GDT: Game #24: Coyotes @ Blue Jackets (Part Deux) 5pm(AZ time) - FSA

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I didn't bother watching.

How was Perlini?
I didn't watch the whole game, I had the first two periods on while I was cleaning. He looked big and fast, had a few good forechecking moments, one scoring chance he created with his speed. He did the same move he tends to score with in Tucson, fly up right side on his off wing, cut in and shoot. Someone else who watched more intently could give further details maybe.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
.......Columbus really should be a model of what we can be. No true #1C, solid defense (probably a little better than ours but not much), and chock full of feisty wingers with speeds, grit and skill. I hope we look like this in a year or two.

So much fail. What is the common denominator? it can only be skill or coaching. (hint its not really skill) 18 shots is unacceptable. 2 in the 3rd? Dump and chase doesn't work.

Hey guys - Columbus fan in peace. I'm not an expert - never played the game, but have been watching bad Jackets hockey for 16 years now. Just want to share an opinion.

The two quotes above (imo) just don't fit together. The CBJ defense is now doing two things that make all the difference in the world. First they are suppressing shots at an incredible rate. The last 8 games the CBJ have out shot their opponents. They are doing this by lifting sticks, blocking shots and winning puck battles. The forwards track back to help the D-men. The other thing is the spacing when the opponent attempts to enter the zone has been awesome. This is where I disagree with the CBJ defense being "just a little but not much" better.

You probably got sick over the last two games of a O-zone entry, only to see the play turned around and moved back out. That is shot suppression.

The point here is that you just need a couple more players to make this work. You guys have a good foundation coming. You really do. You have guys that can make this work IN-TIME. Look I know how hard it is to sit an watch this. It's not that the coach can't coach. He can. He just needs start with one thing (spacing, puck possession, passing, etc) and tell the team that they either do that one thing or they can take a seat and watch. Do that one thing well, and make it second nature. When they do that well, add something else.

Best of luck. I have always loved your franchise and feel you guys deserve better. starting with the whole arena thing.

My hope is that you guys don't think this post is just to flame or troll. Have always enjoyed reading opponent game threads. Peace - out.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey guys - Columbus fan in peace. I'm not an expert - never played the game, but have been watching bad Jackets hockey for 16 years now. Just want to share an opinion.

The two quotes above (imo) just don't fit together. The CBJ defense is now doing two things that make all the difference in the world. First they are suppressing shots at an incredible rate. The last 8 games the CBJ have out shot their opponents. They are doing this by lifting sticks, blocking shots and winning puck battles. The forwards track back to help the D-men. The other thing is the spacing when the opponent attempts to enter the zone has been awesome. This is where I disagree with the CBJ defense being "just a little but not much" better.

You probably got sick over the last two games of a O-zone entry, only to see the play turned around and moved back out. That is shot suppression.

The point here is that you just need a couple more players to make this work. You guys have a good foundation coming. You really do. You have guys that can make this work IN-TIME. Look I know how hard it is to sit an watch this. It's not that the coach can't coach. He can. He just needs start with one thing (spacing, puck possession, passing, etc) and tell the team that they either do that one thing or they can take a seat and watch. Do that one thing well, and make it second nature. When they do that well, add something else.

Best of luck. I have always loved your franchise and feel you guys deserve better. starting with the whole arena thing.

My hope is that you guys don't think this post is just to flame or troll. Have always enjoyed reading opponent game threads. Peace - out.

Excellent analysis/observation from a guy who (while not using "hockey terms") obviously has a mind for the game. It's too bad you never played!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think that what we are stuck with is veterans who just don't have enough to keep up, manner of speaking.

Big difference between having veterans who play together and keep the energy and team focused vs veterans who may not be able to contribute as much. That former was the 2009-10 team. The latter is our current iteration. Doan even stated in an interview about how his feelings flip-flop, "5 games ago, if you ask about my future, I lean toward hanging them up. Another week, and I am feeling like I am ready and refreshed." No taking away from who he is or what he has done as a person, but we are definitely at a crossroads there.

Growth is happening and will be consistent enough in about two years.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I didn't realize you had to watch all 82 to have an opinion? Have you missed a game? Can we chuck your opinion out the window as a result?

no, and no.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
As far as rebuild timeline, I think it reset when chayka was hired. .

Disagree. Leblanc himself came out with a glowing review of how the rebuild was progressing at the end of last season. Then they canned the guy at the head of it :laugh:

I might give Chayka some benefit of the doubt due to being new to the job but the rest of them aren't getting an extra freebie year from me.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Disagree. Leblanc himself came out with a glowing review of how the rebuild was progressing at the end of last season. Then they canned the guy at the head of it :laugh:

I might give Chayka some benefit of the doubt due to being new to the job but the rest of them aren't getting an extra freebie year from me.

Besides hiring Chayka, the decision to go VERY young signaled to me that we are still early in a rebuild process.

I'm giving DT and GMJC until the 2018/19 season to produce a playoff caliber team (that actually makes the playoffs ;))

If not, time to clean house.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

I believe it was something to the effect of, "... when you look at how fast we've turned around with our rebuild -- if you can call it that, really"

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A team that consists of young inexperienced players. It is inconsistent and exploited by teams that have more experienced and veteran players. You can't have it both ways. Tippet is blamed when we don't play rookies and 2nd year guys as Dino Dave and now when half the team has not been in the league a full three seasons it is his fault that they don't immediately integrate and win.

This narrative is being pushed by people that never watched rebuilding teams pull out of the basement. It sure as hell doesn't look like what we're watching. Veterans are not supposed to be mailing it in. Kids are not supposed to be benched into oblivion when they make a slight mistake, scratched multiple games, or sent down when they are playing well. The team, overall, should not be playing the same ****** dump and chase turtle hockey that Tippett has come to be known for. I think that last point would set in after watching a team coached by Tortorella absolutely shell the Coyotes but I guess not. They should be losing because they're not good enough, not because they're completely and utterly outclassed in play and effort.

DeAngelo is a prime example of this BS run wild. You call up your offensive D and he starts scoring at a pretty good rate, while being a minimal liability on the ice, and being key to the transition game while also making your prized UFA look better. So he gets sent down for his efforts to "work on his defensive game." To me, that's an admittance that Playfair can't coach up D, because DeAngelo is not going to learn how to defend NHL speed or conduct NHL breakouts at the AHL level. He was already playing as expected. Defense, at that point, should be massaged into his game over video and on ice sessions with the coaches. Instead, they just ship his ass to Tucson.

This staff doesn't get the modern NHL or modern management. Chayka probably does, but he has no say in the day to day operations.

At this point I'm just waiting for the big dumb trade because Tippett has already threatened it and that did nothing. Nobody is talking about patience, only how they're "not executing" well enough. This isn't going to end well for most of the prospects.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Veterans are not supposed to be mailing it in...

The good news is that many vets are UFAs next season.

Doan
Vrbata
Hanzal
White
Stone
Michalek

Not saying all these guys are mailing it in, but the veteran presence on this team could change drastically next year.

(Datsyuk and Pronger are also UFA. Can't think of one good thing those guys have done all season. On the other hand, they don't make any mistakes...so there's that. :shakehead)

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Two bulls stood atop a hill.

The younger bull said: "hey Dad, let's run down there and **** one of those cows"

The elder bull replied: "no Son, let's walk down there and **** them all"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad