GDT: Game 24: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 11/27 7PM EST

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You know how many times I've seen that exact play in the course of a season (cross check when the player is on the ice)? I think it's cheap, but I'm not sure if I've even seen a suspension out of it. It's rarely even a penalty. A lot of players get some extra punishment when they are on the ice.

Hornqvist did it twice after boarding one of our guys in the corner. He got no call on the play. The refs really lost control of this one in the second period - well before Dubi's cross check on Crosby.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Johansen strong tonight. Reading through the thread and seeing some complaints about his play. Maybe they were just very early on, or maybe watching on TV didn't give the full measure, but he was real good. And shooting, which has been an issue.

I'll agree - and I'm not usually a supporter of his but tonight he seemed to be 100% from start to finish.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'll one thing about the Penguins and their fans, they bring out the best and worst in us. I respect the talent on their team, but I think I dislike their fans more than Buffalo fans.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I hate to say this but... that was the best game I have been to

I actually felt like the Penguins were the more physical team this time

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What an awesome game to be at. Felt like the playoffs. I thought we played well for most of the game, controlled them and played our style, and more importantly stayed with our foot on the gas the entire way. When we got down we didn't quit. We played a great game. **** the Pens, their bandwagon fans, and most of all Hornqvist. Little chicken **** rat.

Was impressed with Falk for most of the night. Nobody really stood out in a bad way.

I don't think Dubi deserves a suspension. Yes, the play was a bit reckless (to the head), it is on Crosby, and it was a hard cross check. But Crosby wasn't injured, and a penalty was called. I feel like at worst its one game, but I think a minor penalty was the right call and it should stay like that.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Sadly didn't get to watch the game last night because we had our Thanksgiving family meal yesterday. With six grandkids it was all Max and Ruby, Ponyo, etc., etc. Son-in-law followed what was happening via twitter.

Pens and Sabres fans have a bad reputation league wide from what I can tell. Was at a CBJ v Carolina game a few years back down in Raleigh. One of the nicest home crowds I have seen, but one guy a row back and over 4 or 5 seats gave us the business the whole game. After the game we were chatting with 5 or 6 other very nice Canes fans when the guy came over to me. I thought "oh boy, here we go". He actually came over to apologize to us for being a jerk the whole game. He said something like " I am used to Pens and Sabres fans coming down here and being real *******s the whole game. You CBJ fans were real nice and well behaved, so sorry I was a jerk to you."

So there you go. We are not alone in our loathing of those Pens and Sabres morons. And sadly, so many are from right here in central Ohio.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
This was by far the best game of the year, maybe even the past two years. It was playoff-intense hockey. I loved how the CBJ fans drowned out the Pens fans every time they tried to get obnoxious and take over the arena. It was a amazing to be a part of it.

Good things I noticed:
-the team is really getting into playing Tort's style defense. Whenever the Pens got into our zone, the Jackets would shut down around Bob and prevent the cheap goals where someone would be unguarded in front of Bob like happened about 643 times during the seven games Richards coached this year. Just amazing what a crappy coach Richards was.
-Bob was Bob. Now that he is getting support from his defense, I think he is going to relax and be the stud goalie he is capable of being.
-RyJo was 100% into the game. And he showed what he can do when He wants to play hard. Great game for him.
-Cam showed his value in his ability to make that "got to have this one" kind of shot.
-I really like Bodnarachuk, or however you spell his name. He is small but very quick, intelligent, moves quickly to wherever he is supposed to be on a given play. I can't see how they don't just get rid of Prout. Between Bod and Falk, that was a decent third pairing.
-I really like what Rychel is bringing to the team.
-Dubie really does bring an intangible quality that the team badly needs in big games.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
-Cam showed his value in his ability to make that "got to have this one" kind of shot.
-I really like Bodnarachuk, or however you spell his name. He is small but very quick, intelligent, moves quickly to wherever he is supposed to be on a given play. I can't see how they don't just get rid of Prout. Between Bod and Falk, that was a decent third pairing.
-I really like what Rychel is bringing to the team.

Cherry picking these three:

-I don't know if that's an ideal definition of Cam's value, but I agree in spirit.
- Bodnarchuk has looked OK (the good kind of OK) but Falk is not a long-term solution as an NHL defender.
- Me too and I was not a fan of drafting him where he was and have felt he was superfluous in the prospect pool. I'd be happy to have been wrong.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Cherry picking these three:

-I don't know if that's an ideal definition of Cam's value, but I agree in spirit.
- Bodnarchuk has looked OK (the good kind of OK) but Falk is not a long-term solution as an NHL defender.
- Me too and I was not a fan of drafting him where he was and have felt he was superfluous in the prospect pool. I'd be happy to have been wrong.

Cam is a bonafide Penguin killer

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
How in the world can a team (Pittsburgh) with that much top-level talent be ranked 26th on the PP?
How on earth can the same team get dominated in 3 on 3 play?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
How in the world can a team (Pittsburgh) with that much talent be ranked 26th on the PP?

I was wondering the same thing. Both times I have seen them they have looked terrible. My guess is the team is not responding to the coach. If it weren't for Fleury they might be down with the Jackets in the standings.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
How in the world can a team (Pittsburgh) with that much top-level talent be ranked 26th on the PP?

What is the phrase...too many cooks in the kitchen? :laugh:

They have a lot of talent. I think the problem is related to their coaching

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

To be fair they were 4-0 in OT before we beat them. Also, we have shown to be very good in OT/SO's in the past.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Still grinning about game last night. It was a reminder of playoff hockey. If these guys can bring two thirds of that level of play night in and night out, they will win a lot of games.

There was a lot to like about the way they played. Most noticeable to me was the quick dzone exits. Most were good passes or dmen skating out of trouble before passing. Many of those passes were in the middle of the ice where if the puck is turned over during that pass (it wasn't last night), it will be on our net quickly.

The defense in general is playing so much better than during the losing streak to open the season. It is fun to watch again.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Curious, what was the % of Pens fans?
Has it gone down in the past few years as it used to seem like it was 70/30 Pens and now it seems 70/30 Jackets.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CU3Xp5MWEAADThN.mp4

Tort's reaction after the Johansen goal was allowed last night :handclap:

(Couldn't figure out how to link a tweeted mp4 so just posting the link. If anyone can directly embed the video, I would appreciate it.)

Gif for those who want it:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Curious, what was the % of Pens fans?
Has it gone down in the past few years as it used to seem like it was 70/30 Pens and now it seems 70/30 Jackets.

There was a game three years ago where the pen fans got the CBJ STH password to buy extra games and pretty much made a home game out of it for pens. The problem with being in attendance for that game as a fan of the good guys is the beatdown the Jackets took. IIRC it was 7-1 pens.

The ratio has gone down for all regional teams over the years. Last night was probably 80-20 to 85-15 range.

zmancartfan

Jan 21, 2011
Medina, OH
Maybe I just missed it while high-fiving my son, but was there "the hug" last night? All I saw was Bob leaving the ice about fourth or fifth from last.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Maybe I just missed it while high-fiving my son, but was there "the hug" last night? All I saw was Bob leaving the ice about fourth or fifth from last.

No hug. Last night was all celly 'round Cam. Good, raw and spontaneous joy. I'll take that night in and night out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad