Post-Game Talk: Game 25 vs SJS - 3 stars

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Confidence is a weird thing. Not having confidence as a goal scorer is terrible. Having too much confidence isn't good either. I think that too much confidence on defense is the worst and I'm not sure that's what's going on or not but maybe?

"I can take this risky pinch"
"I can chip this off the glass, but it would be super awesome if I connect with the breaking forward with a behind the back pass through the middle of the ice!"
"Sure, he's got a step on me but I can catch up"
"I'm going to cheat on the offensive side of things because the other team isn't good enough to take advantage of it"
"I would look like a little bitch if I panic and just try to clear the puck so I'm going to hold onto it and turn back into traffic and look for a better play"

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Holy overreactions in here

We're 4th in the east and 6-2-2 in our last 10

The fact we are getting leads is a huge step for this organization. It's been a decade since we've been able to do that. Now it's on the staff and players to learn how to keep them. Becoming a wagon doesn't happen overnight

Once again, if Husso makes one save last night we win that hockey game. The wings also played incredibly sloppy. Both can be true

Yes it was frustrating as f*** but you'd think we were last in the league with some of the reactionary takes in here. Its comical

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Fellas, I had this crazy dream last night that they ---

OH MY GOD!!!

But yeah. Gotta sit the Hu. Gotta show the tape to the D a bunch of times too.

"No, yeah - watch this part again, it's CRAZY..."

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
You're probably right. But depending on what's happening behind closed doors, I wouldn't even mind it if Lalonde sent a message by sitting Larkin. I don't at all expect it, but that entire roster needs better two-way play, and it's overdue for the coaches to get their attention.
Hmm. Lose a game because lazy D and crap net couldn't back up a hot offense. Solution, SIT THE CAPTAIN.

Hmmmmm.

Reactions: raymond23

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Holy overreactions in here

We're 4th in the east and 6-2-2 in our last 10

The fact we are getting leads is a huge step for this organization. It's been a decade since we've been able to do that. Now it's on the staff and players to learn how to keep them. Becoming a wagon doesn't happen overnight

Once again, if Husso makes one save last night we win that hockey game. The wings also played incredibly sloppy. Both can be true

Yes it was frustrating as f*** but you'd think we were last in the league with some of the reactionary takes in here. Its comical
You'd think we were in first place with some of the lassez faire takes in here. It's comical.

• Wow
Reactions: raymond23

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hmm. Lose a game because lazy D and crap net couldn't back up a hot offense. Solution, SIT THE CAPTAIN.

Hmmmmm.
See post #68. It's not that Larkin is the root cause. It's that the entire roster has forgotten how to play defense once they score a few, to a dangerous degree.

I'm wide open to alternatives. But this needs a significant course correction if they want to stay on track to make the playoffs.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
nope

SJ's third goal came 12 seconds after the PP was over.
Do you really think I didn't know that?
It is 3 anyhow.
I'm not sure benching Larkin sends the right message. To me, the team needs more stabilizing features, not more destabilizing features. Larkin is your captain, your best player, and one of your highest effort players. He just endured a family tragedy last week. Benching him risks messing with Larkin himself, and I'd bet more than one person in the locker room would have a "wtf?" reaction. Meanwhile Kane just joined the team, and we're going to risk adding more chaos? I'm not sure who we'd be trying to inspire to play better by benching Larkin.

Plus, overall, the Wings have played well when you zoom out. They need to be more consistent and hold leads better, but benching Larkin just seems too drastic to me.
Has someone really suggested it?
This was a frustrating loss more in the mold of it you want to make the playoffs with a bubble team you can't afford to play that way and give up points to an opponent you should beat.

Every team (including top tier teams) have absolutely stinkers like these, but you can see the team sliding into bad habits. They need to be corrected and some lineup changes need to be made.

All the Kane hoopla also probably added to the less than stellar focus last night too.

This is where coaching and team leadership need to step up and knock these bad habits out of it before a 1 game dumb loss turns into a 5 game slide.
Check 2/3 1st pages in the game thread. Everyone expected the loss. Now they are surprised.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Watch the game and not just the boxscore, dude. Chiarot and Petry's +3 came from a 1 minute stretch of that game and were awful almost every other shift. Petry had one of the more dangerous shots on Husso this game (the portion of the game Husso felt like stopping shots). Walman was pretty bad. ChiaPet were worse. And Ghost is not a LD...
Chiarot had the primary assist on 2 of those 3 goals, including a beauty on the Raymond goal. Not gonna hate on him for this game.

Ghost is not LD for sure, and Walman sucks with Holl. If Lalonde is gonna sit Maatta, who has sucked lately, then Stevie needs to call up Ed.

Veleno was fine. Wasn’t highly impactful like he has been most nights, but brand new line obviously going to take time to gel. He should return to line 1 if Lalonde paid attention to previous games. Loved the 4th line, and Ras with Copp and Perron worked last season and looked great last night.
Veleno isn't on the same page as Kane. I don't think his hockey IQ is high enough.

Also, his bad puck decision, and poor effort afterwards led to the second shorthanded goal:

I'm beginning to think he's better off as a winger than a center. Same with Raz.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Check 2/3 1st pages in the game thread. Everyone expected the loss. Now they are surprised.

Losing 6-5 after going up 4-0, scoring the go ahead in the 3rd and giving up what basically amounts to 3 SH goals on one PP; is surprising. It's not the loss in of itself that was surprising but how it came about.

If they had lost 3-2 or even 4-2 where they just didn't seem with it, yeah I think you expect a disappointment game with the hype around Kane.

Competitive teams don't regularly let teams come back from 4-0. The Wings lost last night but also let the previous two games almost slip away after getting big leads too. Its a not a wheels falling off, we'll never end the rebuild freak out, but it is something that needs to be addressed if this team wants a shot at the playoffs.

Reactions: jkutswings

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
giving up what basically amounts to 3 SH goals on one PP; is surprising.
That basically sums it up, lol. IIRC, Mickey said he'd be surprised to see 4 forwards on the PP after the first shorty, lol. The Wings could have run 2D PP with Seider and Ghost, who were paired together ES anyways.

Lalonde is just bad about making adjustments during a game. It's like he prepares for a game and sticks to the gameplan no matter what happens during the game. He'll never make it past the first round with that line of thinking. 7 games against the same opponent, the coach that can make adjustments will win most of the time.

Reactions: flychairman
Chiarot had the primary assist on 2 of those 3 goals, including a beauty on the Raymond goal. Not gonna hate on him for this game.

Ghost is not LD for sure, and Walman sucks with Holl. If Lalonde is gonna sit Maatta, who has sucked lately, then Stevie needs to call up Ed.

Veleno isn't on the same page as Kane. I don't think his hockey IQ is high enough.

Also, his bad puck decision, and poor effort afterwards led to the second shorthanded goal:

I'm beginning to think he's better off as a winger than a center. Same with Raz.

We are one game into the Kane experiment. Let’s not judge too rashly. Also pretty sure that Kane would’ve played next to Compher. Veleno just filled in. Needs a new spot now. Moose is def better at W but has been pretty decent at 4C. I say keep him there and push Veleno back to 1LW. He did good in that spot. Be hard on the forecheck as the worker bee, give the puck to 71 and 23, then play cleanup in front á la Homer. If Moose steadies himself you could switch up Joey and him. But let’s see some consistency from him first.

Being so thin at C needs to be looked at.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
See post #68. It's not that Larkin is the root cause. It's that the entire roster has forgotten how to play defense once they score a few, to a dangerous degree.

I'm wide open to alternatives. But this needs a significant course correction if they want to stay on track to make the playoffs.
Lost a game to a bottom team that has NO DOWNSIDE to attacking.

Dumb? Sure.

Lazy? I think so.

Crap goalie? I think yes.

Panic? Naw.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Coaching staff fumbled this game, i would have taken a TO after the two goals and im shocked they didn't take TO after the 3rd. Some coaches are like mother hens, they sit on that like it's something precious. Burn the TO when it's necessary, react don't wait and see. If they need a TO later, switch goalies, it's a free TO or switch goalies first.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Losing 6-5 after going up 4-0, scoring the go ahead in the 3rd and giving up what basically amounts to 3 SH goals on one PP; is surprising. It's not the loss in of itself that was surprising but how it came about.

If they had lost 3-2 or even 4-2 where they just didn't seem with it, yeah I think you expect a disappointment game with the hype around Kane.

Competitive teams don't regularly let teams come back from 4-0. The Wings lost last night but also let the previous two games almost slip away after getting big leads too. Its a not a wheels falling off, we'll never end the rebuild freak out, but it is something that needs to be addressed if this team wants a shot at the playoffs.
I think people would no matter how we lost. I thought we would lose this one, but when I was the thread I was surprised that everyone was expecting it. Then as we got outshot 12-5 and outplayed in period 1 it was embarrassing. Nevertheless we survived 1st and got some lucky bounces and suddenly we had a commanding 4-0 lead and getting PP. I thought to myself I can't believe this we can put it away now. And boom, they score 3 sh goals within 2 min.

I was expecting a loss, boring and frustrating game. We got a point, the game was exciting and it went far better then expected.

The sharks were brutally bad this season allowing 10 goals in back to back games, but the previous game they did the same to NYI what they did to us. The coach did not prepare the team for this game.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Spacegoat is the guy who went to the game with a date. Where's my pitchfork!?!?!?
It's okay, he has been reported to the proper authorities at LCA. He is not allowed back under any circumstances.

Unfortunately, the security at LCA could be better, so we shall see how this goes in the long run.

Reactions: Hammettf2b

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
One sure sign that the Wings have improved this season is that fans of other teams keep coming into our forum to troll.

I can assure you that's not why I'm here. I couldn't care less what the Wings do. I simply have never seen such a pathetic collapse in my 20+ years of watching professional hockey and someone needs to answer for it

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I’m still mad about this game. Not because it was a loss but how we lost. If they do the same against Ottawa they are gonna be in trouble long term. These lost points are gonna catch up once Tampa and Toronto start clicking.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I’m still mad about this game. Not because it was a loss but how we lost. If they do the same against Ottawa they are gonna be in trouble long term. These lost points are gonna catch up once Tampa and Toronto start clicking.
Everyone expected the loss.
I myself expected a loss, but a boring and frustrating one. Well we got a point and the game was exciting.
The coach did a bad job. Sharks did exactly the same in their previous games vs NYI.
But sometimes we win games you shouldn't, sometimes you win vs good teams and lose vs bad teams. The sharks were historically bad allowing 10 goals in back to back games, it felt like we should beat them 15-2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad