Post-Game Talk: Game #26: Canucks lose 3-2 to the Kings in overtime

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
We'll see at the halfway mark how we are. Playoffs aren't out of reach just yet. I think the floodgates will open when Burrows gets his first goal, whenever that is.

Interestingly enough, with the tenacity the guys are playing the top teams (dominating puck possession and shots), I'm VERY interested to see how Tort's system translates against the same opponent over a seven game series. The trick of course, is to get there first.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
He's not costing the team games and he's not winning the team games, which is what I expected.

I agree he's not stealing games for this team, but they have 9 goals in their last 7 losses.

He shouldn't be a point of discussion for very long here, the team isn't talented enough.

Mike Santorelli as our second line center? Come on. We all know better than that. Offensive support is a problem for this team in a major way.

Zack Kassian - wildly inconsistent, either nonexistent, or turning the puck over, or a blue moon goal. That's about it from Kassian.

David Booth - it's already been said, needs to be waived and sent down.

Chris Higgins - one of the streakiest players in the league. A bottom 6 guy (for his entire career) being expected to produce top 6 numbers with consistency, yeah, that'll work.

Ryan Kesler - with the Sedins, more dangerous but still streaky and a shoot first player. Without the Sedins, has absolutely no skill around him and is in DESPERATE need of a quick playmaking linemate to distribute the puck to him in space. Henrik is obviously one of the best playmakers in the league, but he does it off the cycle, where Kesler excels off the rush and with speed.

Jannik Hansen - See Chris Higgins with less offense.

Mike Santorelli - Hard working guy who I have ZERO problems with EXCEPT for the role he's being asked to fill, and that isn't his fault, it's managements.

Mike Gillis has failed again to get this team skill up front, it's been a problem ever since 2011 (the Boston series) and before that, when their Power Play was NHL calibre, it hid a lot of their 5 on 5 scoring issues, since then, with a minor league Power Play, they absolutely can't produce anything with consistency.

Unless Mike Gillis gets serious about improving this team with legitimate top 6 talent (don't ask me how, he's paid to do it and I know it's a tough job, not easy, trades are hard to make, there's a salary cap, and we don't have MANY assets) but hey, he contributed to making that a lot of that bed and he's held accountable for results.

Lundface*

I think it must be a mental thing at this point, **** it though I'm still watching the games and I refuse to give up on this team until the (possibly) bitter, disappointing end should they miss the post season.

Our captain still has some fight left in him, love the celly last night.

Canucks fo life *****es. What!

It's not even boring watching them, I enjoy watching the games. Give Lack some more time as well...Roberto isn't helping out the team, switch it up.

If Van makes the playoffs and their goalie can at least match the other teams I don't think Van is outmatched against any of the Western elite. Even as poor as the offence is, if they keep dominating other teams they are just average goaltending away from beating them.

yoss

May 25, 2011
It's not even boring watching them, I enjoy watching the games. Give Lack some more time as well...Roberto isn't helping out the team, switch it up.

If Van makes the playoffs and their goalie can at least match the other teams I don't think Van is outmatched against any of the Western elite. Even as poor as the offence is, if they keep dominating other teams they are just average goaltending away from beating them.

Yeah I agree. (Although I find games against the Kings boring in general more often than not so last night was for large portions).

Sometimes this season I wonder if Lu has mentally checked out, and if he has I wouldn't blame him after the long drawn out debacle he went through last season. I thought there was a save last night that could have been the one that stole the game, but then a minute later of course they tie it anyways.

Lundface*

Yeah I agree. (Although I find games against the Kings boring in general more often than not so last night was for large portions).

Sometimes this season I wonder if Lu has mentally checked out, and if he has I wouldn't blame him after the long drawn out debacle he went through last season. I thought there was a save last night that could have been the one that stole the game, but then a minute later of course they tie it anyways.

Might be true about him checking out never thought of that. Either way Lack needs to see a lot more of the net in the coming games.

And it wouldn't have been stealing the game, it would have been preserving the win. I can't remember the last game Vancouver needed their goalie to steal the game (maybe Lack when they were short staffed against STL) but even then Vancouver took it to them. Luongo hasn't been doing his job well enough..the coach thinks so, Luongo thinks so, sounds like the team is starting to think so (listen to Henriks last interview) but a few people here don't think so.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Anyone have a picture of Sedin holding his tooth?

If your lips cut guy gets 4, tooth knocked out? only 2

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
I'm a big Luongo fan but I'm an even bigger Canucks fan. Luongo simply has been average this season. We need more from him if we want to do well and we need even more from our offense.

And Tiranis has a point Arsmaster. I value both of your posts and opinions, but I have to agree with Tiranis here. It seems LA's goalies find a way to win these one goal games. Sure LA has scored exactly 2 goals more than the Canucks, but they're winning % in games where they score one goal is tremendously better than the Canucks. It's not even close.

And another point is that people aren't blaming these losses on solely Luongo, nobody has said that. Our offence obviously needs to be better, but losing our elite goaltending is obviously worrisome. I don't understand how anybody can rationally argue against this.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
No but here's a video if that helps

I was watching the LA feed and they speculated it might have been a replacement tooth, not a real one. I don't know for sure, but with the ease Daniel took it out and the lack of blood it's certainly a possibility, although I might be completely wrong.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
^ If it was hard enough to knock out a tooth, it should have been 4 anyway. Don't know what the refs are thinking there.

Man, is he ever fighting it right now. Sucking hard.

He needs to get his head out of his ass, put his head down and drive to the net. Bite the puck into the net. Whatever it takes. He's a liability right now, which is very rarely the case for Burrows.
It seems to take him quite awhile to get back to game form after missing time.

A liability? He's just had **** luck - he's playing well enough to get goals out there.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Bieksa looked afraid to get hit all game. The OT goal was the icing on the cake.

Every single D takes a hit to make a play. Bieksa seems to think he's above that and it cost the team.

Wondering what the team could have done to prevent that goal. Was it solely Juice's fault because he wasn't hard enough on the puck (i.e being too Kasual :sarcasm:), or should someone have been watching out for the trailer (Kopitar)?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The Kings have much greater depth, as we've witnessed a couple times this season. It isn't even close. If the Kings lose a man, they call up someone decent. We have no one on the farm to call up. Archibald isn't an NHL player nor will he ever be a significant contributing NHL player.

The main difference between LA and Vancouver last night was depth, not goaltending.

I dont think he was arguing depth, he mentioned that the kings are simply having issues scoring like we do in games as a team this season. But they are also winning those games.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
So you're saying we should trade for a legit sniper?

Yes please.

The 2011-12 Kings were advanced stat darlings with problems scoring. All this talk of blowing it all up are a bit premature is what I'm saying.

Whether we have the chips to acquire a Jeff Carter-type player, should one become available, probably not.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Yup. Burrows is playing good hockey, and dominating possession, far from a liability, actually the opposite of one.
Well the opposite of a liability would actually contribute something offensively and defensively.

He basically just keeps the score constant really well. Which is okay, it's just not good enough for a top 6 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad