GDT: Game 24: Coyotes @ Kings - 2pm(AZ Time) - FSA+ - Matinee Idols

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Less concerned about the high number of shots the Kings produced. Although they did have a few good scoring chances up close, they put up so many shots from far out that, yes, are on goal, but the odds of them going in are so slim it's essentially a change in possession via easy redirecton by Raanta into a safe place or a face-off. They didn't do a good job putting up any screens or deflecting pucks, so those shots are like 1% chance to go in. Tocchet's system is similar, in that respect, to how the Islanders play, where giving up worthless shots from the outside is fine as not all shots are created equal and it turns into a chance to turn it around and go the other way.

On the other hand, the offense for the Coyotes itself was not up to snuff. They hardly generated any sustained cycle or o-zone time. So this game was less of Raanta needing to stand on his head as the stats might initially show, and more of the team needing to up the effort overall as there was no need for the game to be this close score-wise.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Raanta is why we won last night for sure, and goal tending has been great but I don't think that is the sole reason we have a good record. Its just competitive in the NHL. Both the Kings and the Wild looked like good teams when we played them, yet they are bottom of the standings, shows you the parity.

Our forecheck and pressure have been off the last few games. TML was playing inspired for their new coach and LA has DD, best D man in the NHL, and decent puck movers. We might have taken the Kings lightly. If this pattern continues of being way out shot and out played, I would be more concerned. We won't take the first place Oilers lightly, I expect better play tonight.
Ok, tell me what are the reason or reasons for our record. I'm glad you brought up the Wild and the Kings. Look at their goal tending. Terrible, in the toilet, crappy, and that's why they are at the bottom of the standings. Same goes for the Flames and even Colorado who is struggling at times. Look at Nashvile and their goal tending. Why are they struggling? Crappy goal tending AND as piss poor PP. We have more talent on this team than any team in the past ten years, but none are super stars, and if we are being honest none are first line players. I would hate to see where we would be at if we had the goal tending of the teams just mentioned. Raanta and Kuemper are our McDavid / Draisaitl, Crosby / Malkin. They make everyone around them look better.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Less concerned about the high number of shots the Kings produced. Although they did have a few good scoring chances up close, they put up so many shots from far out that, yes, are on goal, but the odds of them going in are so slim it's essentially a change in possession via easy redirecton by Raanta into a safe place or a face-off. They didn't do a good job putting up any screens or deflecting pucks, so those shots are like 1% chance to go in. Tocchet's system is similar, in that respect, to how the Islanders play, where giving up worthless shots from the outside is fine as not all shots are created equal and it turns into a chance to turn it around and go the other way.

On the other hand, the offense for the Coyotes itself was not up to snuff. They hardly generated any sustained cycle or o-zone time. So this game was less of Raanta needing to stand on his head as the stats might initially show, and more of the team needing to up the effort overall as there was no need for the game to be this close score-wise.
I agree with this. Raanta didn't have to stand on his head, but he was still our best player.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Ok, tell me what are the reason or reasons for our record. I'm glad you brought up the Wild and the Kings. Look at their goal tending. Terrible, in the toilet, crappy, and that's why they are at the bottom of the standings. Same goes for the Flames and even Colorado who is struggling at times. Look at Nashvile and their goal tending. Why are they struggling? Crappy goal tending AND as piss poor PP. We have more talent on this team than any team in the past ten years, but none are super stars, and if we are being honest none are first line players. I would hate to see where we would be at if we had the goal tending of the teams just mentioned. Raanta and Kuemper are our McDavid / Draisaitl, Crosby / Malkin. They make everyone around them look better.
Team D/forecheck/Goal tending. Any team with bad goal tending won't do well. The problems in LA/Minni are much bigger than just poor goal tending. Generally we are playing better than or with our opponent, gives us a chance to win. This is unlike the Smith years where we would be out shot by a large margin and out played by a large margin and still win, like last night. That has been the exception, this year is different, not 100% on our goal tenders.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Team D/forecheck/Goal tending. Any team with bad goal tending won't do well. The problems in LA/Minni are much bigger than just poor goal tending. Generally we are playing better than or with our opponent, gives us a chance to win. This is unlike the Smith years where we would be out shot by a large margin and out played by a large margin and still win, like last night. That has been the exception, this year is different, not 100% on our goal tenders.
Isn't goal tending part of "team D"? We should be playing other teams better as we have more talent. I never said it's "100% on our goalies", but so far this year they are the main reason for our record. I would love not to rely so heavily on our goalies, but I don't see that changing this year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Isn't goal tending part of "team D"? We should be playing other teams better as we have more talent. I never said it's "100% on our goalies", but so far this year they are the main reason for our record. I would love not to rely so heavily on our goalies, but I don't see that changing this year.
Why should we be playing other teams better? We are on a 100 point pace. I think that is ahead of and not behind expectations. You don't have the lowest GAA in the NHL because of great goal tending alone. We aren't leaving our goalie hung out for the most part versus the Smith years. If it were goal tending alone, our PK would be 31 as well, because the goalie is hung out on the PK constantly, we are mid pack on the PK.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why should we be playing other teams better? We are on a 100 point pace. I think that is ahead of and not behind expectations. You don't have the lowest GAA in the NHL because of great goal tending alone. We aren't leaving our goalie hung out for the most part versus the Smith years. If it were goal tending alone, our PK would be 31 as well, because the goalie is hung out on the PK constantly, we are mid pack on the PK.
I didn't say it was goal tending alone. The five players in front of our goalies deserve credit on many nights, but our goalies deserves more credit. Overall I say we are ahead of expectations, but there are red flags that have to be addressed because if our goal tending falters at all, we don't have the talent to over come it. How many games do you think our goalies won for us because of their play this year?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I said "we should be playing other teams better as we have more talent" was a statement not a question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad