GDT: GAME 24 | Senators @ Blues | Kasty Goes West | Thu Dec 14 2023, 8PM | TSN5, RDS

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
On paper, the roster construction is pretty damn good. Two potent lines up front and a solid, mobile D that should be shutting teams down. IN reality, we aren't getting nearly enough from our two young centers, and the back end has been mediocre to bad. The goalies have to stand on their heads to get us wins and they aren't capable of doing that, at least not consistently.

I think it's a combination of leadership behind the bench, leadership on the ice, inexperience throughout, and a lack of toughness. While Korps and Forsberg have looked good on some nights, they've been shitty other nights and have cost us games this season.

I'm not convinced a new head coach is going to solve the problem and vault us into a 10 game winning streak like the Oilers. The truth is, the season is most likely lost at this point so why even bother making a change?

Reactions: Dionysus

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The scary thing is that out of the whole team one guy has taken a step up from last year ( Joseph but he had no where to go but up) . Sanderson is the only guy that's playing to the level he did at the end of last season. Everyone else has regressed. And is Norris the most unnoticeable $8 million player in the league? He scores a goal now and then but literally makes no impact shift to shift.

Reactions: DrEasy

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
That fourth goal for STL is still replaying in my mind today. The two Blues players arrived into our zone and then stopped moving yet were still able to play catch with the puck totally unimpeded in our zone for what seemed like an eternity. They had enough time to pitch tents, set up campfire and get the smores half eaten. I don't know whether to laugh or cry so I try to laugh but then I get mad as it seems nothing is being done to correct anything that goes on. To me there is no indication they are doing anything but 'burning the tape' after games and attributing it to bad luck. If there are any teaching moments happening it's either a piss poor strategy in place OR the players are just tuning everything out. Just brutal stuff.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Maybe management realizes the roster is poorly constructed and figure coaching change bump isn’t worth it.

Those old Oilers teams had talent, just a terrible roster construction.

You're right it's silly of me to think coaching has any effect on how the players play on the ice. We must gut out the roster and give DJ another shot!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Maybe management realizes the roster is poorly constructed and figure coaching change bump isn’t worth it.
This where I'm at.

This roster is not underachieving, it just isn't very good.

Once you accept that, keeping DJ as a deadman walking makes more sense.

You're right it's silly of me to think coaching has any effect on how the players play on the ice. We must gut out the roster and give DJ another shot!
No. We need to gut the roster and change the coach.

In order to do it right, there needs to be an honest assessment of what we have, who isn't worth keeping, who is, what needs to be added and who should be the GM and the coach based on all that.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The roster is very good, talent wise.

They are just the mentally softest bunch of junior players playing against professionals.

And they don't listen to DJ, Martin, or Alfredsson because they already got paid and are only happy playing their stupid junior game because they don't care about wins they care about their personal statlines and playing easy video game hockey.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This where I'm at.

In order to do it right, there needs to be an honest assessment of what we have, who isn't worth keeping, who is, what needs to be added and who should be the GM and the coach based on all that.
How can you assess a roster when it's been at rock bottom?

The only thing this org hasn't tried is a new coach. Why make rash decisions when the simplest and most often used course of action hasn't been done yet?

Makes no sense to me

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This where I'm at.

Gut the roster? How can you even evaluate it until they see them under another coach? All this team has done is turn over the roster for 7 years. There's no continuity at all. Look at how many players have moved on and contributed and won other places. Enough with the trades. Dorion made knee jerk reactions over and over again i dont want that. I want stability. I want an actual plan.

This team was run by a guy that didn't even play Jr C hockey. Who fired anyone that he felt threatened by. Who lied about lies and would never take responsibility for anything. Changing that type of culture is hard. It won't happen over night. When an organization is run by someone like that for that long its rotten.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How can you assess a roster when it's been at rock bottom?

The only thing this org hasn't tried is a new coach. Why make rash decisions when the simplest and most often used course of action hasn't been done yet?

Makes no sense to me
Too many lefties, way too soft and poor depth.

These are big problems that a coach can't do anything about.

I don't know for sure but I am confident a new coach wouldn't achieve much.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The roster is very good, talent wise.

They are just the mentally softest bunch of junior players playing against professionals.

And they don't listen to DJ, Martin, or Alfredsson because they already got paid and are only happy playing their stupid junior game because they don't care about wins they care about their personal statlines and playing easy video game hockey.
How quickly do you think professionals can change their approach in unison? It doesnt happen over night. Saying they aren't listening to Alfredsson and Martin is outrageous. Talk about not understanding the process.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Gut the roster? How can you even evaluate it until they see them under another coach? All this team has done is turn over the roster for 7 years. There's no continuity at all. Look at how many players have moved on and contributed and won other places. Enough with the trades. Dorion made knee jerk reactions over and over again i dont want that. I want stability. I want an actual plan.

This team was run by a guy that didn't even play Jr C hockey. Who fired anyone that he felt threatened by. Who lied about lies and would never take responsibility for anything. Changing that type of culture is hard. It won't happen over night. When an organization is run by someone like that for that long its rotten.
This is a Dorion assembled roster and Dorion was a first ballot Hall of Shame GM.

It seems safe to assume that what he thought was a good roster is not, in fact good.

If the roster isn't good, then it needs major rework. Good players, bad team.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
How quickly do you think professionals can change their approach in unison? It doesnt happen over night. Saying they aren't listening to Alfredsson and Martin is outrageous. Talk about not understanding the process.

Professionals should have a professional approach all the time. Especially when they sign 60 mill contracts.

This is the least professional acting team in the league and in sens history.

Bunch of frat boys who instead of focusing and doing the hard things to win just like whining and throwing tantrums.

Like that's what it takes to win in professional sports.

New coach comes in he's gonna have the same headache as DJ, Martin and Alfredsson.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Yeah turned that one off after the first period and watched fargo.

Knew how it was going to end
I turned it off after the second and watched Fargo. I thought they were going to comeback after Brady's fight but wow, this team is just awful

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Except to his credit Brady. Who only tries to do his job and never more.

Cherry pick and float on the backcheck and get into a fight and call it leadership.
They live in a fairy tale. Don’t want boos and think a fight and some yelling will get you a win. No guys this is the best league in the world. You need to be good. Not just fired up.

Castrating is a bit more than what I have in mind haha.

I do think the roster needs to be overhauled but I'm not sure who needs to go.
There’s just nothing to overhaul. These players can make the playoffs. Like these aren’t lofty goals. Fight for the playoffs. Make the playoffs. This team is capable.

DJ. Could be capable of making the playoffs too.

But these players + DJ cannot and will not make the playoffs.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
New coach is needed but it looks like it will come next year. Dorion built a roster that can’t play the style he wanted and his coach’s style demands.

Staios needs to pick his stylistic preference and get a GM and coach to fit that style and the make appropriate roster adjustments.

• Love
Reactions: LiseL

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There’s just nothing to overhaul. These players can make the playoffs. Like these aren’t lofty goals. Fight for the playoffs. Make the playoffs. This team is capable.
What are you working off of to make such an assumption?

The only time this roster hasn't sucked is when the pressure is off. As soon as there is any pressure, they fall apart.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This where I'm at.

No offense but this is really dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad