was in his shift when that happened. Could simply be that he was out of gas, could be that he was indecisive about passing it ahead. Who knows.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
After the first period I missed the game, other sport stuff going on....

That said, winning this game vs one of the best teams in the NHL on their turf is outstanding.... Three wins in a row is significant, the boys are back!!!!

Win more for the fans CBJ players, the fans have earned it!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I noticed in the Panthers games that Joey's intensity had dropped to a new low. I know that when he is at his best he doesn't always look intense - but i am talking about something else. Like sleepwalking - being behind the play in both ends. Tonight I didn't notice that, so maybe Richards has given him a jolt.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I hate it when posters, even long term posters, suggest what mods should do..... They will do what should be done when the time is right....

My philosophy is I'm not going to tell the mods what they should do unless I'm willing to step up and volunteer to be one. The job is not as easy as it looks. So I keep my mouth shut. :D

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yes. I think the other teams have made adjustments.

True - he hasn't been as much of a scoring threat the last week or two.. but I'm wondering about his play away from the opponent's net. I think he's been just okay at board battles - which he usually dominates. And in our zone I have been noticing about a play per game where he's a bit off (against Florida he overhandled it badly and gave a big chance to the Panthers, tonight he missed an assignment that should have been obvious). That's nothing bad for most players, but Foligno is usually excellent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad