Post-Game Talk: Game #25: Blackhawks 2, Canucks 1 - Six goals? Nah, one goal will do fine...

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
So, what happened to the new, gritty, hard-working team we were promised under Torts?

It's hard to have a gritty, hard working team when there is a lack of griity, hard working players.

Vancouver will have trouble with the elite teams in the league, becuase they are a step below those elite teams.

Thye olders guys are starting to decline just a bit, and the younger guys aren't picking up the difference.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I place the PP scoring as the primary issue at hand. After that, Luongo's performance. Last, erratic ES offense that is still good overall, but not timely. Second place, to me, is not minor, but it's still second place. Make of that what you will.
I said minor in reference to our win/loss record, in which his role has been negligible at best. If you continue to call it "not minor" in relation to this, that is entirely irrational.

If you are just saying that it is a concern overall, then that's fine. We've gone from two elite goaltenders to one slightly above average (who may pick it up, we'll see), and the difference is certainly noticeable. Just not on our win/loss record to date.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I said minor in reference to our win/loss record, in which his role has been negligible at best. If you continue to call it "not minor" in relation to this, that is entirely irrational.

If you are just saying that it is a concern overall, then that's fine. We've gone from two elite goaltenders to one slightly above average (who may pick it up, we'll see), and the difference is certainly noticeable. Just not on our win/loss record to date.

So we disagree clearly. I am saying that it's definitely more than "minor", but not the primary issue. Semantics, I know, but I want to be clear that it isn't something one should be glossing over.

The win/loss record reflects the difference in goaltending. Shot differential favours the Canucks. The defensive focus is there. Yet, the high end goaltending isn't there to form the base.

And with that, I will take this talk to the Luongo thread.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I see you have continued to form an argument that was not made. Also, in the regular season, it's possible to tie an opponent in order to get a point. Is this an option for Luongo?

It would still result in Luongo needing to shut out the other team before getting to OT/Shootout. In that case we'd still need 6 points to be in a playoff position.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Yeah okay, I totally disagree but this convo is going nowhere. When you lose 6 of your last 9 games by either a single goal or in a shootout there are 6 games where your record would be better if your goalie let in one less goal.

Once again I'm going to try to extricate myself from this conversation by saying I love Lu but the team needs him to be good instead of average.

The Blackhawks have gone 21 straight games scoring 2 or more, and have only scored less than 2 once in 24 games, that one time being in a blowout against Colorado where the team collectively laid an egg. Even still, on average that's a 4% chance we could keep them to a goal or less.

In regulation, he Sharks have been held to a goal or less in 4/24 games. A 16.67% chance we could keep them to a goal or less.

The Ducks have been held to a goal or less in 5/26 games. A 19.2% chance we could keep them to a goal or less.

The Coyotes have been held to a goal or less in 2/23 games. An 8.7% chance we could keep them to a goal or less.

The Stars have been held to a goal or less in 4/22 games. An 18% chance we could keep them to a goal or less.

That means we had just a 51.6%(unless my math is completely wrong) chance of keeping even one of those teams to one goal in regulation, which we did, with the Sharks. The odds we had kept 2 teams to 1 goal or less in regulation would be 21.6%.

*Odds based on .96 x .833 x .808 x .913 x .82 = 48.4% chance of all teams scoring 2 or more.
and (1 - .96 x .808 x .913 x .82) x .516 = 21.6% of allowing 1 goal or less in 2 games.

If I did that completely wrong then tell me though. Probability isn't my strong suit.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Torts system appears to not really encourage hitting.

The last few games we have been outhitting some teams, we out hit the hawks although thats not saying much, were averaging the same amount of hits opposing teams are generally. He definitely wants them hitting on the forcheck and has said so, last season we had next to no forcheck at all.

I am guessing the kings will out hit us though, they do that to every team.

With how bad our 4th line is and the low minutes they get, hitting is not going to be an overwhelming stat for us until we get a better 4th line that can play decent minutes. But we generally match the opposing teams we are playing in hits. Kb has 47 hits himself on the season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad