Post-Game Talk: GAME 24 - The home winning streak ends in a shootout - Vegas 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No…but I’m fine with a 10 minute OT, and if necessary tie. Do other professional sports end ties with a skills competition? Home run competition baseball…free throws in BBall? There’s nothing wrong with a tie.

I have no problem with a tie.

But the league doesn't want teams playing for a tie. Hence, the shootout. Which I like.

Hockey is unlike other pro team sports in many ways. Doesn't make those things wrong.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Am I the only one on this board that has a full understanding of the intricacies of professional hockey to know that after last night's disaster the coach
needs to be fired and a big trade is inevitable . If the Bruin's want to save this season they need to trade Pasta and Bergeron and maybe throw in Marchand as a sweetener to get a primo goon .

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's funny, in soccer all major leagues are happy to have ties in their regular season games, but in knockout tournaments like the World Cup they use shootouts to determine the outcome of sometimes hugely important games. Complete opposite of the NHL which employs the shootout in the regular season but won't go near it for the serious stuff in the playoffs.

I much prefer the hockey model. I find it infuriating in soccer that major games like World Cup and Champions League finals are often decided by a gimmick contest that proves absolutely nothing about which team is actually better at playing football. In the NHL, I agree with those who've suggested that regular games should be determined either by a continuous 3 on 3 OT until someone scores, or one capped at 10 mins after which a tie is declared. That would be better to me than a shootout which is more a skills/luck comp than actual hockey.

However I am very glad that the league at least has the good sense to leave shootouts in the regular 82 and keep the postseason game pure. I can live with that.

Honestly think there is more luck involved in actual hockey than in the shootout.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Am I the only one on this board that has a full understanding of the intricacies of professional hockey to know that after last night's disaster the coach
needs to be fired and a big trade is inevitable . If the Bruin's want to save this season they need to trade Pasta and Bergeron and maybe throw in Marchand as a sweetener to get a primo goon .
And get rid of those bums on D, particularly McAvoy and Lindholm.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

DC4B7AFA-850B-473D-94C4-85B8DE30AE63.gif

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Honestly think there is more luck involved in actual hockey than in the shootout.

That's probably true. Counter argument would be that the essence of hockey is multiple guys on the ice for each team trying to put the puck in the net as a collective through a combination of skill and yes, often a little luck. 3 on 3 at least is an approximation of this, although with the luck/chance factor enhanced. The shootout has less luck involved but also moves further away from the core aspects of the game.

As I said, I don't hate shootouts, and they can be exciting, but my preference if I had a choice on how to decide a winner would just be a longer OT. I'd be astonished if many 3 on 3s went beyond 10-15 mins tops without a goal scored if they were allowed to run that long.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
I find it funny fans keep saying they are fine with making OT longer, but I'd wager the players wouldn't be. Especially at 3 on 3. People keep ignoring how physically taxing 3 on 3 hockey is.
Good point. I’d actually be fine with a 10 minute 5 on 5 OT.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Yeah, the shootout blows. I'm not saying that because the Bruins are brutal at it, it just sucks in general.

You can have an absolutely action packed 3-3 with chance after chance and then as soon as that buzzer sounds for a shootout it's like hockey blue balls.

10 minute 3-3, if it's tied after 10 mins, you deserve the tie.
You read my mind on the 10 minute 3 on 3 OT

..and with the time it takes to set up for the shootout and get a final result the 10 minute OT might already be over either by a goal or end of time

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I find it funny fans keep saying they are fine with making OT longer, but I'd wager the players wouldn't be. Especially at 3 on 3. People keep ignoring how physically taxing 3 on 3 hockey is.
with the 5 minutes (or less) of 3-on-3, teams basically only use their top 2 lines and top 2 d-men. so those guys get pretty worn out. But if 10 minutes was a possibility 3rd liners and another D-man would need to get put out more often, which would lead to more mismatches, which would lead to more games ending

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
with the 5 minutes (or less) of 3-on-3, teams basically only use their top 2 lines and top 2 d-men. so those guys get pretty worn out. But if 10 minutes was a possibility 3rd liners and another D-man would need to get put out more often, which would lead to more mismatches, which would lead to more games ending
Bingo

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Reilly Smith is one of those “Why the heck didn’t he play that way in Boston” kind of players that bug me. Blake Wheeler, ...
Some players may just need more time to develop and/or are a better fit in a different system with a coach who gets them to play to their strengths, and some might need to get traded to light a fire under their ass

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If Smith was here when Julien was replaced by Cassidy, he would've blossomed offensively.

That was a horrendous trade. Not to speak ill of the dead, but Jimmy Hayes was never a good NHLer. Sweeney just saw size and that he was a local boy and got enamored with the player. I know half of it was moving Savard's contract to maneuver the cap better, but even then it was a very dumb trade.

Reactions: Kegs

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
If Smith was here when Julien was replaced by Cassidy, he would've blossomed offensively.

That was a horrendous trade. Not to speak ill of the dead, but Jimmy Hayes was never a good NHLer. Sweeney just saw size and that he was a local boy and got enamored with the player. I know half of it was moving Savard's contract to maneuver the cap better, but even then it was a very dumb trade.
One of those trades where he was trying to look like an ingenious hero bringing back a local

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You could also say having more 3 on 3 OT ice time for lesser-skilled players will result in more blown scoring chances. Works both ways.

Bottom line for me.....the current format is working just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Thank you. Thompson was damn good.

This is what often happens with rookie goaltenders who break big. They're so young, they don't know what they don't know, and they don't particularly care. A fine way to begin a career.

Ask Lennon & McCartney, neither of whom could read music. Needle in the red? So what? Tape backward on Rain? Stylus jumping from heavy bass on the A-Side, Paperback Writer? Lead guitar recorded backward and then transcribed note for note on "I'm Only Sleeping?"

"Tomorrow Never Knows," anyone?

"Penny Lane"/ Strawberry Fields Forever"?

Pepper.

The Lab Rats at EMI were Not Amused.

Thankfully, the estimable George Martin possessed the skill to translate the music they heard in their heads onto vinyl. The Beatles were extremely lucky to have him in the producer's chair.
Not sure if the analogy holds up, but I applaud any post that turns the conversation from pro wrestling to the Beatles.

Reactions: GordonHowe

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
3 on 3 is a skills competition, too. We all need to get over it.

But it's not an individual skills competition. It's closer to the essence of a team sport.

Here's my suggestion. After regulation tie:
1) 10-minute 3-on-3 OT
2) Puck juggling competition
3) Bake-off or Mustache contest (home team decides)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad