Post-Game Talk: GAME 24 - The home winning streak ends in a shootout - Vegas 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I find the shootout to be a major affront whether I am home or at the rink. Without passing, I think you're too far outside of the spirit of the game. Keeping it around for 17 years means little. Mistakes have gone on much longer in this world and I fully expect this one to continue.

Not even the often-maligned NBA resorts to a shooting contest or a game of one-on-one. The NFL allows ties and the NHL should as well. I believe they should play something closer to 15 minutes of OT to make an NHL tie as rare as an NFL tie.

Great 65 minute game between two top teams. Worth the money on that alone. The Bruins have kept themselves in all but one game this season. That's what feels unprecedented.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Bruins power play is 2nd in the league.

Bruins put 43 shots on goal. They weren't all perfect shot opportunities.

Sure, lets have triple OT games in the regular season.
No…but I’m fine with a 10 minute OT, and if necessary tie. Do other professional sports end ties with a skills competition? Home run competition baseball…free throws in BBall? There’s nothing wrong with a tie.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
No…but I’m fine with a 10 minute OT, and if necessary tie. Do other professional sports end ties with a skills competition? Home run competition baseball…free throws in BBall? There’s nothing wrong with a tie.
blame the IHL for the shootout, becoming the Norm...... this is why you don't see it utilized in the Stanley Cup Playoffs..... which would you want to end faster a 7 OT RS Game or a 7 OT SC Playoff game..... remember the days of a game on the EC stretching to 2 AM or later (Islanders/Capitals ring bells to anyone, the Pat LaFontaine GW)

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
blame the IHL for the shootout, becoming the Norm...... this is why you don't see it utilized in the Stanley Cup Playoffs..... which would you want to end faster a 7 OT RS Game or a 7 OT SC Playoff game..... remember the days of a game on the EC stretching to 2 AM or later (Islanders/Capitals ring bells to anyone, the Pat LaFontaine GW)
They said a 10 minute OT which I agree with, idk what the 2nd half of your post has to do with the 1st half

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I find it funny fans keep saying they are fine with making OT longer, but I'd wager the players wouldn't be. Especially at 3 on 3. People keep ignoring how physically taxing 3 on 3 hockey is.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
All drama series need to finish in 3 seasons. After that, they are just trotting the characters out there for more money. I didn't finish Breaking Bad, Dexter, Californication, Walking Dead, etc. etc. Sitcoms are a bit different as they are only about characters and not story. Breaking Bad's story wasn't the problem, it's just we got so much story arc and character change the first two seasons that after that, it felt like a let down. I prefer the British way, 1-3 seasons of a drama, tell your story and move on.

I did stick with Dexter, though it remained a mystery as to why so many serial killers and baddies called Miami home. Funny how everything happens wherever a series is located.

I liked the cast, especially Jennifer Carpenter (sister Deb), David Zayas (Angel), and C.S. Lee (Masuka). Erik King as Doakes was one scary fellow.

Watched one and a half episodes of the "reboot" and may check again.

A favorite scene of the unflappable Mr. Morgan,

Reactions: TorontLoL 67

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I find it funny fans keep saying they are fine with making OT longer, but I'd wager the players wouldn't be. Especially at 3 on 3. People keep ignoring how physically taxing 3 on 3 hockey is.
Well the players and coaches can deal with it and one team will likely score.
Question is, would you rather that or the skill comp after the 5 minute OT?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Great post. If most of our losses come at the hands of a fantastic goalie I’m ok with that.

Thank you. Thompson was damn good.

This is what often happens with rookie goaltenders who break big. They're so young, they don't know what they don't know, and they don't particularly care. A fine way to begin a career.

Ask Lennon & McCartney, neither of whom could read music. Needle in the red? So what? Tape backward on Rain? Stylus jumping from heavy bass on the A-Side, Paperback Writer? Lead guitar recorded backward and then transcribed note for note on "I'm Only Sleeping?"

"Tomorrow Never Knows," anyone?

"Penny Lane"/ Strawberry Fields Forever"?

Pepper.

The Lab Rats at EMI were Not Amused.

Thankfully, the estimable George Martin possessed the skill to translate the music they heard in their heads onto vinyl. The Beatles were extremely lucky to have him in the producer's chair.

Reactions: Tbaybruin and BMC

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
In the aftermath of some harshness online yesterday towards him, I was happy for Bruce; don't even remember what he looks like smiling. ;)

Seriously - was there really any question he'd receive a video tribute? The crowd was appreciative and Bruce was very emotional.

Coaches make great scapegoats, and I don't fault Cassidy for the 2019 Final. Marchand made possibly the worst line change in league history, and as much as I love Rask, part of his legacy is getting outplayed by Jordan Binnington at home in the biggest game of his life. Sure, Bruce didn't whine to the refs, but neither did Julien in 2011. It's called dignity.

And let's be honest - EVERY coach has former players that dislike him. So props to the crowd last night and Bruce - it was handled with lots of class.

As for shootouts, after 65 minutes, deal with it. I don't hate the shootout, just hate how inept the B's high end skill is in it. With as many points as they've racked up, it's almost comical.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
In the aftermath of some harshness online yesterday towards him, I was happy for Bruce; don't even remember what he looks like smiling. ;)

Seriously - was there really any question he'd receive a video tribute? The crowd was appreciative and Bruce was very emotional.

Coaches make great scapegoats, and I don't fault Cassidy for the 2019 Final. Marchand made possibly the worst line change in league history, and as much as I love Rask, part of his legacy is getting outplayed by Jordan Binnington at home in the biggest game of his life. Sure, Bruce didn't whine to the refs, but neither did Julien in 2011. It's called dignity.

And let's be honest - EVERY coach has former players that dislike him. So props to the crowd last night and Bruce - it was handled with lots of class.

As for shootouts, after 65 minutes, deal with it. I don't hate the shootout, just hate how inept the B's high end skill is in it. With as many points as they've racked up, it's almost comical.
binnington.lol.
guy is such a skid.
cant believe we lost 3 home games to him

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
and got a point. Not the end of the world.
far from it friend, I would have liked the B`s to have started the game on time as many here would who were at the game but can`t have it for all 82 games. Knights will be better next game with Eichel and Pet back

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well the players and coaches can deal with it and one team will likely score.
Question is, would you rather that or the skill comp after the 5 minute OT?

I'm fine with the shoot-out after OT in a regular season game. Both teams already get a point (just like everyone's precious ties). I never want to see it in the playoffs. But if it saves the wear-and-tear on the top players not playing 10 minutes of 3-on-3 OT and having a shoot-out after 5 mins, I would prefer that.

To be honest the only change I've wanted to see since the shoot-out came into being back in 2005 is increasing the minimum number of shooters from 3 to 5. I guess you could say I'm a fan of the shoot-out.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Can brighter hockey minds than mine explain why the Bruins *slowed down their play and passing* upon receiving the two man advantage? It was strange to see.

Guessing the tactic centered around playing the angles with all of that space out there.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE watching the current game that ended last night, would still be playing currently
in a ten minute 3 v 3 the best players won`t have enough time to get their stamina back to get tossed out onto the ice as much, lesser talents will play, mistakes made, wind up in the net IMO

think I read a stat that only 12% of games that head into OT then go to a shootout

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
in a ten minute 3 v 3 the best players won`t have enough time to get their stamina back to get tossed out onto the ice as much, lesser talents will play, mistakes made, wind up in the net IMO

think I read a stat that only 12% of games that head into OT then go to a shootout
remember the AHL adapted to this rule 20 years ago..... when it expanded to the midwest

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's funny, in soccer all major leagues are happy to have ties in their regular season games, but in knockout tournaments like the World Cup they use shootouts to determine the outcome of sometimes hugely important games. Complete opposite of the NHL which employs the shootout in the regular season but won't go near it for the serious stuff in the playoffs.

I much prefer the hockey model. I find it infuriating in soccer that major games like World Cup and Champions League finals are often decided by a gimmick contest that proves absolutely nothing about which team is actually better at playing football. In the NHL, I agree with those who've suggested that regular games should be determined either by a continuous 3 on 3 OT until someone scores, or one capped at 10 mins after which a tie is declared. That would be better to me than a shootout which is more a skills/luck comp than actual hockey.

However I am very glad that the league at least has the good sense to leave shootouts in the regular 82 and keep the postseason game pure. I can live with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad