GDT: Game 25: Coyotes @ Blackhawks - 6:30 PM - FSAZ+

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I think that the long slow momentum sucking speed draining backwards drop pass is endemic of what's wrong with this team. At work they have this saying when something isn't working, they say do the same thing, just more of it. under 20 shots per game is not going to cut it, crappy drop passes and zone entries isn't going to cut it and the dump and chase isn't going to cut it. Trying harder doing the same things that don't work just means a sweatier failure. I feel sorry for Doan until I remember he is making $3 million to watch this train wreck where I am in season #19 of paying for my privilege to watch this tire fire.

I know its never going to happen but maybe its time to adopt your system to the players that we actually have.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
How is it possoble that despite all the turnover on the roster, we are still just as lifeless and look just as braindead as we did four years ago?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
How is it possoble that despite all the turnover on the roster, we are still just as lifeless and look just as braindead as we did four years ago?

We need a new coach.

No, I'm just ****ing with you.

We vastly overrated our talent level.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I am not saying we need a new coach, I think we either need the current coach to acknowledge that things need to be fixed deeper that try compete and execution, or if that is not possible then we need a new coach.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I mean here's the thing with Tippet supporters.

Say he's a great coach. Let's grant that. But then somehow his supporters claim that he's somehow immune to shelf life. 5 years of no playoffs and you think Tippet is so good that he's immune to shelf life? If he's Scotty Bowman 2.0, why haven't we been making the playoffs.

I don't get it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Exactly. If we fired him and he got picked up by the Kings tomorrow and led them to a Cup, it wouldn't make firing him a bad decision. He is completely ineffective here. He's also (still) an awful fit for a rebuilding club.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Looked good in the first period, but at the end of the night Doan, Duke, and Rieder combined for zero shots. :shakehead

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We need a new coach.

No, I'm just ****ing with you.

We vastly overrated our talent level.

I think we as fans overrated our talent level. I believe management knew what they had and what they were getting into. This rebuild is no different from other teams like Buffalo, Winnipeg etc. Rebuilding is SLOW and PAINFULL. It is hard for the casual fan to watch. Fans don't have patience, they want their team too win all the time.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Say he's a great coach. Let's grant that. But then somehow his supporters claim that he's somehow immune to shelf life. 5 years of no playoffs and you think Tippet is so good that he's immune to shelf life? If he's Scotty Bowman 2.0, why haven't we been making the playoffs.

I don't get it.

B/c you can coach players correctly, but if they fail to execute, you wind up in a poor situation.

The 09-12 teams executed far better than these iterations. It's too simple. How many times did we have an offside call or a broken up pass when we tried to pass the puck into the offensive zone? People complain about dump and chase, but we regularly fail to bring the puck in as a one-on-one, wide-open style as well.

But it is a process that takes time. At a time where everything is one click away, and things can be fixed in a moment's notice, sport is an area where you rarely get this immediate result.

BTW, Perlini looked very good last night. People question whether or not we can develop players - Perlini is a perfect example of how it can be done. We know of his offensive skill, but his defensive game may have been a little rough around the edges. So we put him in Tucson where he learns the defensive side of the game and won't be a liability if he had made the team right out of camp.

While the Tippett haters will say that Tippett hasn't had the chance to break Perlini, the reality is that he is just translating what he knows (similar system in Tucson) to the NHL. Not enough of our players are doing that, and as people said, it could be the aging of veterans where they simply don't have the skill to take the opposition on one-on-one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't get it.

ALL coaches have a self life. I don't care what happened before the ownership change, so going back 5 yrs. is just ridiculous. Whatever happened before then was none of IA's business. That is why I wanted DM and DT to see this rebuild thru, as they both did unbelievable things while under the NHL ownership. We have never had a rebuild before, only signing scrubs that no one wanted, but we didn't have a choice. No body expected the Coyotes to make the playoffs last year or this year because of the rebuild. That is true for almost any team in a rebuild. Patience is key.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I would like to ask all the Tippett apologists if you "enjoy" his brand of hockey?

If it means giving us a better chance to pick up points and keep us competitive vs the alternative, sure.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We're boring for sure. But I still think we need more talent to play a more free-flowing system. In an earlier post, I divided our roster on speed vs. slow. What if we did it on talent vs. grinder?

Talent
- Rieder
- Vrbata
- Domi
- Dvorak
- Duclair (but not playing like it)
- Perlini (and it's still way early)

Grinder
- Doan
- McGinn
- Hanzal
- White
- Crouse
- Gaudet
- Martinook

At this point, we have 3 forwards and a rookie (who's coming along as of late) capable of doing anything with the puck.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I think we as fans overrated our talent level. I believe management knew what they had and what they were getting into. This rebuild is no different from other teams like Buffalo, Winnipeg etc. Rebuilding is SLOW and PAINFULL. It is hard for the casual fan to watch. Fans don't have patience, they want their team too win all the time.

Except Buffalo changed to a new head during the rebuilding process and currently has a head coach that you have blasted before in the past as bad.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
We're boring for sure. But I still think we need more talent to play a more free-flowing system. In an earlier post, I divided our roster on speed vs. slow. What if we did it on talent vs. grinder?

Talent
- Rieder
- Vrbata
- Domi
- Dvorak
- Duclair (but not playing like it)
- Perlini (and it's still way early)

Grinder
- Doan
- McGinn
- Hanzal
- White
- Crouse
- Gaudet
- Martinook

At this point, we have 3 forwards and a rookie (who's coming along as of late) capable of doing anything with the puck.

Only one center in the talent column, and he's a rookie. Lack of center talent is impacting the play of our wingers. This is our biggest problem (if I'm forced to choose only one :naughty:)

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
This team is nowhere near a contender. They are playing right around their talent level.
It's going to be a long time before some of these kids mature and play at a higher level.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This team is nowhere near a contender. They are playing right around their talent level.
It's going to be a long time before some of these kids mature and play at a higher level.

maybe, but I think 2 or 3 key veteran additions could completely change the complexion of the team and raise the game of some of those under-performers.

Not this year of course. This year is when we test the loyalty of the fan base. The first 20 years the fans were spoiled, but this year we have to show some mettle. :sarcasm:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Good lord, if THIS is the year of the actual testing of the fan base, what have previous eight years been??? :amazed:

You must be shell shocked...it hasn't been THAT long.

2n9xs2c.jpg

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Oh, you mean the year we were barely above .500 and rode a Mike Smith hot streak? That was pretty cool, especially since we figured it was our last hurrah before relocation. I guess we should have just kept everyone from that team regardless of effectiveness. I mean, hey, they did get us to the third round once. That should be job security for life. Who cares about diminishing returns; we owe them. Bring back Langkow, Moss, and Chip.

This year we get to have relocation over our heads and watch... this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad