GDT: Game 25: Oilers @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ - Tippetting!

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I can’t imagine this goes very well tonight co soldering our play the last handful of games. Hopefully I am wrong.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
It's no mystery, it's like every other game...it will depend on Kuemper to shut them down or we lose. Rinse repeat.

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It's no mystery, it's like every other game...it will depend on Kuemper to shut them down or we lose. Rinse repeat.

You could say it's team defense, but we lead the league in wins when outshot. :amazed: Oilers not far behind.

upload_2019-11-24_14-33-36.png

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You could say it's team defense, but we lead the league in wins when outshot. :amazed: Oilers not far behind.

One thing I'd be careful with on these is garbage time. Particularly with the Coyotes but any team. The Coyotes are champs at letting their feet off the gas.
If the Coyotes lead or it was pretty even in shots in say period 1 & 2 in those games they were outshot by opponent in total, I'd just call that nugget noise.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We're due to get blown out, we've been playing like hot swamp butt lately, and we're on the second game of a back-to-back leading into a holiday. Conditions are ripe for a phone-in.
Edmonton has been on a tough road trip, so who knows what happens.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What momentum? 5-3-2 versus 5-4-1, seems close to me. McDrai will benefit other players and has to produce for the Oilers to win, our goal tending needs to be good for us to win. best players need to be best players, kind of obvious. Oilers are in first, we will play harder then last night.

Its still a little early to anoint the Oilers as a great team. Tip is getting blood out of a stone, for now anyway. In the end, we surpass them because our team D and goal tending is better, they rely on one line, that will catch up to them eventually.
Our team D you always talk about is Kuemper and Raanta. They have been our best players this year. The Oilers might rely mostly on one line while we rely on our goal tending.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Testing my own theory:

(I only found 9 games on Natural Stat Trick, I assume last night's isn't in the database yet)

Coyotes outshot or game was even through 1-2 periods but were behind overall:

Avs/Coyotes - 11/12 - Coyotes got a 2-0 lead and outshot the avs 16 to 7 in the first. After that the Avs lead in shots.

Kings/Coyotes - 11/18 - Outshot the Kings 13 to 6, built a 2 goal lead. After that the Kings lead in shots.

Sens/Coyotes - 10/19 - Coyotes lead in shots 8-5 until they built a 2 goal lead in the first. Sens lead in shots the rest of the way. Coyotes won 5-2. Sidenote, Coyotes completely clowned the Sens in the first, with a whopping 10 scoring chances to Ottawa's 1.

Coyotes / Jets - 10/15 - Coyotes built a 4-1 lead, through which the shot totals were 28 to 24 through 2 periods. Jets went crazy in the third to try and tie it but couldn't. Coyotes ended up outshot for the game but controlled it while building the lead.

Knights / Coyotes - 10/10 - Shots were 24 to 25 through 2 periods. Coyotes lead after 2 periods 4-2. Vegas pushed hard to tie it but couldn't. Shots ended up 38 -29 in Vegas's favor.

Close games:

Coyotes/Oilers - 11/4 - Coyotes won this in OT, was a close game, outshot yes but only by 4 shots. Game was close the whole time.

Outshot the whole time:

Flames/Coyotes - 11/16 - This is a good example of winning while outshot. Flames outshot the Coyotes in every period but lost 3-0. Coyotes were opportunistic and were way underwater in chances the whole game not just shots.

Coyotes / Devils - 10/25 - Another example where the Coyotes were completely out worked but won anyway. Devils outshot 35-17. Coyotes still scored 5 goals and won 5-3. Devils have goaltending issues. Where as in the Flames game I thought Rittich was alright.

Coyotes / Blues - 11/12 - The Blues basically trucked us shooting wise, 35-22. Coyotes came from behind to tie it and force a shootout. Won 3-2 in the SO.

tl;dr
So you've got 5 games that are just garbage time and or Coyotes letting their feet off the gas after a lead. (probably more the latter watching this stupid team). 1 game that was just close. 3 games where the other team convincingly outperformed the Coyotes the whole game. IMO in the 5 games the other team took the lead, that had more to do with the offense sucking in the third more so than the team defense breaking down and allowing a lot of shots. Goalies still did work regardless of course.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Goaltenders doing their job - crazy.
Sometimes coming to this forum is as stupid as pissing up a rope and I'm guessing about as much fun.
Ima go enjoy a game now - carry on, if that's what makes you feel good.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Testing my own theory:

(I only found 9 games on Natural Stat Trick, I assume last night's isn't in the database yet)

Coyotes outshot or game was even through 1-2 periods but were behind overall:

Avs/Coyotes - 11/12 - Coyotes got a 2-0 lead and outshot the avs 16 to 7 in the first. After that the Avs lead in shots.

Kings/Coyotes - 11/18 - Outshot the Kings 13 to 6, built a 2 goal lead. After that the Kings lead in shots.

Sens/Coyotes - 10/19 - Coyotes lead in shots 8-5 until they built a 2 goal lead in the first. Sens lead in shots the rest of the way. Coyotes won 5-2. Sidenote, Coyotes completely clowned the Sens in the first, with a whopping 10 scoring chances to Ottawa's 1.

Coyotes / Jets - 10/15 - Coyotes built a 4-1 lead, through which the shot totals were 28 to 24 through 2 periods. Jets went crazy in the third to try and tie it but couldn't. Coyotes ended up outshot for the game but controlled it while building the lead.

Knights / Coyotes - 10/10 - Shots were 24 to 25 through 2 periods. Coyotes lead after 2 periods 4-2. Vegas pushed hard to tie it but couldn't. Shots ended up 38 -29 in Vegas's favor.

Close games:

Coyotes/Oilers - 11/4 - Coyotes won this in OT, was a close game, outshot yes but only by 4 shots. Game was close the whole time.

Outshot the whole time:

Flames/Coyotes - 11/16 - This is a good example of winning while outshot. Flames outshot the Coyotes in every period but lost 3-0. Coyotes were opportunistic and were way underwater in chances the whole game not just shots.

Coyotes / Devils - 10/25 - Another example where the Coyotes were completely out worked but won anyway. Devils outshot 35-17. Coyotes still scored 5 goals and won 5-3. Devils have goaltending issues. Where as in the Flames game I thought Rittich was alright.

Coyotes / Blues - 11/12 - The Blues basically trucked us shooting wise, 35-22. Coyotes came from behind to tie it and force a shootout. Won 3-2 in the SO.

tl;dr
So you've got 5 games that are just garbage time and or Coyotes letting their feet off the gas after a lead. (probably more the latter watching this stupid team). 1 game that was just close. 3 games where the other team convincingly outperformed the Coyotes the whole game. IMO in the 5 games the other team took the lead, that had more to do with the offense sucking in the third more so than the team defense breaking down and allowing a lot of shots. Goalies still did work regardless of course.
Thanks for this, it's quite interesting. It would take a lot more work to suss out, but I wonder if there is some pattern to the types of shots the leading team is getting and those that the trailing team is getting. I'd hypothesize that due to pinching you'd see the leading team's chances, well fewer, are of a higher quality due to odd-man breaks. Potentially you'd also see some easy dump-in style shots to get the line-change in, while you'd see less sustained offense because teams tend to not challenge for pucks when they could lose it and allow the other team a chance the other way. Similarly, I'd hypothesize you'd get a lot more crap thrown at the net by the trailing team from every which way, with more high-danger chances coming from scrambles in front of the net due to rebounds or blocks.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
but I wonder if there is some pattern to the types of shots the leading team is getting and those that the trailing team is getting. I'd hypothesize that due to pinching you'd see the leading team's chances, well fewer, are of a higher quality due to odd-man breaks. Potentially you'd also see some easy dump-in style shots to get the line-change in, while you'd see less sustained offense because teams tend to not challenge for pucks when they could lose it and allow the other team a chance the other way. Similarly, I'd hypothesize you'd get a lot more crap thrown at the net by the trailing team from every which way, with more high-danger chances coming from scrambles in front of the net due to rebounds or blocks.

If you open up NSS's game reports it has all the heat maps. The heatmaps (and HD,MD,LD stats) are interesting but I think they are only useful over MASS amounts of games to see trends. A lot more than 9 anyway. In a vacuum a shot from the mid circle is more dangerous than one from the blue line if you're looking at the heat map. But if you use the watch the play method there might be 5 guys between for a screen on the point shot where the goalie saw the circles shot the whole way and the shooter was Clayton Keller's 20 mile an hour wrister.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
How long until McDavid walks around OEL again? I'm thinking within the first 10 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00