GDT: Game 25: Oilers @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ - Tippetting!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
:edmonton @ :coyotes
6PM
FSAZ

So I assume the Coyotes will have some sort of tribute, if not they should. As annoyed as I was with his last couple three years here he's still the best coach we've had. And his team broke the stupid ass Jets curse so I'll be forever grateful for that.

Y'all know the players or if not google is your friend.

And I found this one just digging around that's kinda cool:

(haven't watched the whole thing yet, but at 8min or so has some stories about Scott Bowman)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Coyotes have negative momentum. Every game, they show their ass a little bit more. I have no idea what is going on.

I fully expect McDrai to dunk on them, even if they did play last night as well.

Reactions: justin323032

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Smith played last night as the oilers beat Vegas. It was a late game. I'm assuming we'll see Koskinen, who has good numbers.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And I found this one just digging around that's kinda cool:

(haven't watched the whole thing yet, but at 8min or so has some stories about Scott Bowman)

The part about momentum and the PK reminds me of one of Tocc's biggest flaws; his reluctance to use his timeout when the game is clearly getting out of hand. A couple games this year have been blown this way. You can't take the timeout with you, so you may as well use it. Challenges convert at a really low rate, half the time you don't even need to use it because the refs want to double check to make sure they get it right the first time.

The lack of 'push' lately comes from no single line being able to generate consistent pressure and change the momentum like Bowman would want. Crouse - Soda - Fischer was that in the early going, but with Phil there now, they aren't really a speed bump line anymore. The Coyotes have vastly improved the amount of skill on the roster but the amount of genuine pushback/give-a-damn hasn't really increased. Guys like Kessel are a huge negative in that department.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Agreed on the video tribute. Say what you want about how things ended but Tippett remains the best coach in franchise history. He and the fans deserve some sort of tribute on the jumbotron.

Ready to have your mind blown? Jim Playfair is currently running the second-best PK in the NHL.

Also tonight, I’d love if our video guys could make a highlight reel of our best plays from this season. Put it on the jumbotron with upbeat music and then at the end, flash something like “Bored yet?”, “How boring!”, etc., as a nice little shot at that Edmonton reporter.

As far as the game, we know what we need to do. Shut down the big two and Edmonton has nothing beyond that. I suspect we’re going to see Koskinen again too.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed on the video tribute. Say what you want about how things ended but Tippett remains the best coach in franchise history. He and the fans deserve some sort of tribute on the jumbotron.

Ready to have your mind blown? Jim Playfair is currently running the second-best PK in the NHL.

Also tonight, I’d love if our video guys could make a highlight reel of our best plays from this season. Put it on the jumbotron with upbeat music and then at the end, flash something like “Bored yet?”, “How boring!”, etc., as a nice little shot at that Edmonton reporter.

As far as the game, we know what we need to do. Shut down the big two and Edmonton has nothing beyond that. I suspect we’re going to see Koskinen again too.
Shutting down the big two was true last year but this year they are getting big years from Kassian and Klefbom. You add Neal to the mix they are a pretty damn good team. The last two games were Coyote ugly, other teams know how to play us now. RT has to make adjustments, but so far that has not happened. Again Kuemper will have to stand on his head for us to have a chance.We have zero momentum and the Oilers have a ton. It's a funny game so you never know.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Shutting down the big two was true last year but this year they are getting big years from Kassian and Klefbom. You add Neal to the mix they are a pretty damn good team. The last two games were Coyote ugly, other teams know how to play us now. RT has to make adjustments, but so far that has not happened. Again Kuemper will have to stand on his head for us to have a chance.We have zero momentum and the Oilers have a ton. It's a funny game so you never know.
When the rest of your team barely has more points than your top 2 it's really hard to make the case for being a good team. Take away points created by those 2 and the rest of the lineup are duds. Stop that line and you win, that's not a damn good team. That's an extremely good line.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When the rest of your team barely has more points than your top 2 it's really hard to make the case for being a good team. Take away points created by those 2 and the rest of the lineup are duds. Stop that line and you win, that's not a damn good team. That's an extremely good line.
Kassain would be tied with Schmaltz for team lead in pts. on the Yotes. Neal would lead the Yotes in goals. Klefbom would lead our D in points by a country mile. RNH would be second in scoring on the Yotes. If the big two played for the Yotes it would look the same way, worse in fact. The big two are fantastic players, and them alone makes the Oilers a damn good team.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Kassain would be tied with Schmaltz for team lead in pts. on the Yotes. Neal would lead the Yotes in goals. Klefbom would lead our D in points by a country mile. RNH would be second in scoring on the Yotes. If the big two played for the Yotes it would look the same way, worse in fact.
That neither makes them good or playing good. It means they benefit greatly by playing with great players. None of them would reproduce those points without McDavid and Draisaitl.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That neither makes them good or playing good. It means they benefit greatly by playing with great players. None of them would reproduce those points without McDavid and Draisaitl.
You could say that with most teams that have that caliber of players. You have your opinion and I have mine. I think they are a damn good team.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Someone in the Oil-thread posted Archibald will get one.

Obviously, he will. One, or more than one.

I see a bad loss incoming. A very bad loss.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Wow..... the GDT is overflowing with optimism today.

We're due to get blown out, we've been playing like hot swamp butt lately, and we're on the second game of a back-to-back leading into a holiday. Conditions are ripe for a phone-in.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What momentum? 5-3-2 versus 5-4-1, seems close to me. McDrai will benefit other players and has to produce for the Oilers to win, our goal tending needs to be good for us to win. best players need to be best players, kind of obvious. Oilers are in first, we will play harder then last night.

Its still a little early to anoint the Oilers as a great team. Tip is getting blood out of a stone, for now anyway. In the end, we surpass them because our team D and goal tending is better, they rely on one line, that will catch up to them eventually.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We're due to get blown out, we've been playing like hot swamp butt lately, and we're on the second game of a back-to-back leading into a holiday. Conditions are ripe for a phone-in.
Which is exactly why we likely spank them tonight. Remember there was no way we could beat the Blues/Caps after how we played a few games before, then we won both:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad