GDT: Game #24: Coyotes @ Blue Jackets (Part Deux) 5pm(AZ time) - FSA

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
So much fail. What is the common denominator? it can only be skill or coaching. (hint its not really skill) 18 shots is unacceptable. 2 in the 3rd? Dump and chase doesn't work.

It's skill/experience. If you look at this roster and actually think they should be in a playoff spot then idk what to say.....

We are an inexperienced team and looked like one tonight. Inconsistent periods, penalties, turnovers...We can't give a team like Columbus 6 PP attempts and expect a good outcome.

And when I was keeping track of dump ins vs carry ins during during about 10 mins in the 2nd we had 3 dump ins compared to 7 carry ins. We recovered the puck on 0 dump ins, although one was a dump in. Out of the carry ins, 4 were successful. Small sample size I know, but I got distracted with doing other things and gave up on keeping track :laugh:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Not gonna lie. I didn't even finish the game. I left to go buy some shoes about halfway through the game. This team doesn't even peak my interest any more. I'm not even going to bother watching tomorrow either

I'll still follow them and keep an eye out on things. But I'm finding myself doing other things instead of watching the game these days. Last year, though we were bad, it was fun. It was fast. Watching Domi and Duclair skate around was too much fun. This year doesn't feel the same.

I'm totally on board with fire everyone, trade everyone. Sometimes a new voice is needed. That time is now. Pittsburgh did it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pittsburgh has two No. 1 centers. We haven't had one in 16 years.

Didn't need one to make the playoffs in the past, now we suddenly do? Pardon me for not partaking in the "Duchene will solve all our problems" daydream.

This roster isn't worse than last year, yet it manages to be on the ice. There's no progression. He's past his expiration date and everyone can see it. Like Pittsburgh, it's time to acknowledge things aren't working and make a change.

If you want to talk about "ruining" players, leaving a stale coach in place that forces them to meet arbitrary standards is a damn good way to accomplish such a thing.

Last year looks so warm and fuzzy now thanks to their craptastic play this year.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Didn't need one to make the playoffs in the past, now we suddenly do? Pardon me for not partaking in the "Duchene will solve all our problems" daydream.

Duchene won't get us to playoffs, but I think we can all agree that we need someone who can play C on the first line, and we don't have any one signed that can do that.

And prior to 2012 we had no playoff success, in 2012 Smith and Tipp/Burkes coaching carried us. Very lucky. If we want to win a cup we're going to need a 1C.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We don't even have a Lombardi or Riberio or even a Vermette.

We have a broken 2/3C, a 2nd-year winger, a rookie, and an AHLer.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

One of those guys is retired, and we're paying the other two to play for other teams. One was just bought out to make room for the youth. Whose decision was that?

KG

Sep 23, 2010

Craig Morgan said something similar after the last loss on Twitter. Center position is a huge problem.

even if Dvorak ends up being a great NHL center, very few start off that way in the NHL. Just look at Wennberg for CBJ.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

It's time to trade Hanzal, before he gets injured and tanks his value. You can ask for a dump center in return.

There's plenty of 'respectable' 2/3C types to be had out there for minimal value. Ryan Spooner is being shopped, as an example.

There's zero need to make a panic move because this isn't a playoff team regardless.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If you think the team looks bad now- how does it look next year without a suitable Hanzal replacement?

That said, I think he's gone by TDL. Need a new jersey.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think it's hysterical that the new excuse for not being successful or making the playoffs is that we don't have a Vermette. First, because the problems clearly run much deeper than that, and second because we had a Vermette and bought him out to save 600k in salary (which a couple of us said was a mistake at the time, but the Tippalytic crowd said was a net positive). Hilarious.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If you think the team looks bad now- how does it look next year without a suitable Hanzal replacement?

I've already written off this year. It doesn't matter. Go find a Hanzal replacement in UFA.

Trade for someone like Spooner or Sheahan in the meantime.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One of those guys is retired, and we're paying the other two to play for other teams. One was just bought out to make room for the youth. Whose decision was that?

Datsyuk too. Our fake centers are better than our real centers haha.

Didn't like the Vermette move from the start (one bad year of PIMs and he gets bought out?) We can't win a draw. We're incredibly weak up the middle.

We're a Hanzal injury away from this: Dvorak-Martinook-Dauphin-Gaudet.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We obviously could use center help. But even with Richie, we were thin. This roster isn't a Vermette (or even Duchesne) away from being serviceable. I'm with XX. No need to make a panic trade. Plenty of plug centers available out there. I like Spooner, but I don't think he'd last under Tippett. He's in Julien's doghouse and was moved to wing. Our center needs to be defense first if he's going to get ice time.

White will be the next emergency center.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Pittsburgh has two No. 1 centers. We haven't had one in 16 years.

Minnesota seemed to do the same last year. They canned their coach, brought in a new voice and did better.

We could can Tip, bring someone else in and lose every game for all I care. As long as the players look to be improving, it really wouldn't bother me. Our team this year, on paper, can't possibly be worse than the team we iced last year.

Yet we actually look worse this year. Tippett is fighting for every point that he can. Benching players in favor for those who probably won't be here past next season.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We can probably get Peter Holland for a signed Shane Doan puck, and that's an OK fill in for Richardson. Still have a long-term issue though. Next year is no Hanzal and another rookie in Strome, who could very well be in Tucson.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Holland is a warm body, and not a Tippett player. Need a veteran C so he'll actually get ice time. Get a vet on the downswing from a nonplayoff team or a guy being priced out of his team (Kruger, maybe). Everything depends on prices. I'm not against adding Duchesne, for example, but I'm sure I wouldn't like the price tag.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think it's hysterical that the new excuse for not being successful or making the playoffs is that we don't have a Vermette. First, because the problems clearly run much deeper than that, and second because we had a Vermette and bought him out to save 600k in salary (which a couple of us said was a mistake at the time, but the Tippalytic crowd said was a net positive). Hilarious.

No one said if we had Vermette or Duchene we'd be in a playoff spot. The point is we're weak at C. We're likely going to trade Hanzal. We need to add someone.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No one said if we had Vermette or Duchene we'd be in a playoff spot. The point is we're weak at C. We're likely going to trade Hanzal. We need to add someone.
XX said we didn't need a #1C to look competent before, and Mosby countered that we don't have a middling veteran C like we used to, either. It seems to me that is an excuse for not looking competent.

But you're right. We need center depth badly because of the evaluation failures of our VP.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
8 points less then the 9th place team that has played 4 games. 10 points in last 10 games, 1 point per game clip. That is an 82 point pace. Is anyone surprised? This is kind of who we are:) And what was expected (if you are being realistic).

Oh gee, great. We're only on pace to be 27 points out of 9th place, by the end of the season. Just hand us the cup now.

An 82 point pace over an extremely small sample size, is a lot closer to being disgraceful, than it is to being respectable.

Also, the consensus around the board, even from the apologists seemed to be that we would improve over last year and finish somewhere inside the 80-90 point range. We're currently on pace for 68 points, so no, this was not what was expected. In fact, I would love it if someone could link to the pre-season prediction thread. I can't seem to find it, at the moment.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
That's the thing with a rebuild, you at least expect to progressively get better as the rebuild continues and you eventually reach a point where you contend meaning the rebuild is done. Well, we aren't improving, we're going backwards. Majority of the lineup is trending in the wrong direction, and two of our best so far have been rookie defensemen. One is thrown in and out of the lineup at will and the other just got sent back to Tucson.

That being said, with the exception of CC's girlfriend, all of the veterans have been terrible. Doan is absolutely finished. Hanzal, so cold right now, Hanzal. McGinn floats around like a giant turd that refuses to flush. Murphy has been disappointing in most areas. Stone couldn't hit a barn door from two feet out. OEL is either carrying an injury, or he's given up on life. Goligoski is slowly starting to improve, but generally still awful. These guys should be leading from the front and showing the kids how to get things done. They're failing miserably.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

We need to add, but not necessarily right now. Any moves need to improve the team for the next 2-3 yrs, not just this yrs. (Cuz this yrs is a bust)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
That's the thing with a rebuild, you at least expect to progressively get better as the rebuild continues and you eventually reach a point where you contend meaning the rebuild is done. Well, we aren't improving, we're going backwards. Majority of the lineup is trending in the wrong direction, and two of our best so far have been rookie defensemen. One is thrown in and out of the lineup at will and the other just got sent back to Tucson.

That being said, with the exception of CC's girlfriend, all of the veterans have been terrible. Doan is absolutely finished. Hanzal, so cold right now, Hanzal. McGinn floats around like a giant turd that refuses to flush. Murphy has been disappointing in most areas. Stone couldn't hit a barn door from two feet out. OEL is either carrying an injury, or he's given up on life. Goligoski is slowly starting to improve, but generally still awful. These guys should be leading from the front and showing the kids how to get things done. They're failing miserably.

Don't forget Z!

As far as rebuild timeline, I think it reset when chayka was hired. No one in the organization could have expected much improvement with this much youth and a meh vet roster.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
You know what this team plays like?

A team that consists of young inexperienced players. It is inconsistent and exploited by teams that have more experienced and veteran players. You can't have it both ways. Tippet is blamed when we don't play rookies and 2nd year guys as Dino Dave and now when half the team has not been in the league a full three seasons it is his fault that they don't immediately integrate and win.

These player not only have not been in the bigs for long they haven't been with each other. This includes the Vets too. It takes time for players to get to know and trust each other to develop chemistry it doesn't happen over night. Anyone who thought we were going to bring up all these kids from different teams and not go through the type of teething pains we are seeing now was living in a dream world. We are going through the hard times now as the young kids are learning what the NHL is about and how to play at this level. This is what everyone wanted right? Well, it was never going to be pretty out of the gate. We are playing the long game right now and going through the pain to get the reward 2-3 years down the road.

There is a plan. We are executing the plan. Be patient and don't make any rash moves, it will get better.

Players from last night that were not on the team 3yrs ago - 5 of 18 on last nights roster are first year

Crouse, Perlini, Dvorak, Domi, Guadet, McGinn, Schenn, White, Chychrun, Goligoski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad