GDT: Game 25: Columbus at Florida | 12/4 7:30PM EST

thebus2288*

I'm talking about the way he plays on the ice A LOT of the time. I'm not talking about all the other personal stuff. And the amount of points he has/gets does not trump everything to me. When I was younger I bought into the Nash hype. The goals, this play, that play. The teams losing or not playing good, but the player still puts up points. The player can't possibly be a problem right? Its always the team holding the great player back. Nash always needed a better center/team. To most of you Johansen is our only "1st line" player.

Once you buy into the hype of an "offensive star" it can be easy to let the little things(consistent effort, lazy play, defensive lapses) seem less important. Or sometimes even big things, like ACTUAL IMPACT on the ice. That's the reason most people either overrate or underrate a guy like Toews OR Dubinsky. Some people mock the idea of "intangibles" but its really just a fancy word to say they play the game the right way. Its also the same reason a lot of people will underrate or overrate a player like Ovechkin or Zherdev. Or the way we all know Nash can play for LONG periods of time. I guess a better comparison would be Nash. Most of the time he'll either bring IT, or, he wont. When you're the 1 or 1 of the guys that's counted on, either because of cap hit/salary or because your the captain or the "#1" center, people should NOT have to worry if IT is going to be brought.

Then things like this get overlooked. You can blame Prout if you want but this goal is not on him. Well not much.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's a good thing I'm ignoring most posters until we are healthy at least a lot of these comments are just.... :facepalm:

Anyway great first period!

Rest of the game...was there even a second team on the ice?!

Bob looks to be back to vezina form his last two games.

Hartnell needs to be on the second line with Rychel and Jenner, Atkinson back on the first.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm talking about the way he plays on the ice A LOT of the time. I'm not talking about all the other personal stuff. And the amount of points he has/gets does not trump everything to me. When I was younger I bought into the Nash hype. The goals, this play, that play. The teams losing or not playing good, but the player still puts up points. The player can't possibly be a problem right? Its always the team holding the great player back. Nash always needed a better center/team. To most of you Johansen is our only "1st line" player.

Once you buy into the hype of an "offensive star" it can be easy to let the little things(consistent effort, lazy play, defensive lapses) seem less important. Or sometimes even big things, like ACTUAL IMPACT on the ice. That's the reason most people either overrate or underrate a guy like Toews OR Dubinsky. Some people mock the idea of "intangibles" but its really just a fancy word to say they play the game the right way. Its also the same reason a lot of people will underrate or overrate a player like Ovechkin or Zherdev. Or the way we all know Nash can play for LONG periods of time. I guess a better comparison would be Nash. Most of the time he'll either bring IT, or, he wont. When you're the 1 or 1 of the guys that's counted on, either because of cap hit/salary or because your the captain or the "#1" center, people should NOT have to worry if IT is going to be brought.

Then things like this get overlooked. You can blame Prout if you want but this goal is not on him. Well not much.

That's the thing. He shouldn't be the only one counted on like Nash was. We all said coming into this year that this was the best team we ever iced right? Or at least most said that, can we agree? Anyway, we had an unexpected breakout season by Foligno, we brought in another goal scorer in Hartnell, we expected a better season out of Cam Atkinson, we expected to have a full season of Dubinsky, we expected to improve as a team. none or very little of these things happened or have yet to happen. Johansen's not the only guy expected to score, but he was expected to be the offensive leader. When we our depth punched and relied on players in over their head to be counted on in big situations it made everything go down the drain. Johansen is playing some of the most minutes for forwards in the NHL, and he didn't have a training camp. Now I know we are 2 months into this season now and that's not an excuse, but he had to get his wind back for a while.

In the video you showed he had a defensive lapse and was caught watching the puck. It happens. He's a 3rd year player, he doesn't have a complete grasp on the game yet. He's only getting better, and to compare him to the likes of Toews right now is a bit premature. Let him be him, and that is a #1 center.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The team is 2-0 since I had to change my password at work - it is now 'Wesuckagain!" So for what that's worth...

I don't know yet if this is a bad team, but I know it is playing badly. I have always said that for a team to be successful, it has to win some games when it doesn't play its best. It remains to be seen if that's what is happening here, but it doesn't feel like that. What I'm seeing doesn't feel like a positive.

That said, I'm certainly not using this stretch of play to either create a final judgement on nor affirm my existing bias on any player. It would be as wrong to do so as it would to make assumptions based on the stretch run last season (only). Is this team "regressing to the mean"? Is it "underachieving"? Does it just "suck"?

The posting in this thread exhibits some serious frustration, even anger. It's warranted. But it's a bad state to be in for making final determinations.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
For the life of me, since very early in the season, I can't remember one game that we have actually out-played the opposition. Even last Monday's win was not a win where we dominated, but merely managed to not suck worse than the Panthers.

So, it has come to this. We merely steal a win here and there when Bob plays well enough to save our bacon, or we play against a team that is just not on their game that night.

Very sad, indeed.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The team is 2-0 since I had to change my password at work - it is now 'Wesuckagain!" So for what that's worth...

I don't know yet if this is a bad team, but I know it is playing badly. I have always said that for a team to be successful, it has to win some games when it doesn't play its best. It remains to be seen if that's what is happening here, but it doesn't feel like that. What I'm seeing doesn't feel like a positive.

That said, I'm certainly not using this stretch of play to either create a final judgement on nor affirm my existing bias on any player. It would be as wrong to do so as it would to make assumptions based on the stretch run last season (only). Is this team "regressing to the mean"? Is it "underachieving"? Does it just "suck"?

The posting in this thread exhibits some serious frustration, even anger. It's warranted. But it's a bad state to be in for making final determinations.

A couple more wins and your next password can be "connorwe hardlyknewu" :laugh:

Seriously though good post. I think the current status of the team is a combination of the 3 things you mentioned caused to a large degree by the rash of injuries.

I'm not sure we'll ever be able to get a good read on the team this season. I'm still thinking 2 or 3 more wins in December is best we can hope for - so 24 points by 12/31 is my prediction.(margin of error +/- 2 pts) 47 games left. At some point barring a miracle and no further significant injuries the team will suffer a mental letdown (may be a continuation or worsening of their current state) and at that point the season will officially be written off.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
For the life of me, since very early in the season, I can't remember one game that we have actually out-played the opposition. Even last Monday's win was not a win where we dominated, but merely managed to not suck worse than the Panthers.

So, it has come to this. We merely steal a win here and there when Bob plays well enough to save our bacon, or we play against a team that is just not on their game that night.

Very sad, indeed.

Well, I'd say in that victory over the Flyers the Jackets were definitely the better team. And maybe that win over the Rangers in the 2nd game. But I see your point. This team's motto is outwork the opposition, which seems funny, because they rarely do anymore. That's where Dubinsky is really missed, and guys like MacKenzie and Comeau. It seems like nobody on the current roster has ceased the extra opportunity they've been given to step up. It's extremely disappointing.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
It's a good thing I'm ignoring most posters until we are healthy at least a lot of these comments are just.... :facepalm:

Anyway great first period!

Rest of the game...was there even a second team on the ice?!

Bob looks to be back to vezina form his last two games.

Hartnell needs to be on the second line with Rychel and Jenner, Atkinson back on the first.

See you next season then, maybe February of 2015 if we are lucky I guess.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
See you next season then, maybe February of 2015 if we are lucky I guess.

People act we're not missing our most important players.

Murray and Tyutin are arguably the 2 best defenders we have. And Letestu and Dubinsky (outside of Johansen) are our two best centers.

On the bright side Jenner has emerged (imo) as a legitimate NHL center(like I said he would) and he and Rychel have had amazing chemistry and while it seems Cam has played well with them too, I think Cam and Hartnell need to switch lines until Dubinsky returns.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
FrighteningFoolhardyAttwatersprairiechicken.gif

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
People act we're not missing our most important players.

Murray and Tyutin are arguably the 2 best defenders we have. And Letestu and Dubinsky (outside of Johansen) are our two best centers.

On the bright side Jenner has emerged (imo) as a legitimate NHL center(like I said he would) and he and Rychel have had amazing chemistry and while it seems Cam has played well with them too, I think Cam and Hartnell need to switch lines until Dubinsky returns.

I think everyone agrees we are missing important pieces here, for some it goes beyond the injuries though while others seem to think that all of the CBJ's problems are due to hurt guys.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't disagree with the fact that we are missing important pieces, however...

We didn't perform much better when Tyutin was in. Granted we were missing guys like Calvert and Jenner. However, both this year and last year, we look bad when Murray is out.

Which isn't good. If you lose a 20 year old defenseman and your defense goes to shambles, that is a bad sign.

I think, aside from Tyutin and Murray being out, our defense needs to be addressed. Specifically, Johnson needs to stop playing horribly the first half of the season and then playing great the second (or after Olympics). He did this last year and it is why he missed the Olympics. Then we heard that leaving him out was a mistake and he beasted his way through the playoffs. Hey, let's all stop voting him into the All Star game shall we?

Wiz needs to create offense or he is just a liability. Prout and Erixon need to figure out whats wrong quickly.

I don't have much of a complaint about Savard. He can be a blockhead sometimes, but he is our Baby Nash blockhead.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Leopold and Connauton (sp?) have looked pretty darn good.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Leopold and Connauton (sp?) have looked pretty darn good.

Agreed. Regardless of all the barking about Erixon around here, I think both of those two surpass him.

I don't disagree with the fact that we are missing important pieces, however...

We didn't perform much better when Tyutin was in. Granted we were missing guys like Calvert and Jenner. However, both this year and last year, we look bad when Murray is out.

Which isn't good. If you lose a 20 year old defenseman and your defense goes to shambles, that is a bad sign.

I think, aside from Tyutin and Murray being out, our defense needs to be addressed. Specifically, Johnson needs to stop playing horribly the first half of the season and then playing great the second (or after Olympics). He did this last year and it is why he missed the Olympics. Then we heard that leaving him out was a mistake and he beasted his way through the playoffs. Hey, let's all stop voting him into the All Star game shall we?

Wiz needs to create offense or he is just a liability. Prout and Erixon need to figure out whats wrong quickly.

I don't have much of a complaint about Savard. He can be a blockhead sometimes, but he is our Baby Nash blockhead.

I'm in complete agreement with everything said here. I wouldn't be upset at this point to draft Hanafin, trade JMFJ and AA and make sure we lock up Mike Reilly ASAP.

On that note are there any UFAs on D this year?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Agreed. Regardless of all the barking about Erixon around here, I think both of those two surpass him.

I'm not disagreeing about them both looking good but I don't think Erixon has been bad this year and long term he could be more valuable than both, especially Leopold who has bounced around a lot and is 34 years old. I guess I'd rather give Erixon a real chance to develop and be evaluated than salvage a few games because of Leopold's play.

I know this will draw the wrath of the anti-tankers but if I were running this team, given the circumstances, I sure wouldn't be trying to win a few games here and there and would much rather see how a young guy can develop without having to worry about being benched every time he pulls a JMFJ or Wiz type move or healthy scratched for games on end.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Had to listen to this one on the radio do to work...

Definitely feel Bob is getting back to the elite level but he MUST stop giving up near side goals.. seems to be a trend for him the last 3-5 games.

Getting outshot that bad by Panthers is pretty embarrassing and at this point I can't help but think Richards is unable to adjust his offensive approach to fit the healthy players we currently have... :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad