GDT: Game 25 | Sabres @ Jackets | 12/7 7.30 PM |

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Same problem existed last year also even those guys were on roster.

Did you read the entire post?

On top of those Dmen they drafted a Dman 6th overall and 12th overall this year.
Ceulemans 25th overall in 2021.

On top of that add the defense getting healthier& more experienced.

Defense is not my concern longterm

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Looking back on last night we got to see Marchenko in the bumper (hasn't worked yet but I think it's the right use of the skillset), we got to see KJ playing center in the third period in decent minutes, and the team actually battled. It was a tight checking game where Crosby and the officials got the best of us.

I haven't been on board with Lars this year but I've had worse days of fan exhaustion than this one.
Oh, you spoke much too soon yesterday!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe Larsen will circle everyone up tomorrow and talk about their feelings. Then maybe skate a little bit. You know, work on a double axel or a sowkow. Start getting prepared for the Ice Capades.

I find it hard to believe this collection of high draft picks and veteran players simply don't know how to play organized hockey. However, I'm pretty sure the coaching staff doesn't know.
It's salchow.

I mean, I don't have anything related to last night's game to offer so...

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
There were many problems last night. I don’t want to get pounded for laying any blame on the goalies so I’ll simply conclude last night dampened Elvis’ chances to win the Vezina

• Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
There were many problems last night. I don’t want to get pounded for laying any blame on the goalies so I’ll simply conclude last night dampened Elvis’ chances to win the Vezina
I at least avoided the problem of putting the truck into the ditch upon hearing Gudbranson's statement "We haven't really been practicing the greatest lately..."
On the one hand, I'm glad to NOT hear that they have been practicing well but then producing games like last night...
On the other hand, what does that statement imply? Not practicing hard? Practices show no talent? Goalies struggling in practice? Not enough practices because of schedule? I'd shelve this last one - you try to rest your team so that they have legs left to win hockey games. That has become meaningless and the ONLY place to learn is practice if games are going to be played in a manner consistent with last night.

At least they are consistent: suck at all times.

I don't necessarily blame Lars more than anyone else, but he's got to go at this point.
You need a coach who can develop young players, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need a "players' coach" - too soft.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I at least avoided the problem of putting the truck into the ditch upon hearing Gudbranson's statement "We haven't really been practicing the greatest lately..."
On the one hand, I'm glad to NOT hear that they have been practicing well but then producing games like last night...
On the other hand, what does that statement imply? Not practicing hard? Practices show no talent? Goalies struggling in practice? Not enough practices because of schedule? I'd shelve this last one - you try to rest your team so that they have legs left to win hockey games. That has become meaningless and the ONLY place to learn is practice if games are going to be played in a manner consistent with last night.

At least they are consistent: suck at all times.

I don't necessarily blame Lars more than anyone else, but he's got to go at this point.
You need a coach who can develop young players, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need a "players' coach" - too soft.
Where are these Gudbranson comments from??

There seems to be so many cases of unusual “incidents” the last 2-3 years in the room or on the bench that we get just tidbits from that just get brushed of without the CBJ media (or us fans) asking for any type of answer.

I absolutely do not think all of this is a coincidence and absolutely related to both the Laine/Larsen bench argument, and the “subsequent” removal of Tortorella.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Where are these Gudbranson comments from??

There seems to be so many cases of unusual “incidents” the last 2-3 years in the room or on the bench that we get just tidbits from that just get brushed of without the CBJ media (or us fans) asking for any type of answer.

I absolutely do not think all of this is a coincidence and absolutely related to both the Laine/Larsen bench argument, and the “subsequent” removal of Tortorella.
"Postgame Media" video posted on CBJ's App after the Buffalo game. At 3:50 - 3:55 mark, you will see Gudbranson state generally that {we need to be lot better in a lot of areas} followed by the precise quote: "We haven't really been practicing the greatest lately..."

I don't know why he said it - thus my conjectured questions in my post...but regardless, the statement does not shed a good light on Lars. Gudbranson was answering general questions about how bad it feels to lose like that, at home, and whether he saw anything that would have predicted last night's meltdown. I can't post it here, but his interview starts at 1:55 and continues to 4:55 ....In context, Gudbranson also said that they were really bad in the 2nd period at Pittsburgh, along with a few more nuggets: "We wasted everyone's time in the building..." "Can't just walk away from this one...This one is going to burn for a while..." He may be a whipping boy on here because of his contract, and his play with the puck makes me crazy, but I liked what I saw/heard in the interview.

In contrast, Larsen's presser was one of almost complete shock; he indicated that he did not see last night coming, that there had been some good signs lately without results, and honestly had the look of zero answers (well, there really aren't any as far as winning hockey games with the group currently assembled, so that may not be a fair observation in some respects). But the juxtaposition of Larsen not seeing any issues leading up to last night's game compared to Gudbranson's interview about not great (I intepret "poor") practices and a tone of almost expecting something like last night.
Let's just say one of the two is missing the boat. As is 95% of the roster. And while there is no question we leave them out to dry more than any other team, our G play is F- to add to the black cloud.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not sure which of the handful of threads discussing the same topic this sh9uld go in, but I'm choosing this one.

Any decision regarding staff/personnel/employment that is made as a result of this particular game outcome is probably not the best one, despite that it would make a lot of us feel better. This is not to say that Larsen/Kekalainen/Davidson/any player are beyond consideration for replacement/removal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not sure which of the handful of threads discussing the same topic this sh9uld go in, but I'm choosing this one.

Any decision regarding staff/personnel/employment that is made as a result of this particular game outcome is probably not the best one, despite that it would make a lot of us feel better. This is not to say that Larsen/Kekalainen/Davidson/any player are beyond consideration for replacement/removal.
I have a rule of thumb: Never, ever make major life-affecting choices when depressed or disappointed. It's very much like making them while drunk - sure, it seems reasonable at the time, and they sure look good right then and there, but you'll really regret it in the morning.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I have a rule of thumb: Never, ever make major life-affecting choices when depressed or disappointed. It's very much like making them while drunk - sure, it seems reasonable at the time, and they sure look good right then and there, but you'll really regret it in the morning.
Which is good advice for life "sleep on it" is a real thing. That said, in this scenario its been building for awhile and last night really seemed like a boiling point or should be.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I decided Lars could not coach this team beyond this year about a month ago. I decided JD and Jarmo had to go a couple of weeks ago. I don’t like to keep posting negative things. I just decided to post about cleaning house today because I can’t keep my mouth shut any longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad