GDT: GAME 24 | Senators @ Blues | Kasty Goes West | Thu Dec 14 2023, 8PM | TSN5, RDS

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Expectations appear to have been too high. Mine included. This roster as constructed has too many flaws.

I was hopeful that the defense would be better, the top-end forwards would make up for the lack of depth, and the team would find an identity.

Not so up to this point. The haphazard roster construction and string of home-run attempt trades has left a shaky foundation that needs serious shoring up.

I hear ya. I mean if only there was one person in charge of the team's play on the ice who could be held responsible, and replaced. But that's just a fairytale.

Sadly we must continue on in our fated condition of being losers with no recourse for improvement.

Things will turn around. When is a big question though! Every loss pushes that breakthrough further into the future.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Expectations appear to have been too high. Mine included. This roster as constructed has too many flaws.

I was hopeful that the defense would be better, the top-end forwards would make up for the lack of depth, and the team would find an identity.

Not so up to this point. The haphazard roster construction and string of home-run attempt trades has left a shaky foundation that needs serious shoring up.

Things will turn around. When is a big question though! Every loss pushes that breakthrough further into the future.
Most things turn around eventually. Not anytime soon tho.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Yep
Poorly assembled roster by a moron who couldn't check all the details of a trade after years as assist-GM and GM.
The charmin softness is everywhere

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I really expected Stuetzle to step up. That hasn't happened. I can't remember where I first heard it but some coach said about young guys "you have to coach the junior out of them" and that hasn't happened with Stuetzle

Idk wtf has happened with Chychrun. He's got a lengthy track record. Unfortunately that record includes a lot of injuries. But he's been credited with well over 1 hit per game during his career. This year? I don't know that I've seen a softer 220 pound player. If this is how he needs to play to stay healthy, his value is limited in this league. He came with great fanfare. Talked the talk. And he's been a muffin this year.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah turned that one off after the first period and watched fargo.

Knew how it was going to end

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yep
Poorly assembled roster by a moron who couldn't check all the details of a trade after years as assist-GM and GM.
The charmin softness is everywhere
The thing is yeah maybe the roster isn’t constructed perfectly. But they’re talent on the roster. Enough talent where you shouldn’t be like “wow we are atrocious” every other night.

Constructed well enough to win the cup /make serious noice in the playoffs? Maybe not. Constructed well enough to not be terrible? Yes I think so. (This isn’t a defence of Dorion)

Reactions: Alex1234

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Did management really think things would improve by not firing DJ? Like, you kind of have to be an idiot not to see this coming.
Maybe management realizes the roster is poorly constructed and figure coaching change bump isn’t worth it.

The thing is yeah maybe the roster isn’t constructed perfectly. But they’re talent on the roster. Enough talent where you shouldn’t be like “wow we are atrocious” every other night.

Constructed well enough to win the cup /make serious noice in the playoffs? Maybe not. Constructed well enough to not be terrible? Yes I think so. (This isn’t a defence of Dorion)
Those old Oilers teams had talent, just a terrible roster construction.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Yea I mean I can get the roster isn't constructed well but if you have a good coach that coaches them to the best of their abilities then you can judge performance a bit easier when everyone is in sync. When everyone is out of sync and looks generally bad how do you pin point the area of needs for improvement?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

They are less than the sum of their parts. Throughout the DJ era many players seem to regress defensively under his tutelage. These have been a constant under DJ. He needs to go immediately.

Reactions: Alex1234

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe management realizes the roster is poorly constructed and figure coaching change bump isn’t worth it.

Those old Oilers teams had talent, just a terrible roster construction.
They really weren’t that talented. They had talent at the top of the roster. Atrocious depth and bad d. We have a talented top 6. Talented third line. Very talented top 4.

Again. Not saying we’re good. But we shouldn’t look like we did yesterday and much as we do

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They really weren’t that talented. They had talent at the top of the roster. Atrocious depth and bad d. We have a talented top 6. Talented third line. Very talented top 4.

Again. Not saying we’re good. But we shouldn’t look like we did yesterday and much as we do
I disagree, our D on paper looks good but it’s way too much of redundant pieces. It’s apparent when you see how hard it is to get to the middle of the ice against big solid D corps and big veteran centres.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
The guys on the TSN broadcast were harping on Korpi at one point tonight... 4 goals allowed in 7 starts this season or something like that. And right away I think of Gus the Bus and Cam Talbot and how they look and play in the net once they left Ottawa. No system, no coaching. Our goalies are left hanging to dry on a consistent basis.

The old saying was "a goaltender needs to make the right save at the right time." So what happens when he makes that save and the team still gets hemmed in the defensive zone for 3 minutes + failing to gain position or even deflect the puck out of the zone? What the f*** do you expect at that point?

But hey, "Hard to play against" "Battle for pucks" etc. Wisdom spoken by the 6th longest tenured coach in the NHL must mean something. Right?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I hear ya. I mean if only there was one person in charge of the team's play on the ice who could be held responsible, and replaced. But that's just a fairytale.

Sadly we must continue on in our fated condition of being losers with no recourse for improvement.
But you don't understand, management want to be best in class. Isn't that enough for us fans? Don't worry about firing the coach because you couldn't possibly hire an interim coach while you finish hiring a GM and interviewing coaching candidates. That would be unfathomable in the NHL. Somehow more unfathomable than throwing away an entire season watching a team full of talent play like absolute muppets.

The worst part is, the opportunity for fans to vote with their dollars are so far and few for the next little while.

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I disagree, our D on paper looks good but it’s way too much of redundant pieces. It’s apparent when you see how hard it is to get to the middle of the ice against big solid D corps and big veteran centres.
Our D on paper looks good enough to not be as terrible as it is.

Are they redundant? Maybe. But they also have no clue where to be or what to do.

it’s easy to get to the middle of ice against them..sure. I don’t disagree. But it’s also easy to do EVERYTHING else against them as well. There’s bigger issues than “the top 4 is talented but the players are redundant”. That’s a fine tune thing

Lots of teams aren’t built perfectly…they still manage to not be as bad as we are nearly every game.

Do you think a big RD and a defensive center actually does anything in this team? It’s like last year “oh when we get another top 4 d”. “Oh when Norris comes back”.

They do not help this team. Nobody knows what to don or where to be. And their mentality sucks. They’re fragile. And I think that comes from not knowing what to do. And not knowing where to be.

You can teach a redundant defensive core to play competent Defence.

“Redundant defence” is an argument for why you can’t get over the hump. Why you can’t win a cup. I’m sorry but redundancy is not an argument for being atrocious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Not enough fight in this team...Tarasenko I thought would be more sparked to face his old team..floated last night, and -2...Batherson 1 shot, 0 hits, Norris 1 shot, 1 hit... where is the accountability DJ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad