GDT: Game 24 | Edmonton Oilers @ Detroit Red Wings| 7:30 PM EST | FS-D

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Howard's got a 91.5 SV% now. That sure got up to a decent level in a hurry. 15th overall and 9th out of the starters. Not too shabby..

CloneHakanPlease*

Howard's got a 91.5 SV% now. That sure got up to a decent level in a hurry. 15th overall and 9th out of the starters. Not too shabby..

Howard has had maybe three bad games all season. Our defense is just making up for the damage they inflicted earlier on the year.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It helps a lot and those numbers look more Howard's like.
0.875 EVS GAA over the past 8 games. Not bad, not bad at all.
That's great, even for Babcock.
Howard has had maybe three bad games all season. Our defense is just making up for the damage they inflicted earlier on the year.
Both Howard and defence have been better lately.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
was abdelkader's only the 2nd EN goal of the season?

zetterberg had 1 vs STL, but i don't remember another.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Howie played well, but D managed to keep Oils at bay. One of the best games by our D. Loved Kindl jumping up with the puck. Rookies were great. Z needs to get on the scoreboard. Brunner needs to do/learn some more dekes other than the one he always tries one-on-one. Well, earned win. Abdelkader with a great goal, awesome individual effort. Goalie had absolutely no chance, Abby beat him fair and square.

Good by Lindholm if we keep playing this way :).

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
Kindl had a great game.

If his recent play hasn't earned him the right to stay by now, I don't know what will. We knew all along the guy had the tools; looks likes he's finally starting to put it all together. Amazing what confidence - and a little ice time - can do.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Kindl had a great game.

If his recent play hasn't earned him the right to stay by now, I don't know what will. We knew all along the guy had the tools; looks likes he's finally starting to put it all together. Amazing what confidence - and a little ice time - can do.

Kindl is tied for 10th in the league in +/- and has 6 points in 17 games.
Quincey is tied for 4th in the league in +/-

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Howie played well, but D managed to keep Oils at bay. One of the best games by our D. Loved Kindl jumping up with the puck. Rookies were great. Z needs to get on the scoreboard. Brunner needs to do/learn some more dekes other than the one he always tries one-on-one. Well, earned win. Abdelkader with a great goal, awesome individual effort. Goalie had absolutely no chance, Abby beat him fair and square.

Good by Lindholm if we keep playing this way :).
should trade up to get him

0.875 EVS GAA over the past 8 games. Not bad, not bad at all.
currently tied for 7th in GAA with habs (2.46), and 2nd in 5 on 5 GF/GA (1.38) behind only chicago (1.59).

i think special teams have improved, but still bottom 10 in both. would be a good idea, imo, to change PP's.

i would also be interested in some changes in top 6. maybe move franzen with datsyuk.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Why was Tatar and Andersson benched much of the 3rd period? I thought they played a great game so why not continue with them in the third?

We won. Two points. TWO. MORE. POINTS. W in the win column. We got a shutout. We scored 3 goals. DOES IT FRIGGIN MATTER?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Also, no penalty for detroit this game? one last game? if you remove the puck-over-glass-penalties against chicago... Detroit doesn't take many penalties these days... good

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I have come to the conclusion that Babcock continued to play Cleary and Abs so much hoping they will get injured. It appears Tartar and Andersson didn't play much in the despite their recent play. Babcock maybe using some reverse psychology techniques and hoping the injury bug catches one of them. I really have no other explanation at this point. The way the defense is playing and the way we are winning at this point I will accept the points and say LETS GO REDWINGS proudly while living in the Tampa Area.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Why was Tatar and Andersson benched much of the 3rd period? I thought they played a great game so why not continue with them in the third?

Because the game was 2-0 not 3-0 or 4-0. How many games have we lost where we have been up 2-0 for them to comeback and win?

Play our most experienced and best defensive forwards and make sure we win. We cant afford to give games away with how close the standings are.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Because the game was 2-0 not 3-0 or 4-0. How many games have we lost where we have been up 2-0 for them to comeback and win?

Play our most experienced and best defensive forwards and make sure we win. We cant afford to give games away with how close the standings are.

Like Dan Cleary? Mr. Turnover? Mr. Slow.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It's pretty known at this point Babcock doesn't trust Tatar to take a defensive shift. He'll play him as long as we need offense. I think he trusts Andersson a little more but if you remove one player out of the rotation you remove a line.

I disagree with that coaching(having the puck in the offensive zone is the best defense and Andersson's line is very good at that), but that's the reasoning.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Edmonton shortened their bench and Babcock wasn't going to let their top 2 lines see the ice often without one of 13 or 40 on the ice. If it was a 3 or 4 goal lead it's one thing, but you can't dick around with a 2-goal lead anymore and points being so important.

It was the correct coaching move from a matchup standpoint.

RedWingsNow*

It's pretty known at this point Babcock doesn't trust Tatar to take a defensive shift. He'll play him as long as we need offense. I think he trusts Andersson a little more but if you remove one player out of the rotation you remove a line.

I disagree with that coaching(having the puck in the offensive zone is the best defense and Andersson's line is very good at that), but that's the reasoning.

The Red Wings don't have a "prevent" defense.

Hockey is a two-way game. When you start focusing on one-way... good luck.

RedWingsNow*

So my boys Smitty and Q are doing well?

:naughty:

Smitty looks very green.
Quincey looks like a Lilja clone. They've completely taken offense out of his job description. He doesn't do any passes up the middle -- everything is up the boards.

they've minimized the damage he can create.
The other mind boggling stat from Quincey -- 10 Hits --

It's almost like Babcock pulled Quincey in and said .. Look dummy... you're not Bobby Orr and you're not Scott Stevens. No more passing. No more hitting. Just get the puck out of our end and don't take any penalties, or you're the next healthy scratch

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Smitty looks very green.
Quincey looks like a Lilja clone. They've completely taken offense out of his job description. He doesn't do any passes up the middle -- everything is up the boards.

they've minimized the damage he can create.
The other mind boggling stat from Quincey -- 10 Hits --

It's almost like Babcock pulled Quincey in and said .. Look dummy... you're not Bobby Orr and you're not Scott Stevens. No more passing. No more hitting. Just get the puck out of our end and don't take any penalties, or you're the next healthy scratch
Sounds like a 800k defenseman to me... oh wait Quincey gets 3.75M :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad