GDT: Game #26 - 12.04.14 - at Detroit - 6:30 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

TestGrave

Nov 30, 2013
Central Florida
Tell ya one thing, I'm not buying into this new star rising crap anymore.

When this team actually changes and doesn't look the same as they've been for the past six years. I'll be convinced.

Well, tbh, they might even look worse, which in my opinion is great... It finally moves away from the status quo and people will have to do something about it eventually... Of couse, if they develop into the Oilers, that would just suck...

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
This game went exactly how we thought it would. How often does that happen? This team really is a bottom barrel team right now, with only Edm and Buf really way worse. The thing that still gets me though, is for a period at a time, they turn it on and look a lot like last years team. But other than that, it's a suck fest.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Well, tbh, they might even look worse, which in my opinion is great... It finally moves away from the status quo and people will have to do something about it eventually... Of couse, if they develop into the Oilers, that would just suck...

If they did become the Oilers of the south. I'll curl into a fettle position and cry.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
This game went exactly how we thought it would. How often does that happen? This team really is a bottom barrel team right now, with only Edm and Buf really way worse. The thing that still gets me though, is for a period at a time, they turn it on and look a lot like last years team. But other than that, it's a suck fest.

I haven't seen one of those periods since we were down 3-0 to Minnesota. Colorado, Toronto, and Detroit have been one sided humiliations.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well we've established I don't have nearly as high an opinion of Nill as the rest of you, I just want to hear him explain what he believes the problem is and what he is going to do to fix it.

Nill made some early shake ups, but if his history with the Wings holds true, you're going to have to ride it out long term. The Wings were 100% about building from within. For the Wings, it's finally paying off this season. And the Stars will eventually follow that example. But it's going to take time for the draft picks he's making to make an impact on the ice.

In the interim, the Stars do have some legitimate centers. That's always a tough spot to fill. Second hardest spot to fill are great defenders. The Wings are still trying to plug that hole since Lidstrom left.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What's the point? I'm all for sending messages but don't go overboard punishing a guy for hustling when he will simply disappear as a player if his aggression is takin away (unless you think it was intentially dirty, which I didn't).

Not sure why Hircoff isn't getting time, I didn't notice him looking terrible. Moen is consistently not getting pt, time to make him the extra skater and keeps Scevs and McKenzie in the line up.
Ruff told Garbutt to play smarter, and Garbutt took a stupid penalty.

Really, it only shows how little the players are listening to Ruff.

Well we've established I don't have nearly as high an opinion of Nill as the rest of you, I just want to hear him explain what he believes the problem is and what he is going to do to fix it.
To fix it, we are going to have to wait for the young d-men to age a couple of seasons overnight.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I start trading guys who got contracts in the offseason. I start dumping vets. I drain the farm and get some more guys from other teams who want a chance at the NHL. I really don't think Ruff is the problem.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
To fix it, we are going to have to wait for the young d-men to age a couple of seasons overnight.

Or hand somebody like Matt Niskanen a huge contract in the off-season. Ugh, no. The defender free agent market has been awful.

Several posters on the Wings forum liked how Klingberg looked. I think he was one of the brighter spots. Has he been having a nice season?

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA

Or Garbutt could be a knucklehead. They are all too common in the world of sports. Coaching doesn't have much to do with that.

Not that I disagree that players may be tuning out Ruff (so it goes with losing seasons), but I wouldn't draw that conclusion from any action that Garbutt takes. He's play dirty, and no amount of discipline seems to be correcting that.

(btw I didn't read into that context of that quote, so I apologize if I'm taking it out of context)

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Or hand somebody like Matt Niskanen a huge contract in the off-season. Ugh, no. The defender free agent market has been awful.

Several posters on the Wings forum liked how Klingberg looked. I think he was one of the brighter spots. Has he been having a nice season?

He had an average couple of games before this one but he's back to being our best defenseman by a large degree. It's hard to tell whether he's actually amazing or if he's just good and everyone else is really terrible. Either way we're really happy with how he's been doing. Even in his average games he was better than the rest of our godawful defense.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He had an average couple of games before this one but he's back to being our best defenseman by a large degree. It's hard to tell whether he's actually amazing or if he's just good and everyone else is really terrible. Either way we're really happy with how he's been doing. Even in his average games he was better than the rest of our godawful defense.

That's great to hear. Keep developing players like him and you're in solid shape. But like McClure said, it's a waiting game sometimes that's awful to bear.

It was pretty rough watching Dan Cleary get chance after chance in previous years while guys like Nyquist and Tatar couldn't break the top 6. Not sure how much Nill was in on decisions of that nature, but he was certainly part of the regime that gained a reputation for slow cooking prospects while leaning on veterans.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
And the worst part of the waiting game is how this is round three or four following the waves of failed young d-men. Maybe this group is better. Who knows.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
That's great to hear. Keep developing players like him and you're in solid shape. But like McClure said, it's a waiting game sometimes that's awful to bear.

It was pretty rough watching Dan Cleary get chance after chance in previous years while guys like Nyquist and Tatar couldn't break the top 6. Not sure how much Nill was in on decisions of that nature, but he was certainly part of the regime that gained a reputation for slow cooking prospects while leaning on veterans.

We have Honka on our AHL team who is developing pretty far ahead of schedule but is still a year or so away from getting a try on the big team. There's also a couple of defensemen in Europe that look like they're developing on a similar track to Klingberg. And Nemeth had been doing pretty well on the Stars before his unfortunate injury. In a few years our defense is going to look a lot better (and filled with Europeans :laugh:) but in the meantime it's pretty rough. Nill has said that he's looking to develop our prospects instead of making any big defense trades so he's probably repeating what he did with Detroit. And it's hard to argue with the results that he had there

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Jordie Benn plays Dallas gives up 5 goals. Stop me if you've heard this before.

Jokipakka isn't great but at this point just keep playing him. There's absolutely no reason this team shouldn't dress both he and Oleksiak every night.

Sceviour played the best game of the season.

Garbutt keeps Garbutting. If Pittsburgh offers up one of their young d-men Nill should take it and run.

Rynnas wasn't all that good but the defenses' inability to pick up the backside winger is mind boggling. How many variations of this theme are there?

Not enough teams below us are picking up points but if they continue to surrender 5 goals against a game McDavid will soon be ours. Buffalo has a better defense. That's sad.

There's also no reasonable excuse why Fraser and Patrick still have jobs at this point.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Oh while I'm *****ing. Cody Eakin you should be on the trade list. Isn't good offensively. Not that great defensively. Mediocre on the dot. What does he do well that helps this team win?

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014

I don't know that it really shows all that much, Garbutt is just reckless, but judging by the teams play, Ruff very well could have lost the team.
If you think about it, while a lot of the players aren't great, they are no where near as poor as they are performing.
Everyone keeps blaming the rookie d, and Joki hasn't looked great but in reality Oleksiak hasn't been as bad as the vets in his own zone and Klingberg is the only Dman that looks good.
It's the vets that are the stinking.
The team started the year playing a rough schedule but looked pretty good. It was more lost points due to a mistake here or there that was hurting them. But they played fast with lots of intensity.
Now they look like horse ****.
Something must be going on whether it's bad coaching or the players quitting on him.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
His usage was actually upped a bit this game, and he looked good with Klingberg.

Benn was awful, and he only played 16 minutes.

As disappointing as this team continues to be, I actually do believe there's some reason to believe we'll see a better Top 6 next game. Since Jokipaaka and Klingberg did look pretty good together, I wouldn't be shocked to see them stick together next game.

Maybe they'll go back to Daley-Demers and then give Oleksiak a shot with Goligoski. Maybe they'll give Goligoski or Oleksiak a chance with Demers. Either way I do think Benn comes out.

k1279

Aug 14, 2010
Pathetic.

They can't even admit they're 9-17? :help:

9 ****ing wins in 26 games is nowhere NEAR .500 hockey.

I thought the Stars had a nice season last year and now I find out they were a below .500 team with a 40-42 record thanks to Modo's shrewd standings analysis. Maybe we should have seen this season's disaster coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad