GDT: Game 23 | Red Wings @ Jackets | 12/4 6PM | Reverse Retro

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
In Finland there's this racing series roughly translated as "everyman racing", which at least used to be cost controlled so that there was a max price on the cars and if someone offered you that for your car after a race, you HAD to sell. The league should implement something similar for goalies!

• Love
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah a fine end to the game. Could've scored there, and overall a reasonably tight hockey game, we could've won this game with some bounces our way. Interesting to see what happens with the lines going forward. (Johnson from down low with that great pass to the front - he needs o-zone time...)

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Yeah a fine end to the game. Could've scored there, and overall a reasonably tight hockey game, we could've won this game with some bounces our way. Interesting to see what happens with the lines going forward. (Johnson from down low with that great pass to the front - he needs o-zone time...)

Yep, glad we got to see Johnny and KJ together, they had some electric moments when they weren't getting pinned. Wish we had some better puck movers on D right now

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's an interesting question why the Wings have been the better club lately. Though tonight is maybe not the best exhibit of that, the chances seemed fairly even overall.

It seems to me that the Jackets actually have more high end skill than they do, while the Wings have some improved checking ability. Larkin and Copp are strong up the middle. They get pucks deep and play smart while we take dumb penalties.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine may be a playdriver, he showed it but now needs to find his play. One plays well with Gus, but Roslovic... . Kent Johnson had the same problem when he played with him. IMO Kent should play with Patrik and Gus, Chinakhov with Jenner and Gaudreau. But Lars decided to have Roslo play center and Kent play winger. The end.
The first pass from the d-men ... even tsunami is a light wave against it.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's an interesting question why the Wings have been the better club lately. Though tonight is maybe not the best exhibit of that, the chances seemed fairly even overall.

It seems to me that the Jackets actually have more high end skill than they do, while the Wings have some improved checking ability. Larkin and Copp are strong up the middle. They get pucks deep and play smart while we take dumb penalties.
Husso and a mostly healthy defense goes a long way. They are better at getting 2nd and 3rd chances and we are more of a 1 and done team. Atleast with Johnny on the ice that 1 is usually pretty damn dangerous.
Add to that I dont feel like my opinion on our coaching has been very hidden lately.

Yep, glad we got to see Johnny and KJ together, they had some electric moments when they weren't getting pinned. Wish we had some better puck movers on D right now

Almost feels like the Bylsma coached Penguins. Especially when Letang was out.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

That is precisely the problem. The only center playing normally is Jenner. Johnson plays winger, Sillinger has what I hope is second season syndrome, Roslovic is not a second line center. Now we either try Johnson play center or we're in pretty big trouble.
Still one, try Kňažko, Berni or Bjorgvik Holm. They can't be worse than Christiansen and Bayreuther. I don't know Berni but Kňažko is a quite good puckmover and Bjorgvik Holm tried he can do it ti in the camp.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Husso and a mostly healthy defense goes a long way. They are better at getting 2nd and 3rd chances and we are more of a 1 and done team. Atleast with Johnny on the ice that 1 is usually pretty damn dangerous.
Add to that I dont feel like my opinion on our coaching has been very hidden lately.

Maybe I'm wrong and our players are better than I think and Lars is telling them to play soft rush hockey, but that strategy sure seems to be baked in by Jarmo's acquisitions.

And a team like the Wings will love that. They'll go ahead and say no thanks to giving us odd-man rushes and say "thanks for giving us the puck, we'll just play deep in your end now".

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Maybe I'm wrong and our players are better than I think and Lars is telling them to play soft rush hockey, but that strategy sure seems to be baked in by Jarmo's acquisitions.

And a team like the Wings will love that. They'll go ahead and say no thanks to giving us odd-man rushes and say "thanks for giving us the puck, we'll just play deep in your end now".
I like some of our pieces but our forward group as a whole is hard to piece together with the loss of Voracek and no 2C. If we had those pieces and you start getting guys like Nyquist and Roslovic furthur down the lineup matchups start looking better. Im almost to the point where im asking myself if moving Kuraly up to a different line for a bit is so crazy it might work or just pure crazy.

Gaudreau-Johnson-Laine gives you a loaded fun line and allows the team to have Jenner center another line. Maybe Nyquist-Jenner-Chinakhov and Foudy-Sillinger-Roslovic as a 3rd line

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I like some of our pieces but our forward group as a whole is hard to piece together with the loss of Voracek and no 2C. If we had those pieces and you start getting guys like Nyquist and Roslovic furthur down the lineup matchups start looking better. Im almost to the point where im asking myself if moving Kuraly up to a different line for a bit is so crazy it might work or just pure crazy.

Gaudreau-Johnson-Laine gives you a loaded fun line and allows the team to have Jenner center another line. Maybe Nyquist-Jenner-Chinakhov and Foudy-Sillinger-Roslovic as a 3rd line
Jenner will play with Gaudreau, Roslovic will play TOP 6 center and Johnson will play winger. Seeing flying elephants is more likely than changes these things. Of course if trade isn't.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jenner will play with Gaudreau, Roslovic will play TOP 6 center and Johnson will play winger. Seeing flying elephants is more likely than changes these things. Of course if trade isn't.
Probably not but until he trusts Johnson at center we are going to be a 3 line team and only 1 of those lines will be a consistant scoring threat

Reactions: VT and majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Im sad noone in the post game interview made a smart ass comment about Johnson finally getting a look and scores on the 1st shift with Johnny

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Im sad noone in the post game interview made a smart ass comment about Johnson finally getting a look and scores on the 1st shift with Johnny
Maybe they saved that question for tomorrow's media availability. They might have some emotional intelligence to not behave very snarky to Larsen right after a defeat.

Another good game from KJ imo, considering how young and unfinished product he still is in many ways. Skating definitely looks a bit awkward in some defensive situations, especially when he's supposed to turn around or change directions quickly which leads to him losing coverage for a second but in my view he's stayed competitive and is generally covering right area of the ice. And the shortcomings didn't hamper the offense today as he was able to take advantage of loose gaps on the rush and made 3-5 skilled east-west passes inside the Wings blueline.

I don't think he has the durability and strength to play on the top line successfully all season long but this well anticipated KJ with JG experiment should last at least for a few games, even if it meant wearing KJ down a little eventually.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

My preference is for Kent to slot in at center, but I don’t see that as happening. Absent that, you’re not crazy. Right now Kuraly is the best center not named Boone though he’s best when at 3C or 4C. Hence the problem - one we seem unable to resolve by a trade or address by showing flexibility using the players we currently have.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe they saved that question for tomorrow's media availability. They might have some emotional intelligence to not behave very snarky to Larsen right after a defeat.

Another good game from KJ imo, considering how young and unfinished product he still is in many ways. Skating definitely looks a bit awkward in some defensive situations, especially when he's supposed to turn around or change directions quickly which leads to him losing coverage for a second but in my view he's stayed competitive and is generally covering right area of the ice. And the shortcomings didn't hamper the offense today as he was able to take advantage of loose gaps on the rush and made 3-5 skilled east-west passes inside the Wings blueline.

I don't think he has the durability and strength to play on the top line successfully all season long but this well anticipated KJ with JG experiment should last at least for a few games, even if it meant wearing KJ down a little eventually.

I personally don't think playing KJ with JG means you have to play KJ as much as JG. Johnny can play 20 minutes and KJ can play 2/3 of his shifts. Give extra shifts to Gus and Patty to cover the rest.

They're also "trying" to cut Boone's minutes, so if they're serious about that, just cut the minutes for that line, and give JG some extra shifts on other lines.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I started watching during the 3rd period. Roslovic seems a hard carry at the moment... His lines had 5% and 22% xGF :D In a single game those numbers are easily skewed, but it's a trend that's been going on with him throughout the season. Wonder what gives. I expect inconsistency from him, but the baseline should be better than this.

Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine at close to 70% xGF so going by that I guess they played well and the line was split mostly because the 2nd line was completely useless?

I almost think they should try pairing Roslovic with Gaudreau, but even though I'm not big on the whole "reward" thing, that just seems wrong...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00